“An expensive resort in Mactan Cebu”

Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed there with my husband and 13 yr old son last April 21-23. The resort was teeming with tourists. There were few locals aside from us. I think the resort had the monied tourists particularly the Koreans as their market. The villas n rooms had a Korean touch as seen in the roofs of the complex.

Service is impeccable. Downside is the very expensive priced food in the outlets. It is obvious people stay away from eating there because it's quite prohibitive especially if you know it's overpriced. Even the spa ( which is nicely done especially the wet floors because it's outdoor) is quite expensive when the treatment is forgettable anyway. There were not much people when we were there. Where were the people then? The breakfast outlet was full! I think they took a cab and went on a 30 min ride to the city.

The pool was great but there was hardly any beach to speak off. One should book a boat to take you to nearby island for the white beach and marine sanctuary. Management should do something about making the beach more usable like the nearby shangrila. It's rate is not so far from crimson anyway but it has the beach and big pool area.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank isayqc
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Isayqc,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Crimson Resort and Spa. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

I have noted your comments with regards to the hotel’s food and spa prices which I have shared with my colleagues. I express regret at your dissatisfaction with our beach area. Rest assured that we are constantly looking for ways to further improve on these areas.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at the Crimson during our April 2012 Holy Week holidays. Airport transfers were prompt. We were early so our private villa was not yet available, a private butler toured us around Crimson and informed us about all the available services of Crimson.

Breakfast for all Villa residents are separate at the 2nd Floor Tea Room, with wide selection of good food. Service was very good here.

I like Crimson, its more compact and the swimming pools, beach and spa areas are within easy reach from the private Villas. They also have playground for kids. Service is fast and unassuming. Private Villas have 3 big LCD's, one located at the living room, bedroom and near the bathtub. Reserve your DVD movies in advance, so you get to watch your favorite movies. Room is spacious, Beds are very comfortable, Plunge Pool is clean and water warm. Umbrellas are easily available from all areas. Swimming pool is deepest at 4 feet only. Massage service at the AUM is good but not excellent. They need additional training techniques. The AUM spa has very good amenities.

The beach area, although man made, is picturesque. And sea is clean and little fish can be found near the rocky area. Many beach amenities can be availed of with additional fees.
We had a very relaxing holiday, and we would definitely recommend Crimson to our friends. I will advise to avail of promo packages with private villa and free massage, breakfast and hotel transfer inclusive.

Points for improvement:
Beside Bed, there should be a central switch to control the lights, so you don't have to get out from the bed, just to close the lights. There are ants on the mini kitchen area. The design of the bathroom door makes it close and open loudly. Wifi in room is not very fast. Should provide more accessible electrical sockets for charging gadgets. Sockets are usually located near the floor at the back of the side table, which are hard to get areas. The free transfers to Cebu City should still be available even if it is holy week holiday.

Room Tip: The Private Villas have their own plunge pool, You don't have to get those that are facing the s...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Nomadgirl Manila,

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and, with great pleasure, your good comments about the hotel’s food, services and facilities will be passed on to my colleagues. I have also noted your suggestion regarding a central switch to control the lights. We will look into the feasibility of installing such controls in our future renovation plans.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I actually wanted to give it a 3.5 star but no such option. I think it will be a 3 for some travelers and a 4 for some others. I went down to Cebu for some other business so I am kind OK with it.

First, they have a good pool and great view when you walk in the lobby (can see the pool and beach). Their private beach is okay but kind of small. Often times the beach chairs are packed, and you dont get to do a whole lot water activity (or only on a smaller scale). I did enjoy the sunshine and water (both the sea and the pool) in the morning before I head out. But there's not much you can do after the pool closed at 9 pm (beach at 5 pm). The resort is quite distant to everything else, and you will need to call cab (with 50 PHP surcharge) every time. Not so much buzz around and it takes 20-30 mins to the airport, which probably means another 40 mins to Cebu City. I think it's good for couple or family with children that you'd like to spend some quiet time.

Check in took forever as they only have 2 counters and tons of people arrive around noon. My room was not ready until 2 pm. Had to dine in their restaurant and wait first. Staffs are great and polite though.

I stayed in a deluxe room, which is okay. Clean but nothing special. Not feeling like in a luxury resort but a regular hotel room. The toiletries are not from good brand or from their SPA, feel quite chemical. But it has everything and it's clean.

For the restaurant, the food is OK. Recommend a la carte as the buffet does not worth it. I like the feeling of Azure by the beach. But all food is quite pricy. Again unless you rent a car you can go out to the market to buy some roasted chicken or something else, you don't have many other options. The SPA is good but also on the expensive end.

It's fairly decent for a couple days of stay as it's much cheaper than Shangrila. But it's not a good base if you wanna stay longer and looking for some happening. Not the best option if you are doing island hopping as well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Dear Richardcjy,

I have noted your comments with regards to the hotel’s food and facilities which I have also shared with my colleagues. This will help us greatly as we are constantly looking for ways to further improve our facilities and services.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I've titled this review "Limited Appeal" because I believe this place will appeal to a very limited percentage of independent travelers. If you’re looking for isolation, this is the place for you. There’s virtually nothing within hundreds of yards of the resort, though it may undergo some development now. Once human habitation starts it is with areas of extreme poverty. I’m not sure if the people living near the resort even have electricity as it was always pitch black when we went out after dark.

We ended up at the Crimson because I had business in Cebu, was traveling with a colleague and our wives were along. This was my first trip to the Philippines and I’d have much preferred being closer to the culture. Every place was a taxi ride from the hotel. The other guests appeared to be mostly Korean package tourists in their thirties.

The resort is new and the grounds are nicely landscaped. The pools are huge and beautiful. There is a small white sand beach that is kept groomed, though we saw very few people using it. Once in the water it becomes very rocky. There is no wave action.

One of the disadvantages of being isolated from other commercial activities is the prices the hotel can charge. While wifi was free, a can of Coke cost US$3 and the evening buffet was almost US$50. It was an excellent buffet, but not worth $50.

Our room was of medium size. It had a soft pillow top king bed with four pillows. It was furnished with a desk and desk chair, plasma TV, closet with six wooden hangers, safe, robes and slippers. One of the negative things about the room, and a major irritant of mine, was the total lack of storage space for clothing not on hangers. Living out of one’s suitcase is not a figure of speech here. The room had a small sofa, so it was a handy storage space for the suitcases and, therefore, of no use as seating. There was a balcony with two chairs and a small table. The mini bar had a small fridge and one can make room for one’s own stuff. We received four free small bottles of water daily. The floor was a dark wood. There was a ceiling fan but even with the a/c running full blast it was difficult to get the room to cool well. There was a large opening in the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom with folding louvered shutters. I’m sure that’s so one can watch TV while soaking in the tub!

The bathroom was a little larger than average and had a full size tub and separate rain shower. The tiles on the wall were the same as on the floor, so it was obvious that the floor was dirty. We called about this and they scrubbed the floor but it still wasn’t completely clean after they finished. There were no bath towels on our arrival and we had to wait a fairly long time before they were delivered. After the maid service on the second day we returned to find that no bath towels had been left again. One evening I left a wake-up call for 7 a.m. and they called at 6. The foregoing, and several other things, left me with the impression that there was a general lack of attention to detail and poor supervision.

I have posted photos.

I will appreciate a Yes vote if you found this review helpful. Thanks.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dskid
GMCrimsonMactan, General Manager at Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I regret that you experienced dissatisfaction during your stay with us. Rest assured that the prices of our food and services are relatively cheaper compared to other resorts of the same quality.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our resort soon.

James

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Was going to the Philippines for work and wanted to spend a few days enjoying the ocean and some R and R. I was really glad when I arrived because we got there at about 10am and I was worried after more than 20 hours of travel our room might now be ready. But they got us in a room right away. Such a sigh. The room was new and nice. We didn't have a room with a view or a villa because I didn't plan on spending much time in the room. (of course we didn't). The beach was great, you can snorkel and see fish only steps into the water. I thought the snorkeling would be free, but it cost. However, it was worth it.
Food and drinks were great. Fresh and way better than I expected. Breakfast buffet was awesome.
Had a deep tissue at the Spa and it was perfect.
the best part by far of the experience was the service. Staff was so friendly and helpful.
I would only warm to order a taxi instead of letting them get you a car. the car they sent us was WAY over priced. We took a taxi home from a restaurant and it was 120 pesos, the sent us there in their van and it was 580!
I will say one thing that was funny is that there are so many people there doing "photo shoots". It was almost like people weren't even laying around enjoying because they were so busy walking around with tri-pods taking pictures. LOL. But because of that there were always chairs and day beds available. We never had a problem getting a premium place to enjoy.

Room Tip: If you can afford and you will be staying a bit I would opt for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear 4projectmayhem,

My team and I are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort. Your good comments about the hotel’s food, services and facilities will ensure that we will strive even harder in maintaining our standards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
2.4 km away
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan? Share your experiences!