“The magic of woodblock prints”

Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum
Ranked #196 of 1,293 things to do in Osaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This museum showcases Osakan woodblocks from the Edo period, distinct from those in Tokyo due to their realistic expression of their subjects. Many feature famous Kabuki actors of the period.
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

I've been fascinated with the process of woodblock prints. When I read that this museum offered woodblock print classes, I immediately emailed to make reservations. The museum responded quickly and even changed dates when we shifted our itinerary. The class turned out to be such a simple and hands on way for us to appreciate the artistry, craft and precision required. While the concept seemed so easy, it was quite challenging to print the different colours in the places they were supposed to go. Without words, we had an intimate appreciation of the craftsmen who planned and carved the woodblocks as well as the precise and meticulous printing. The class really brought to life the sweat and tears that went into the prints on exhibition in the museum. It was also a reminder of the history of the
Dotombori area which had many Kabuki houses. Enjoyable and educational for the adults and my six year old.

1  Thank weiwei_sg

Reviewed 25 May 2016

Included in Osaka pass.
It is a very small museum and Japanese art connaisseurs might feel a bit frustrated as the collections have nothing exceptional but I liked the spirit of the place. They offer classes if you book in advance (there is an interesting documentary on the last floor about Japanese drawing art even if you don't attend the class). I really liked the shop; perfect to buy giftS

1  Thank BananaLu
Reviewed 30 April 2016

The Kamigata Ukiyo-e Museum is free to enter for Osaka Amazing Pass holders. Unfortunately, I was not able to appreciate the art, as amazing as they are; and it had little to offer for me. The museum also offers classes to experience printing classes to make your own art: to my dismay, it required reservation in advance. Recommended for art savvies.

Reviewed 26 April 2016 via mobile

This museum was at the bottom of my list due to the negative reviews here. But since I had free time, went to the museum to make use of the 'Osaka Amazing Pass'. There are four floors. Taking photographs are prohibited on 2nd & 3rd floor. The 4th floor is where the classes are held and various displays. There is also a TV showing Japanese and English documentary on the museum.

My mother didn't really care much about the paintings and just whizz through the 2nd & 3rd floor. But when she watched the documentary, she realised how amazing this method of painting was & went through the gallery AGAIN to really appreciate the art.

So my advice would be to straight go to the 4th floor and take your time to watch the documentary. Once you know how it was made, you will really enjoy the gallery and their amazing colours & precision.

Have fun!
Clarice

3  Thank clarice_kn
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 October 2015

This museum is free to visit for anyone who has purchased the "Amazing Osaka" pass, but aside from the exhibits on display, they offer classes to experience making your own prints using ink and wooden printing blocks. There are classes for beginner, intermediate and advanced. The beginner class is only 500 Yen and it is well worth having a go if you are interested in art or paper craft. Bookings are required for the classes.

3  Thank Andyrock81