“Favorite meal in Japan”

Ranked #16 of 15,110 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shimogyo-ku
Description: Kyoto traditional food (OBANZAI)Kyoto vegetable(vegetalian food)Italian foodSAKECocktail Mon-Fri:12:00-23:00 Sat:17:00-24:00 Sun:Closed
Reviewed 17 January 2018

I ate here while traveling across southern Japan, and this may have been the best meal I ate. I thought the food combinations were very interesting. We got a sampler plate of tapas, and the teriyaki chicken with mustard sauce was excellent. The host was very enthusiastic, and both he and the chef were incredibly friendly and accommodating. I would love to go back the next time I am in Kyoto.

1  Thank Nick B

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

My favourite place to eat in Kyoto what a vibe maybe even my favourite place is japan the chef is a legend.

1  Thank Scott C
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

We’ve just eaten here. Great food. Recommend everything else plus the deep fried fish amazing. It looks like the father is in the kitchen and he certainly knows what he’s doing. Food was quick and super hot.

1  Thank Family106
Reviewed 9 January 2018

Traveling in Japan with a vegetarian husband and a fussy teenager is no mean feat. This quaint little restaurant however was a hit with everyone in the family. The food was amazing, with vegetarian options as well. There were traditional Japanese dishes. We were also introduced to plum wine (wonderful stuff!) which we then ordered with every dinner we had after that throughout Japan... The waiter was very friendly, and the chef is certainly very talented. Would love to go back here should we ever get the opportunity.

1  Thank RayWaspe
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Have been in Kyoto a few days and struggled finding gluten free food. Sugar Hill understand coeliac's food requirements and have GF soy so you can enjoy food with flavour! Great restaurant and enjoyable night with excellent and friendly service.

2  Thank RedheadPete