“Sparkly Hotel Granvia Kyoto”

Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Ranked #12 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 14 June 2012

There are various ways to enter the Hotel Granvia, which is basically part of Kyoto Station itself, and once we became accustomed to our surroundings we realized it is the most conveniently located hotel in this city. The hotel room is super plush with a lovely view of the city. If you purchase a hotel/breakfast package they have an extensive and tasty buffet. The Kyoto Station is dramatic, with an open air grid design above, incorporating many shops and restaurants below.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mina G
Write a ReviewReviews (3,171)

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto for 2 nights during Golden Week 2012. I had selected this hotel based on positive reviews on TripAdvisor and because of its convenient location, directly connected to Kyoto Station. Anytime you are ready to go somewhere, plenty taxis are lined up right outside the hotel.

Our rate included breakfast and the buffet at Le Temps was right up there with the best breakfast I have had in Japan. (I have lived here for 8 months and good American-style breakfast food is hard to come by.) The breakfast buffet has a huge variety of choices both American and Japanese style. Another nice thing about breakfast was that the tickets we were given to redeem for breakfast could be used for lunch if you didn't make it downstairs for breakfast.

The room was very comfortable and had lots of nice touches I hadn't expected. All the lights in the bedroom and bathroom can be dimmed. There is an alarm clock built into the wall beside the bed that is not so bright that it interferes with your ability to go to sleep. The thermostat allows you to adjust the temperature by half degree increments. The hotel room had a doorbell. In the closet was a pants pressing machine.

We are planning another trip to Kyoto next month and I am looking forward to another stay at the Granvia Kyoto.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pugmama-san
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel in May 2012 with a friend who had not been to Japan before.Intially I thought it too expensive but a sale came up and bought accomodation at a great price.I have stayed here before and love this hotel for its convenience to the station and the fantastic station building.The service is always spot on, the rooms very comfortable,quiet at night despite proximity to railway and convenient to all methods of public transport around Kyoto.I confess a preference to the subway and then walking rather than buses as they often get caught in mid town traffic.
The hotel now also has free WiFi in all rooms.the lobby bar is a great place to relax with a drink after a busy day sightseeing and continue to people watch.We didn't use any of the Hotel restaurants this trip but tried some on 10th floor of the station building; no bad experiences there.Starbucks is just outside station building for those requiring a morning caffeine hit.I would highly recommend this hotel especially if you can track down a sale price for your stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This hotel was a little expensive for our normal travel budget, but we splurged because we had saved elsewhere on this trip. I think it was worth it to have such a convenient location in Kyoto. Taxis were immediately available out front when we wanted to go to a tourist site. The breakfast buffet was very good (OK, I confess - I OD'd on those shumai) ... although I really hate those European cappucino machines ... just pour me a big cup of the black stuff, please. We had dinner one night at the tempura bar ... very fun!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed at the granvia in may for work. Its a good hotel dont get me wrong. But its just not five stars. Starting with the positives its very centrally located - its in the train station! Room was comfortable. But the rooms are a little tired. The bathroom is also not quite up to 5star standard. Room smelt like tehy had sprayed freshener to hide the cigarette smoke. Concierge is good though. Gave me the best restaurant reccomendation - Chihana in the old town.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business