“Not impressed”

Candlewood Suites - Austin South
Ranked #133 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 14 March 2016

To start off the positives were that I requested a room opposite of the highway, and they fulfilled my wish. The room was larger than I expected with the large desk and the miniature kitchen.

After I checked and got on the elevator I instantly got a whiff of cigarette smoke. The smell continued on my way up to the third floor. The entire hallway smelled like every room was chain smoking. I was surprised by the stench considering the majority of the rooms I passed had a non smoking sign.

Thankfully when I entered my room, it did not have the same odor as the hallway.

I found some gross stains on the curtains when I went to close the shades for the night. After seeing that it made me question the cleanliness of the rest of the room.

Note: Breakfast is not free, and must be purchased from the pantry.

Room Tip: Request a room opposite the highway
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Dear TobiasAugustus,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient from the highway and had liked the size of our rooms and kitchens. On the other hand, we apologize for any inconvenience regarding with smell of smoke along the hallways and the cleanliness that was missed out by our housekeeping staff. Your feedback is highly appreciated as this helps us gauge what we are doing right, and identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We hope you would consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Dianne L.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 8 February 2016

Your regulation Candlewood in a moderately edgy location next to a freeway. Just there for an overnight, but was disturbed by the folks sitting in the lobby when I checked out. Thin walls - heard the guy snoring next to me - truth be told, he probably heard me, too...

I won't return.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2016

Dear deep_in_Dallas,

Thank you for your stay and your comments. We're so sorry to hear that you had a noisy stay with us. Your comments have been escalated and we will look into the situation. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to better accommodate you.

Christian C.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 7 January 2016 via mobile

Staying in Austin for the weekend, nice establishment as well as a decent price for two days. Rooms were clean, comfortable bed, nice kitchenette area. Staff was very friendly and laundry facilities were free. The only complaint I have was that the room smelled of curry as well as the hallways, and the water had a bit of a funny smell and taste. This may be due to whom ever stayed in the room before us, and as far as the water goes that may just be the area. I would definitely stay in this hotel again, all in all it was a good place.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 3 January 2016 via mobile

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and very adequate. It was our second time to stay here while visiting family and we will stay again because the location is great and it meets our needs.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Purpkerose57
Reviewed 21 December 2015

This hotel is a nice little home away from home. The staff is great and always willing to help you help if you need. the floors, lobby and rooms are really clean which gives you a good sense the staff looks after the place.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business