Lock in the lowest price from these sites
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
Rakuten Travel
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 December 2018

This is the first time encountering such a rude and unwelcoming experience in Japan.
If you wish to pay for a 5-star price and experience a NO-STAR experience, this will be the right place to stay.
We drove from Furano to Jozenkai and upon arriving at the resort, I had parked my vehicle outside the entrance just to check and ensure it the right place. The moment I step into the lobby, the reception shouted very loud from the counter “NO SPIKES!” Indeed I was wearing spike grip, as Furano was snowing heavily, and their lobby is actually stone floor and not timber. Nonetheless I respect their rule and I said ok, let me sit down pointing to a nearby chair and take it off, to my surprise, he used his body to block me from moving towards the chair and showed me out of the doorway into the snowing walkway to have my spike remove. He simply just turned his back and walked back into the lobby. Thereafter removing the spikes, I went in again to seek clarity on the spikes grip and he simply brushed me off with his reply.. ‘my hotel, my rules!’
Next was the Checking-In process, we asked if he needs to register us first, since room is not ready, He replied blatantly, no check in, check in 3pm, show me a cross sign with his arm. I asked if we could unload our 2 huge luggage at the lobby first while waiting for the check in time, he mentioned that it was possible. We asked if anyone could help with 2 big luggage, he simply pointed to the corner where the metal trolley was. So, I guess its self-service. After unloading our luggage and pushing it into the lobby, he came forward, took our luggage without saying anything and pushed them away into the reception holding area without providing us any identification luggage tag.
We were left unattended at their lobby. Shortly we asked if there is any restaurant that we can take some light snacks, again his reply. No food, no cook! When I asked them if anyone could speak simple English, they looked as if I am asking for something out of the world and simple replied NO ENGLISH.
Their attitude is simply unacceptable, totally hack attitude. With such good reviews on social media and having to pay almost $500SGD per night to stay in 5-star Onsen Resort for a totally relaxing experience, this encounter has simply dampened our mood.
But we certainly look forward to the highly-reviewed room and Onsen experience, indeed the room and their facilities are top-notch, expect the staffs attitude which I will give them a NO-star without any hesitation.
This is the worst experience I had out of my entire travel journey so far, even a developing country of a 3-star hotel performs better than them.
What a shame!

Date of stay: December 2018
7  Thank Lynn L
Reviewed 25 November 2018

Stayed here in No 2018. It was a great and unforgettable stay. Stayed in one of the Japanese style room. Was worried that I won't be able to sleep well at night but I was wrong. The mattress and blanket was very comfortable. The room was nicely designed. Around 7-8pm, they will help you lay the mattress and blanket.

Dinner and breakfast was kaiseki style. Very good spread which left me greatly impressed. Service was superb too. When I was checking out, I realised the lady which served us at the restaurant had to double up and help out at the carpark.

They had a lounge which you can hang out after dinner and breakfast as there are desserts and drinks there. The desserts was good. It was nice to chill at the lounge. Wish I had more time at the resort.

Onsen was good too but personally I thought the water was a little too hot!

Overall, a great stay and I would return if I have the chance!

Date of stay: November 2018
1  Thank Olivia_Ong
Reviewed 19 October 2018

I stayed in this traditional onsen hotel for 1 night, nice onsen with indoor & outdoor pool, high standard of breakfast & dinner,
We choose their wine paring dinner, so, we can try most of wines, sake which are product from Hokkaido.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank TanleyT
Reviewed 15 October 2018

We stayed three nights in a traditional ryokan room. The room was large with an attractive view into the river and everything was super clean. Most people wore their freshly pressed yacatas to meals which was a comfortable option for us after an onsen (Both the indoor and outdoor ones were terrific) but it was the quality of the food that was the best part. The kaiseki dinners were amazing and the best Japanese food I have ever had and I have been enjoying top rated Japanese restaurants in Australia and Japan for 20 years. Each dinner and breakfast was completely different. I loved the breakfasts almost as much as the dinners and there is a buffet with eggs, salads, cereals and fruit if the multi course Japanese breakfast is insufficient. If you go to this hotel, make sure you get the half board package which was also excellent value.

Date of stay: October 2018
2  Thank oliverAustralia
Reviewed 8 October 2018

Took the Kappa Line from Sapporo Bus Terminal to Jozankei. It was cheap and fun to watch the scenery go by, but be forewarned. This is a local bus, so you become part of the scenery. I was literally the ONLY Western tourist I saw from the time I left Sapporo, until the day I took the rapid bus to the airport from Jozanakei.

This was cool in a lot of ways, because I could just relax and not get swept up into some Dougie and Jeannette conversation ALA Shirley Valentine. It was super not-cool in that it was not easy to converse with the hotel staff, the waiters, or anybody. Made asking for amenities or getting simple questions answered a tad challenging without having to go all the way to the front desk. And outside the hotel, forget it. It is not catered to tourists, except domestic ones.

The hotel was gorgeous. I was on the 4th floor, same as the onsen, so I could walk 30 feet and be relaxing in hot water and scrubbing myself down with abandon.

There are two onsens and they change sides every day: male one day and then female the other. I much preferred the side that didn't require a steep set of long steps to get to the outside pool. I actually hated that side, but the side where both the indoor and outdoor pool were on the same level was exquisite.

My room was huge and looked over the Toyohira River. The tea variety in the room was lovely, the tub was short, but really deep. There was always hot water in a kettle, a small fridge and a wild selection of potions, lotions, and soaps. I enjoyed my room so much that I forwent a lot of touristy things, just to relax and stare out the window.

The town is littered with sculptures and photos of what looked like short, fat ducks with a dinner plate balanced on their heads and all of them wearing kitten heels. I tried asking several times what these weird things were. I would get little chuckles and twice I understood the word "Kappa". I broke down and used Google. So, these kitten heel wearing, plate balancing ducks are the town mascot: mystical water creatures called Kappa's.

The only thing I would suggest is, if you are not a fan of SUPER TRADITIONAL Japanese food, make sure you get to the mini-market down the road before dinner or breakfast and load up on some snacks. I would highly suggest the dried cups of corn ramen and boiled eggs. It was fascinating to see a traditional Japanese breakfast, but it was (for me) salty, fermented and inedible. And again, being watched by half the breakfast room and having to pretend I wasn't ready to throw up from what I can only assume was fish bait, that I had just spooned into my maw.

The price was a tad expensive for what was on offer, especially since I went in the middle of the week and the hotel was 2/3rds empty, with that said I would defiantly stay there again.

Room tip: River side, 4th floor
Date of stay: August 2018