Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Arashiyama Benkei(Kyoto)
US$570
US$399
3,238 results
All reviewstrain stationle tempsgranvia loungedepartment storestation complexconvenient locationcan't beat the locationhotel restaurantsexcellent locationlarge hotelcity viewyour doorstepkansai airportconcierge servicehigh floorsuperior roomeasy access
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Firstly, the location is excellent. It's directly above the train station and the perfect place to plan your cultural assault on Kyoto. Other folk complained about the noise of the trains but it didn't bother me. It might be worth considering if you're an extremely light sleeper.

The service isn't amazing. I was there for work and there are very limited spots for internet and they don't like you working for too long in the lobby.

The traditional food on level 4 is worth experiencing but generally I'd recommend eating outside the hotel. There are some amazing hot pot spots around Kyoto.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim E
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I traveled to this hotel with my 87yr old father and his wheelchair. The staff from the Concierge desk were so helpful and kind. We arrived by Bullet train from Hiroshima and entering the train station and hotel was initially overwhelming due to the size and number of people, but the staff were immediately helpful and considerate. Actually when I set up my reservation, they contacted me to provide me with a room set up for more accessibility for the wheelchair. Traveling with an 87yr old and his wheelchair was a difficult trip but Shiho, M Yamamonto, A Hamada and Murakami at the Concierge desk made it so much easier. Thank you !

Wifi in room worked well and we did pay extra to use the gym and pool. I think the pool fees should be included with the room price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank michelegor
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is a beautiful, elegant hotel in the Kyoto rail station. It's a great location; the hotel could not be more convenient. You can take trains anywhere from the station (Shinkansen, rapids, and locals) as well as the subway into downtown Kyoto. Extensive shopping malls in, below, and next to the station permit shopping for anything straight from your hotel room without leaving the station. It's fairly easy to navigate the station once you figure out the layout.

The hotel has a beautiful lobby. There is a great deal of original artwork throughout the hotel by local artists. The personnel were very friendly and courteous. The girls at the front desk were very pleasant and professional. Guest service staff members roam the lobby to answer any questions, and they take you to your room upon arrival at the hotel to show you how everything works (with no expectation of a tip, since you don't tip in Japan). The concierges were very helpful also, both in the lobby and in the Granvia Lounge on the 15th floor. The concierges in the Granvia Lounge couldn't have been more helpful. I had three relatively complicated questions, and Mr. T. Murai spent a great deal of time with me, looked up answers to my questions online, made phone calls to local businesses, and found answers to all the questions. He really went beyond the call of duty as a concierge. Ms. M. Yamamoto was also helpful.

The hallways to the bedrooms were quiet and serene. Rooms on our side of the hotel (facing the tower) were just on one side of the hallway, so light came through windows on the other wall of the hallway with rice paper-like window treatments muting it. Rooms were very quiet. There was an occasional slight rumbling that may have been the trains, but truly nothing that would bother anyone but perhaps the lightest sleeper. It did not bother us, and we are not particularly heavy sleepers. We had a great view of the tower next door and a nice look toward downtown Kyoto.

Elevators were always quick to arrive and fast up to the 15th floor.

One negative is that the housekeeping staff rolled their cleaning carts into the hallways between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m. every morning (and woke us up). This was noisy and is something the hotel management should change as a matter of policy.

Another negative is that the signage to the hotel in the train station is very poor. We had to ask several people upon arrival on the Shinkansen where the hotel was located, and even then had trouble. Another time, returning from a nearby shrine by foot, we entered on the opposite side of the train station and it took us 10 minutes to find the hotel. Either the train station or the hotel could help with more signs to the hotel.

Our room was very comfortable. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The room was adequate size but not particularly large. Furnishings were nice but looked slightly worn in places. The desk was facing a large mirror, which is helpful for couples since my wife could use that space to get ready while I was in the bathroom. Internet access was free, at least for us, which is a major savings over the typical charges at upscale hotels. Our room had no iron or ironing board, but had a pant press. The room had an espresso machine that was superb, with complimentary espresso, as well as a tea maker for hot water with complimentary teas. The bathroom was outstanding. The shower delivered water to both one's head and body (with no loss of water pressure) and was my wife's favorite shower of all time.

The Granvia Lounge is not what one would expect based on experiences in western hotel chains, and some people will be disappointed (I was, except for the excellent concierge service noted above). It's really a pleasant, comfortable tea room, with excellent service and an outstanding selection of teas and fruit drinks. But there's no food, and you have to ask the omnipresent service personnel for soft drinks or water (which will be quickly and politely brought to you).

We only ate in Le Temps restaurant in the hotel, and it was excellent.

Overall, this was not nearly the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in, but it was one of our all-time favorites because of the location and the service.

Tip: On a prolonged stay (we were there six days), you can save yourself hundreds of dollars (at least) by buying food at two grocery stores in the malls and eating in your room. The take-away food throughout the train station is outstanding, with a huge selection, but we liked Suvaco and Harves, which were small grocery stores with lots of take-out food at good prices. There is enough room in the mini-bar refrigerator to put your own items.

Tip: In addition to all the temples and other attractions, it's worth a trip to the Teramachi Shopping Arcade downtown. It's a large pedestrian-only shopping district with beautiful Japanese lanterns decorating the streets. It's a little touristy, but it's a nice leisurely stroll after all the temples.

Tip: The day trip to Nara is soooo worth it. In addition to the beautiful Buddhist and Shinto shrines, you probably will not see another place with 1000 tame, non-aggressive deer that people are constantly feeding and petting.

All in all, the Hotel Granvia Kyoto is a great choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tripman66
Reviewed 7 July 2012

When I booked this hotel, I booked a room with two queen beds. When I went to check-in they only had a room with two single beds.

Their solution was to offer me a paid upgrade to the only available room in the hotel. I paid about $200 Australian per night, and the room they offered to upgrade me to for an additional $100 per night was the $2000 Presidential Suite.

The Presidential Suite was on the top floor of the hotel, comprised of three bathrooms, gigantic lounge room / living room, office, coffee bar, separate bedroom, enormous walk in robe, and the master bathroom was about the size of a standard hotel room, two sinks, gigantic spa bath and shower.

When we ordered our breakfast, it was delivered by a team of about 5 staff, they came and set up a mini-dining room in our lounge room, and served an amazing champaign breakfast with a few courses.

I hope to stay here again in the future, and for hotel desk staff to mess up my booking once again so that I can get a great upgrade!

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy E
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel is a little pricey, but because of the location we saved travel time and taxi fares. You can catch trains, buses and taxis from here. The Kyoto travel office is located here, and we used them to plan trips every day. The hotel property is lovely; we couldn't even hear the trains from our room. While their meals were expensive, we could always find a place to eat in the train station. We rode the train directly to the airport from here. When we come back in a year we won't consider any other hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple