“Once in a lifetime experience”
Review of Refugio Amazonas

Refugio Amazonas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We spent 26 days in South America in Septemter 2012, and the 3 nights/4 days in Refugio Amazons was one of the highlight of our trip. The 2 hours boat trip along Tambopata River from Perto Maldonado was relaxing, yet exciting! Our guide, Listen, who, with his enthusiasm and excellent knowledge of the Amazon, took us on outings in the morning, returning for lunch, and than other excursion in the afternoon. We managed to see lots of wildlife, boat ride on the lake and the Tambopata River, did lots of walks and visit the farm with many exotic fruits and trees. The room was unusual with only three walls, yet surprisingly very few mosquitos. However we were constantly putting on insect repellent, and our friends who did not put on the repellent later found they had lots of mozzy bites. I am also very impressed that being a person with gluten intolerant, the two chefs were always very happy to accommodate my needs and the food was always delicious. The linens were amazingly clean and white, and I was told that they were washed by two person by HANDS!!!!

I found our stay in the Amazon was a safe and interesting place to visit, and the stay at the Refugio Amazons had given my husband and I many wonderful and happy memories!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank midnightSydney

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Everyone in my travel group agreed that if we could have changed anything about our trip to Peru, it would have been to spend more time in the Amazon.
I won’t tell you that this experience is for everyone, it’s not. Understand that you’re heading into the jungle, an hour long plane ride from Cusco, another hour on a bus to the river and a three hour boat ride to an eco-resort that generates its power using solar panels and gas generators. The rooms have three walls and the fourth is open to the jungle. And if you want to see anything, you’re going to have to hike a few miles to get there.
Ok, disclaimer aside, Refugio Amazona surpassed my expectations on every level. The staff was excellent! Our guide, Natalia, was wonderful. She kept us briefed and entertained the entire time. We ventured out twice each day to see different sights, stopping along the way to investigate ant hills or to take a closer look at the activity in the canopy. Natalia kept a pace that was appropriate for all members of the group, we had both experienced and inexperienced hikers with us. If any members fell behind, she would pull up the group and point out something new that the group hadn’t yet seen.
The meals were very good, well prepared and they were happy to accommodate our vegetarian friends. The staff made sure that we were well fed 3x a day and kept a supply of fresh fruit on hand for a quick snack during the day’s adventures. There was a well stocked bar – well stocked for the jungle – and after a long day of exploring the Amazon Jungle, nothing is more relaxing than settling down with a Pisco Sour or a glass of wine before dinner.
I thought I might have a problem trying to sleep in the humidity of the jungle with insects all around, but I was out quickly each night and the mosquito netting kept the jungle pests at bay; the constant sounds of the jungle were like a lullaby. The Lodge is constructed in a traditional manner; the walls are made from bamboo and the roof of thatch. Who knew you could be so comfortable in the jungle! Oh and I believe I was bitten once…maybe twice…by mosquitoes, but we did have good repellant with us.
With only 4 days to spend in the jungle, our final tally was: at least 50 macaws, a few dozen parrots and parakeets, 5 monkeys including the baby clinging to its mother’s back, several toucans, wild pigs, one Tarantula, a bat, leaf cutter ants, punk chickens, piranha, agouti, and many more that I can no longer recall the names for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank sully63
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We didn't quite know what to expect before we arrived. I had visions of a small wooden lodge with basic food and sanitation - afterall, it was in the middle of the Rainforest!
I was wrong; accomodation far exceeded what I expected and whilst still being close to nature it was very comfortable.
Food was spot on and varied and there was even a bar... in the jungle?!
There was a great deal of things to do and see and the staff were extremely accomodating and very knowledgable!
I won't say too much about Refugio Amazonas because you really need to go and see for yourself!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 October 2012

What can I say - the place was breath taking. The food marvelous. The bar was great too. The tours of the Amazon were spectacular. The bathroom/debroom were not at all what I was expecting ... frankly very luxurious. If you have the chance ... stay here. You will love it.

The only critism I really had was the coffee (which was free and available all day) wasn't strong enough for my espresso taste. But that is just me.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We booked a 3 day 2night stay in Refugio Amazonas through rainforest expeditions. After a beautiful 3 hour boat ride down the river we reached the lodge. It took our breath away! On the first night we went on a camin search which was great. We had a 5am start the next morning to do a canopy tour and spotted a lot of beautiful birds. That evening we saw 2 species of monkeys followed by a jungle walk to an ox bow lake teaming with piranhas! On the way back it was dark and we saw tarantulas and fire flies. Our room was amazing, 3 walls, the 4th was open over the jungle and we saw parrots and monkeys while laying in the hammock.

The only one thing (I wouldn't go as far as to say it was too negative) was that the lodge tries to promote "quiet time" after 930pm so that you can enjoy the sounds of the jungle which I was really looking forward to but it was slightly marred by some of the guides who were drinking in the bar and could be heard throughout the lodge.

Tips;
Bring light clothes as it is extremely humid. Make sure you have long sleeves and trousers to avoid mosquitoes. Hiking boots are also useful as you walk a lot.
Bring a flash light as there is no electricity outside the common areas after dark.
Use mosquito repellent before you go to bed because even though they have nets on the bed my husband and I still got bit during the night.

I would definitely recommend staying here it as was the highlight of our south american trip. I'll never forget my experience.

Room Tip: I think (but i'm not certain) all rooms have 3 walls and the 4th one is open onto the forest. So...