“Started good, becoming great!”
Review of Cellar Cat

Cellar Cat
Reserve with OpenTable
Cellar Cat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 159 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Description: Cellar Cat is a wine-centric bistro and bar in historic downtown Albany Oregon. With our multi-award winning executive chef, our award-winning mixologist and the friendliest, most welcoming and attentive servers around, Cellar Cat is THE go-to place for dinner. lunch, brunch or a leisurely craft beer or bottle of wine enjoyed on a lazy afternoon. Our New American food is honest (the seasonal ingredients fresh, not hidden beneath heavy sauces or trickery). Our century-old brick building is kept cozy with the help of linen tablecloths and tapestry wall hangings. French-onion soup. Croissant bread pudding. New York Steak. Glorious fried chicken with mashed potatoes. Weekend additions. House made pastas. Smoked beef brisket sandwiches. Steak salad. The list, the deliciousness, goes on and on. Craft brews on tap. Classic and contemporary "cat tails". Marvelous wine. Cellar Cat - the North West's new cultural center and home away from home. THE place to Be Here Now. Meow.
Reviewed 12 January 2018

Number one in Albany in my estimation. Not a huge menu, but always at least one selection that knocks my sox off and an excellent wine list always. Enjoyable live music Sunday nights. Jim and his crew have brought a winner to Albany Oregon.

HollyEvans, Owner at Cellar Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2018

Oh you darling SREuroTraveler person. I thank you, JIM thanks you! Doesn't he do a great job? Thank goodness he had his real job for so long that he could come join us in this latest Cat venture and invest fully in it. He's the best.

The menu is getting a little bigger. We grow and change it in kitty steps, always listening to what everyone has to say. It has grown a bit since your review, particularly the lunch menu. It will continue to grow.

And the music, oh how we love it too! Can't wait to add a second night, it's so wonderful and there are so many all-pro musicians who do the circuit from S.F. and L.A. up to Seattle and Portland and they stop in and knock our socks off along the way! Wowowowow!

Thank you so much!!

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Two of my friends and I met at Cellar Cat last Friday (1/5/2018) for lunch and had an absolutely delightful meal which added to the fun visit with one another. I had the French Onion soup ----best I have ever had and my dining companions both remarked positively about the roasted vegetable sandwich and the cheeseburger they ordered. I snuck two french fries from one companion's plate and WOW! Nicely done! We tried the tomato jam which was incredibly good both to dunk the fries in and on the sandwiches.
We were warmly welcomed by the hostess and had great service by our waiter, that means a lot to feel so welcome. The hostess told us the history of cats in the wine industry---pretty cool!
Wine list is extensive, food menu offers just the right amount of choices, both are reasonably priced. Although none of us had the brisket, we could smell it smoking out behind the building and I will go back for some of that goodness.
Keep up the great work, Cellar Cat!

MaryMo you wonderful woman you!

First, THANK YOU for coming in for lunch. We have only been doing it a short time and I haven't had time to really let the world know about it and Isaac and his crew are doing such a bang up job of it! And you are right; that brisket sandwich is to DIE for! You must try it (though I am avoiding it right now due to my diet; I love it too much).

We really appreciate you coming in and spreading the word. Always let us know what is working - and what is not - we do what we do for you and we listen to everyone. Thank you for the lunch encouragement!! We WILL keep up the great work and do even better!

Merci!

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Great food, Extensive and reasonably priced wine list. Feindly staff. Good service. We ahve eaten here several times. it is our favorite restaurant in Albany. Great for couples, Nice pleasant atmosphere.

Oh Ray Topping what a darling you are! Thank you for coming in, loving us and telling everyone. You are the best! Thank you!!

Reviewed 4 November 2017

My wife and I got away from the kids for a night and this is where we had dinner.

I made a reservation, but on a Saturday at 7, the place was nearly empty.

Our table was by the window which was nice. Our server was slow and I had to ask for my drink more than once, which being how slow they were was not to be expected.

Food was great, though overpriced. I paid $13 for Heirloom tomatoes, and it was literally one tomato...We both had the pulled pork sandwich and for not being a BBQ place, it was spot on.

All in all we enjoyed our time and would likely come back.

1  Thank Michael M

Thank you Michael for choosing us for a date night. Those heirloom tomatoes WERE expensive! Each of those post-season beauties cost around $6, so by the time we added the cheese, fancy balsamic and paid the chef to make it we actually were losing money so we pulled it from the menu! There's only a tiny window when one can enjoy perfect in-season tomatoes without having to pawn the gold watches to buy them. Clearly we need to start growing our own!!

Be that as it may, it is the downside of fresh, scratch-made food, done well it tastes divine but can get pricey, that's where the big boys, the Applebee's etc... leave we independent's in the dust with their volumes of food served at lower prices (they buy bulk from Sysco, not the Farmer's Market). Ah well. We have to stay in front of the seasons and get the best stuff at the best time of year to try to keep costs in a doable range. I agree $13 is too much for one tasty tomato/salad!

Come back! Leave the kids with a sitter. Our fab fish tacos are back on the menu most of the time as is Isaac's fab lasagna. The menu is always changing (in part due to seasons), new things tried, old things moved along. The brisket sandwich that we smoke in-house is incredible and of course half the reviews carry on about the "best burger ever" that at $13 is too cheap and I need to do something about it. Hurry in before I do! :)

Thanks for the review and for coming in and it's good to take kitten breaks for certain.

Cheers.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

The day before the eclipse The place was buzzing and busy but the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The food was good, typical American menu and well presented

HollyEvans, Owner at Cellar Cat, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Thank you Mrs PE for the fine review and for coming to visit us on that crazzzzy eclipse weekend. Wasn't that a blast? So many people everywhere. When next you visit you will enjoy our regular much more extensive brunch menu (that we reduced due to the massive volume of visitors there during the eclipse). We really appreciate your visit and taking the time to review us. Merci!

Been to Cellar Cat? Share your experiences!