“Steak for Two”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: (803) 642-4488
Reviewed 13 March 2017

My wife and I and four other couples enjoyed an excellent dinner with very good service provided by our waiter Mier. My NY strip was cooked to perfection, and for an $8.00 service charge I shared it with my wife. The dinner included salad served family style, and we each received a dinner plate with mashed potatoes and onion rings. Side dishes are also availabe, as is a superior wine list. Randy, the owner, who has extensive experience in the restaurant business, and is very welcoming, greets you at the door. You can't find a better steak dinner in Aiken.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

We were a group of seven and ordered appetizers and a lot of the menu. The Calamari was light and not oily. The Bread was outstanding, The Salad included with dinner was very good. The Steaks, Shrimp and Salmon were excellent. We had several desserts and cocktails and everything was just great.

The Wait Staff were Friendly, Professional and Attentive,

I did make a mistake in ordering the Delmonico Steak. It was very flavorful, but extremely chewy.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Went here for my birthday while on a visit to Aiken. We had made reservations earlier in the week and it looks like they stay pretty busy on the weekend, so a reservation is probably needed. The restaurant is very nice, set off the main drag. We started off with lobster bisque which was good, but we couldn't find any lobster in our three bowls. That was disappointing. My daughter and I had the filet cooked to med rare. Came out perfectly cooked with a good sear on the outside. Very flavorful. The mashed potatoes were also very good. My wife had the crispy duck which was quit tasty. She really enjoyed it. We were going to order wine, but everything was priced by the bottle. We were looking for a glass since the bottle prices are set a little too high in my opinion. The waiter said we could do a glass, but it was too troublesome to keep asking about prices for a glass. They need to show both as most upscale restaurants do. If it isn't available by the glass, then don't mark it. Easy enough. It is on the pricey side. Three lobster bisques, two filets, one duck, a keylime pie for desert, and three beers. $192 + tip.

Reviewed 24 February 2017

I had been warned about Prime, but I had my mouth set on steak and though it couldn't be that bad. I had ordered a steak medium rare. I actually tasted burned pieces on the outside. The inside was okay except for a string of gristle through the middle. And the steak itself really did not have much flavour. Watery potatoes, overly seasoned mushrooms, and a soggy salad rounded out the meal. It was not the waiter's fault, and he gave good service, it was just not good food, and to think I paid twice what I would pay at Longhorn's, not that I hold Longhorns up as a good restaurant, but double the price for worse food sort of illustrates the point.

2  Thank vfdeese2
Reviewed 16 February 2017

Ate dinner here recently on recommendation of friends. This is a small restaurant in downtown Aiken - probably only about 15 tables. I liked the ambiance - bare brick walls, nice lighting, interesting art on the walls. There are about 5 flat screen TVs in there, but they are placed high enough so that you don't even have to see them unless you really want to look up at them. I did not find them intrusive at all. The volume was low on all of them. All but one of the TVs was running a video of the Stones playing with some blues musicians (and from the looks of Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, it was from the 1980s) but, as I said, the volume was low and I actually enjoyed the music in the background. Noise was not a problem. Even though the room was full, my husband and I could easily talk to each other.
Service was excellent. Both the owner and the waitress were very attentive. I was surprised that there was no wine list. If you want wine, you to listen to the waitress rattle off what is available and make your choice from that. It couldn't cost that much to print up a dozen or so wine lists so patrons can take their time to peruse the choices and see what is available.
Now to the food. Bread serving was a little skimpy and not served warm. Each table is given a family style salad in a single bowl to serve yourself. The salad was almost exactly what you get at Olive Garden - iceberg lettuce, a few chunks of tomatoes, some olives, and a couple of jalapeno peppers in a vinaigrette dressing. Not bad, but nothing impressive. The steaks are served with garlic mashed potatoes and onion rings. The mashed potatoes were very good, but the onion rings seemed to be of the same variety you buy in the freezer section of the grocery store. The beef however was excellent (and this is what you come here for) I had the filet & my husband had prime rib. My filet was cooked just as I ordered and was excellent - very tender. My husband said that the prime rib was the best he had ever had. The desserts are also very good.
While the meal overall was good, I think that, considering the price (over $100 for a dinner for 2), a little more attention to detail (wine list, warm bread, more imaginative salad ingredients) could easily vault this place to 5 stars.

Been to Prime Steakhouse? Share your experiences!