See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 September 2016

The Hotel Kunming is one of the original high-end hotels in the city, and it is still stunning in many respects even though it is showing its age. The large elegant lobby, for example, is a showcase of gorgeous marble and custom wood features. The rooms (our was 1019) are spacious and handsomely decorated in a classic style – thick crown molding, dark finely finished furniture. Our room had twin beds that were rather hard, with low hard pillows. There were two arm chairs, a small round table, a cabinet with small refrigerator, desk & vanity, one built-in luggage stand, a minibar with coffee/tea maker, a built-in closet with hanging rod but no shelves, and a safe. There were no drawers for clothes. Between the beds was a fancy lighting and a.c. control console that in its day must have been a marvel. It had a temperature setting for the a.c. but this didn’t seem to work and the room was somewhat warm at night. Wifi was ok, though slow at times.

The front desk service was uneven – sometimes friendly and helpful, sometimes indifferent.

The bathroom was large and clad in beautiful marble on the walls and counter top, but there was a serious maintenance issue with the tub/shower combination. There were heavy rust stains on the tub and heavy, ugly caulking that had apparently been an attempt to stop the water leak that had caused the rust. It was odd to find this in an otherwise upscale bathroom. Despite the unattractiveness of the tub/shower, it was still functional.

Breakfast was very good, served buffet style in a 2nd-floor restaurant area that overlooked the lobby.

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in early August, ‘16 at the beginning of a group tour of Yunnan Province. We flew into Kunming early, however, and spent our first two nights on our own at the Grand Park Hotel, which we felt was in a more pleasant location and overall more comfortable. If we return to Kunming we would opt for the Grand Park rather than Hotel Kunming.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NaMakani
Reviewed 13 July 2016

Recently spent two nights at the Kunming Hote with an OAT tourl. The check in was very speedy and friendly. The rooms were a little outdated and somewhat cramped. The beds were very hard. Breakfast was ok. Location of the hotel is only a few long blocks to major shopping and plently of places to eat at around the corner.

Room Tip: 10th floor for non-smoking
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barry T
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Not the best or the worst Chinese hotel I have stayed at, but what stood out for me was the rock hard bed. I mean there was absolutely no give whatsoever in that mattress. I think it was quarried from just down the road!

So apart from waking every couple of hours to massage one side of my body back to life, the hotel was otherwise ok. The room size was OK but the Chinese do then have this habit of filling every inch of floor space with furniture. There was this underlying background smell of smoking, but at least most things worked in the room. This included the control desk from the starship enterprise which controlled every light, the aircon, the TV, and even told the time in multiple time zones.

The bathroom suffered from the usual Chinese aversion to cleaning products, but at least the shower was good.

Breakfast was your usual Chinese version of western cuisine where at least one dish is cold (this time it was the crowd eggs and baked beans).

So as Chinese hotels go, this was a bang down the middle of the road average version. By western standards, not so good!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2016

We stay in this hotel for 3 weeks. There is not a lot of stuff and they are not very friendly. You must search stuff if you need. It is a hotel for chinese people. I am from germany. The rooms and the breakfast was very good. The rooms are very clean and that is the best for me. The air condition could be a little bit coulder. The hotel is in the centre of the town. A had a lot to do in TCM hospital Kunming and that was only 300 hundred meter from the hotel. They had no swimming pool, that the only thing I miss in the hotel. The price is o.k. I only need breakfast and a bed for the night. The rest time I am outside with friends. I come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: I had a room look to the front in the garden in an upper level - very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank RainerRRRR
Reviewed 17 November 2015

Clean and conveniently located (15 min walk to the center, airport bus stops right in front of the building), this hotel is comfortable although we stayed in the so called business center building which is in a serious need of a good make over. Some of its staff speaks a little English. Breakfast is mainly Chinese food but you can get toasts and coffee. One of our best stays in China.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple