“Museum of the Filipino People”
Review of National Museum

and up
Introduction to Philippine History Art and Cuisine Walking Tour
Ranked #7 of 145 things to do in Manila
More attraction details
Owner description: This grand exhibit house features the country's most historic works of culture and national heritage, including the paintings of heralded Philippine artist Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo.
Reviewed 17 January 2012

A very good place to spend a weekend. You will learn a lot by visiting this place.

3  Thank Chalkzone

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Most of us have been here during our grade school field trips but this was my first trip here as an adult.

I would say it's not too bad but it's not too well-maintained as well. Some of the exhibits cannot hold most people's attention. To be fair, the staff are courteous and they won't hesitate to greet the visitors.

My only complaint here is that they wouldn't allow DSLR cameras. That would have been good except that my camera just "looks like" a DSLR and it wasn't allowed. :(

2  Thank verargulla
Reviewed 19 October 2011

During our visit, Museum was under renovations and only few halls were open. (This is why no entrance fee). Nevertheless we found absolutely nothing interesting there.
most of the exhibits were dated 20th century. We could not find anything about Philippians history or culture before colonial times. The only interesting exhibit is a skeleton of sperm whale.
So as Museum it is a really not worth visiting.

Maybe after renovation ends, there will be something to see...

2  Thank SkyboyTel_Aviv
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The National Museum of the Filipino People is okay, but it leaves something to be desired. Two of the five floors of the museum are dedicated to items recovered from a Spanish shipwreck (and are not even items directly related to the Philippines). Most of these items are pottery shards and rusty metal objects. The upper floors are a little more interesting because they contain items related to Filipino culture, such as art, examples of flora and fauna, and artifacts from the indigenous cultures. Unfortunately, some of the displays seemed a bit dated.

You must leave all bags, purses, and umbrellas at the baggage counter. The attendant asked me to remove my wallet, camera, and cell phone from my purse to carry around the museum. (Basically, they made me check my empty purse and carry each item separately. Ridiculous.) Be sure to carry your tissues as well because there is no toilet paper in the restrooms.

We also visited the National Gallery of Art next door. Good thing admission was free because it was worse than the National Museum. Half of the museum was under construction and the art was not very impressive. Judging by this museum, there are only three artists in the history of the Philippines.

If you are in the area, these museums are worth a visit. We went on a Sunday and the entrance to both was free (although I had read that the National Museum usually costs PHP 100). Despite what their website says, non-flash photography is allowed in both.

4  Thank Hangzhouren_2
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We visited the National Museum in late April and it quickly became clear that the museum was under construction and repairs. The smell of varnish and loud banging greeted us as we entered. As a result of the construction and closure of some of the exhibits, the entrance fees were waived.

We toured about 8-10 galleries that were open, and the art and history was pretty impressive. Still, the museum seemed to lack some of the grandeur that we expected, probably because of the renovation. The halls were dark and only the galleries were air-conditioned. There were only stairs between the first, second and third floors, no elevators. The staff were friendly and escorted us around from gallery to gallery. We practically had the place to ourselves!

I would still recommend visiting this museum, but be warned that it is under construction and therefore not all that the tour books have made it out to be. Also, it's a still a good walk to the closest MRT stop, and taxis are not readily available from the entrance (at least not when we went mid-day, mid-week).

3  Thank teedTraveller