“Best Wagyu in Kyoto!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Was lucky enough to gain a counter reservation last minute for my mothers 50th birthday & was blessed to a memorable dining experince. We all went with the 13,000 yen dinner set menu. As we reside from australia, we have experienced great wagyu such as David Blackmores Wagyu in australia and this is just as good at a more competive price. Also couldnt fault any of the dishes. The open kitchen adds another element to the night & they even gave candles for my mothers birthday celebration. Will be back!

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We wanted to try A5 Wagyu beef and our first choice of restaurant to try this was close for Sunday so we went here instead. This is in a residential area. From the train station you will have to walk for about 15mins. We called first to make sure we can get a reservation and lucky enough we did get one right away. This is a dinner set. Price is about right and still cheaper than US prices for steak meal sets especially this is high grade steak. We had sirloin. It was tasty and soft. Best Wagyu? Not really. Will I come back? Nah, I prefer yakiniku for my Wagyu steak. It was a good experience though. Staff are nice. They do accept Visa and Mastercard.

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

A good friend in Indonesia recommended this place through Whatsapp around lunch time while I was rediscovering Gion. To save time, I took a taxi and reached Hafuu at 1.20 pm. It closes for lunch at 1.30. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. I ordered the steak sandwich...it was the BEST sandwich I had in my 52 years! The beef was so tender .... deep fried with a thin coat of bread crumbs (?) to a medium rare perfection. I never imagined that deep fried food could taste that good! The toasted bread was soft and the sauce perfectly complimented the beef. I will definitely be back in my next Kyoto trip.

2  Thank Gilang H
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

I went before opening time and there was already a queue. Food was served quickly and it's good to opt for a counter seat so you can see your meal being prepared.

I asked the staff if they recommend a steak, sandwich or rice bowl and they said if it's my first time here, I stood try the steak. I ordered a Wagyu beef filet (4700Yen). By the way, THEY ONLY ACCEPT CASH.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

My boyfriend and I went to Hafuu Honten in May 2018 and had a so-so experience. He ordered the regular set meal, and I got the Hafuu set meal (slightly less meat but perfectly reasonable in size). The meat was very very good (my b/f preferred the sirloin, while I preferred the filet). I can't say that it wasn't delicious, but it certainly was not the best meal we've ever eaten, and I can say honestly that it wasn't even the best beef we ate in Japan (we had much better in Kanazawa and near Takayama with Hida beef). The service was good, but the prices were very high (we paid at least $50 more for this meal per person than we did at several other fine dining establishments with equivalent beef cuts). I think this is all because this restaurant caters exclusively to Western tourists. Every single person at the bar seating area (and in the back) was either American, Australian, or Israeli based on the conversations we could hear. We literally saw at least 4-5 people we'd seen at temples earlier that day (and were hoping to never see again). Of course, we were tourists too, and there is some comfort in Japan in having English speaking servers and menus, but the fact there was not even ONE Japanese person eating there gave me serious pause. Overall, you won't be disappointed with your meal, but I'd encourage you to try Japanese beef outside of heavily touristed Kyoto. It seemed over-priced, and I felt like I was sitting in a restaurant in Sydney or New York rather than in Japan. Disappointed.