Green House Tambopata(Puerto Maldonado)
US$135
US$57
  • Bar/Lounge
Amazon Planet(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Restaurant
Corto Maltes Amazonia(Puerto Maldonado)
  • Pool
Sandoval Lake Lodge(Puerto Maldonado)
    Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
    TripAdvisor
    All reviewsrainforest expeditionsopen wallthe rivertree climbingharpy eagletambopata research centrehour boat rideclay lickfarm visitopen airbeautiful lodgemosquito nethot waterserved buffet stylea great experiencefood was greatfew hours
    Reviewed 6 November 2012

Everyone in my travel group agreed that if we could have changed anything about our trip to Peru, it would have been to spend more time in the Amazon.
    I won’t tell you that this experience is for everyone, it’s not. Understand that you’re heading into the jungle, an hour long plane ride from Cusco, another hour on a bus to the river and a three hour boat ride to an eco-resort that generates its power using solar panels and gas generators. The rooms have three walls and the fourth is open to the jungle. And if you want to see anything, you’re going to have to hike a few miles to get there.
    Ok, disclaimer aside, Refugio Amazona surpassed my expectations on every level. The staff was excellent! Our guide, Natalia, was wonderful. She kept us briefed and entertained the entire time. We ventured out twice each day to see different sights, stopping along the way to investigate ant hills or to take a closer look at the activity in the canopy. Natalia kept a pace that was appropriate for all members of the group, we had both experienced and inexperienced hikers with us. If any members fell behind, she would pull up the group and point out something new that the group hadn’t yet seen.
    The meals were very good, well prepared and they were happy to accommodate our vegetarian friends. The staff made sure that we were well fed 3x a day and kept a supply of fresh fruit on hand for a quick snack during the day’s adventures. There was a well stocked bar – well stocked for the jungle – and after a long day of exploring the Amazon Jungle, nothing is more relaxing than settling down with a Pisco Sour or a glass of wine before dinner.
    I thought I might have a problem trying to sleep in the humidity of the jungle with insects all around, but I was out quickly each night and the mosquito netting kept the jungle pests at bay; the constant sounds of the jungle were like a lullaby. The Lodge is constructed in a traditional manner; the walls are made from bamboo and the roof of thatch. Who knew you could be so comfortable in the jungle! Oh and I believe I was bitten once…maybe twice…by mosquitoes, but we did have good repellant with us.
    With only 4 days to spend in the jungle, our final tally was: at least 50 macaws, a few dozen parrots and parakeets, 5 monkeys including the baby clinging to its mother’s back, several toucans, wild pigs, one Tarantula, a bat, leaf cutter ants, punk chickens, piranha, agouti, and many more that I can no longer recall the names for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
    4  Thank sully63
    Reviewed 30 October 2012

We didn't quite know what to expect before we arrived. I had visions of a small wooden lodge with basic food and sanitation - afterall, it was in the middle of the Rainforest!
    I was wrong; accomodation far exceeded what I expected and whilst still being close to nature it was very comfortable.
    Food was spot on and varied and there was even a bar... in the jungle?!
    There was a great deal of things to do and see and the staff were extremely accomodating and very knowledgable!
    I won't say too much about Refugio Amazonas because you really need to go and see for yourself!

• Stayed: September 2012
    Reviewed 29 October 2012

What can I say - the place was breath taking. The food marvelous. The bar was great too. The tours of the Amazon were spectacular. The bathroom/debroom were not at all what I was expecting ... frankly very luxurious. If you have the chance ... stay here. You will love it.

The only critism I really had was the coffee (which was free and available all day) wasn't strong enough for my espresso taste. But that is just me.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 29 October 2012

We booked a 3 day 2night stay in Refugio Amazonas through rainforest expeditions. After a beautiful 3 hour boat ride down the river we reached the lodge. It took our breath away! On the first night we went on a camin search which was great. We had a 5am start the next morning to do a canopy tour and spotted a lot of beautiful birds. That evening we saw 2 species of monkeys followed by a jungle walk to an ox bow lake teaming with piranhas! On the way back it was dark and we saw tarantulas and fire flies. Our room was amazing, 3 walls, the 4th was open over the jungle and we saw parrots and monkeys while laying in the hammock.

The only one thing (I wouldn't go as far as to say it was too negative) was that the lodge tries to promote "quiet time" after 930pm so that you can enjoy the sounds of the jungle which I was really looking forward to but it was slightly marred by some of the guides who were drinking in the bar and could be heard throughout the lodge.

Tips;
    Bring light clothes as it is extremely humid. Make sure you have long sleeves and trousers to avoid mosquitoes. Hiking boots are also useful as you walk a lot.
    Bring a flash light as there is no electricity outside the common areas after dark.
    Use mosquito repellent before you go to bed because even though they have nets on the bed my husband and I still got bit during the night.

I would definitely recommend staying here it as was the highlight of our south american trip. I'll never forget my experience.

Room Tip: I think (but i'm not certain) all rooms have 3 walls and the 4th one is open onto the forest. So if you are not a fan of creepy crawlies it might not be for you! Also worth noting that there are no doors on the rooms but each room comes with a safety deposit box. All rooms are spacious with ensuites and very clean.
    • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank bluelillydee
    Reviewed 21 October 2012

We just returned from two weeks in Peru. Our visit was awesome and included the jungle, the Sacred Valley, Cusco, and Lake Titicaca. The jungle, this lodge in particular, was the hands-down highlight of our trip. While everything else was a great experience, we were truly delighted with our experience at Refugio Amazonas. The 2-3 hour boat ride to and from the lodge was part of the adventure. In both directions, our guide pointed out animals and birds; slowing down to allow photos and better view. The lodge itself is short hike from the river and feels very remote and secluded. I was not sure how much I would like the open room, but ended up loving it. For me, it was a natural sound-spa and I slept soundly tucked under my mosquito net. Some reviewers have mentioned the insects -- I was surprised how few there were. I was expecting there to be many more given the location and openness to the outdoors. Of course there were some, but I have had worse problems with bugs in northern Wisconsin.

The food was quite good. I am a vegetarian and they made me meat-free versions of the main dish at each meal, which was more accommodating than I expected. The bar was also very nice and made a tasty Pisco sour. The public areas of the lodge are comfortable and open. There are many areas for sitting around and relaxing. I was pleasantly surprised to find wi-fi available in the evenings. It was slow, but I was not expecting to have access at all in such a remote place.

Our guide, Natalia, was outstanding! She was knowledgeable, energetic and had a great sense of humor. She took us on amazing hikes and did a wonderful job sharing cultural and ecological info on what we were seeing.

My only regret is that our visit here was too short. I definitely hope to return someday.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple