“Destiny of Desire is my desire ”

Oregon Shakespeare Festival
Ranked #2 of 50 things to do in Ashland
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't need to head to England to experience the genius of a Shakespearean play. Much closer to home is the Oregon Shakespeare Festival located in Ashland, Oregon. Every year at the end of October you can enjoy on average over ten of Shakespeare's plays performed in both classic and newly imagined style. Separate tickets are needed for each show which is held at one of the event campus's two indoor or one outdoor spaces.
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

As happens each year the staff at OSF are incredibly helpful.

This year we saw two plays. Sense and Sensibility and Destiny of Desire.

Sense and Sensibility was a solid play emblematic of OSF’s work. The staging was outstanding. The two female leads were a bit of a let down as the didn’t push their characters to become important to the audience.

Destiny of Desire is one of the best plays I’ve seen in awhile. Great energy. Each actor was outstanding giving life and “credibility” to their characters and this hilarious tele novella. If you are going to see multiple plays, I strongly recommend seeing this one last. It is so outstanding that the other plays won’t look quite as good. So save this as your delicious dessert to complete your trip.

1  Thank Randy O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"top notch"
in 66 reviews

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed reasonably close to the Shakespeare Festival and loved listening to the singing. It’s truly an amazing experience. We’ve gotten many times and absolutely recommend. It’s one of the best parts of Ashland. The actors are amazing in those are lines there are many family-friendly performances. And it is ridiculously good.

1  Thank featherlyxoxo
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I'm finally reviewing after our fourth visit to OSF. We saw Othello and absolutely loved it - as much as we loved Hamlet two years ago. (Kudos to the actor who played Hamlet two years ago and Iago this year.) The costuming, set, acting and modern take were exactly what you expect - very high caliber. I would see this again if given the opportunity.

However, the next day we saw Sense & Sensibility and didn't have the same experience. We didn't care for the acting. The costumes were fine, but nothing special. Because of the "doubling-up" of actors, the story line becomes confusing. One scene an actor has one part and another scene they are someone else completely made it difficult to follow at times. I forgave all of this until the ending and then I just couldn't. The play stuck w/ a more traditional stance - costuming, accents, scenery, but at the very end at the wedding scene, they all broke out in some modern rendition of a dance and it just didn't fit. I walked away disappointed in this one.

Because of Othello, I forgive OSF for Sense and Sensibility, but I would never recommend to anyone to see the play - rent the video w/ Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman.

2  Thank Shirley J
Reviewed 5 March 2018

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is a jewel for Ashland. I have been to plays at all three theaters and every one was a superb production. The acting and production is first rate.