“Good, not Great.”

Ranked #62 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Let me start off by saying that this resort/spa is very very good. My wife and I really enjoyed our treatments, and it was a good getaway from our busy business lives and work travel. We purchased a day spa pass. The facilities were super clean (like, ridiculously clean), and it was a relaxing environment.

However, while I aim to try and give five stars for most places I visit, I found it very difficult to give five stars to Lake Austin Spa. Access to and the taste of the food was OK at best, the staff could have been a bit more welcoming and friendlier (the waiter spilled a drink at our table, and was eager to take away our plates and give us the bill before we were done), and there wasn't a waitstaff present at the pool (which is fine in most other situations, but when paying $$$$ for a stay, that comes with some expectations of service).

Also, I couldn't get a cell phone or wifi signal at the day spa, and while I know this was a getaway from work -- this is 2017, and we are a connected society.

We may give Lake Austin another go (maybe spending a night), but not sure if I can give it a solid recommendation as a getaway for other folks.

Stayed: August 2017
lakeaustinspa, Managing Director at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Dear Kevin,

We appreciate the kind comments about the treatments you and your wife experienced and are happy to hear that you were able to get away from your busy lives and enjoy some time at the spa for a day. I will pass along your comments to our food and beverage department so they can follow up on your concerns at the Aster Cafe. Regarding cell service, we encourage our guests to leave their digital devices out of the spa - not only as a way to get them to relax, but also as a courtesy to others trying to enjoy some much needed quiet time. You can get cell reception in the parking lot of the LakeHouse Spa, so guests can take an important call or check email if necessary. We’re sorry this was an inconvenience for you and hope you’ll be back to spend the night and get the full experience. If you’d like to discuss further, please feel free to call our main line at 512-372-7300 and ask for me. I would be happy to continue this conversation.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Recently visited Lake Austin Spa Resort for a day at the spa and it was phenomenal. The spa is decorated like your best friends lake house (cosy and warm,) the boutique was well stocked with wonderful organic brands and the technicians are highly trained and specialized in their fields. My masseuse integrated hip movement and focused on trigger point release which released a lot of tension.

Stayed: August 2017
lakeaustinspa, Managing Director at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Marwa,

Thank you so much for the generous compliments! We strive to provide the very best for our guests and are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit so very much. We look forward to welcoming you back to the lake again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2017

This was my third visit to Lake Austin, the last one being two years ago. It's a beautiful resort: there is much to do from water sports to classes (cooking demos, cardmaking etc), to fitness along with the spa itself, which offers a wide range of indulgences from facials to massages to acupuncture. The food is mouthwatering and the portions are reasonable: not crazy double portions but just right for the healthy eater. The level of service has changed however: in previous visits the staff could not do enough to provide a positive, special experience. This time, I had to ask for a Lake Austin water bottle, which previously had been presented (with my name on it) as part of the welcome upon arrival. And when I asked for one, the person who gave it to me seemed...annoyed. Room service was also inconsistent. We made a special request for my daughter's birthday (breakfast) and it was excellent. Two days later we ordered breakfast from room service, and the pancakes I ordered arrived with exactly one (!!) small pancake sitting beneath the metal cover. Really? Our room was nice but something was wrong with the bar provided for hanging clothes and it was hard to get clothes on it as it didn't hang straight across. We had fun but it was not the across the board special experience that I had on two previous visits when the staff was welcoming and service-oriented across the board.

Room Tip: a room with a lake view is preferable
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
lakeaustinspa, Managing Director at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear KatienBill,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I apologize that our service levels did not measure up to your previous visits and I assure you we take these concerns very seriously and will be addressing these issues with our team. I would like to invite a follow up conversation with you, offline, to discuss this in more detail. Please send me an email to info@lakeaustin.com and we can arrange a time to talk.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Booked this trip on the spur of the moment (18 hours before arrival) and was not disappointed. Rooms were not ostentatious but quite comfortable and quaint. The public spaces were comfortable and well maintained. The food quality is OUTSTANDING well prepared and presented. We enjoyed the lakefront area and activities and spent probably the hottest day this summer relaxing in the cooling waters of Lake Austin don't know what else we could have asked for.

Room Tip: Best views are from the room block closet to the spa
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
lakeaustinspa, Managing Director at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear Robert,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we're so happy you enjoyed so many aspects of Lake Austin Spa Resort and we also can't get enough of Executive Chef Stephane Beaucamp's cuisine! So happy you were able to take a dip into Lake Austin too. We look forward to welcoming you back to the lake soon!

Reviewed 18 July 2017

This place is a little piece of paradise. You almost have no choice but to relax as soon as you enter the door. Went with friends for a girls weekend and enjoyed relaxing by lake in hammocks and lounging in the pool before enjoying an excellent lunch and one of the best massages we have ever had. One of my friends said it was, in fact, the absolute best massage. The facilities are clean and comfortable. The Blue Room where you relax before and after the treatments may be my favorite place in the world. The only reason I am not giving five stars is because of the service. The management needs to focus on training. The young girl who checked us in was rather clueless and sort of rude as well. The waiter at lunch was equally as clueless. For a spa of this caliber, it was surprising not to see a better trained staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank acker98
lakeaustinspa, Managing Director at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Dear acker98,
Thank you for the feedback and for the kind and effervescent words about our food, the treatments, the Blue Room and of course the hammocks - one of my personal favorite places to relax on property. I’m truly sorry that you did not experience the excellent service that we strive to provide each of our guests. I would be happy to have a further conversation with you offline and hope that you will get in touch so that we can work on improvements for future visits. Please send an email to info@lakeaustin.com with your contact information and I will follow up with you personally.

Lake Austin Spa Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#2 of 202 in Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#8 of 202 in Austin
W Austin
#20 of 202 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Lake Austin Spa Resort? Share your experiences!