“Nice clean hotel but bright property lights shine in rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Austin Airport
Ranked #121 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I had stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and was very happy with the nice, fresh, new bed linens and decided to book again. The room was good, but I didn't get the same comforting feeling as before. The property has bright flood lights that were glaring into the room until about 3:00 am which was disappointing. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and the free hot breakfast was good. I would recommend this hotel, but ask for a room that is not facing the ground property lights.

Room Tip: Ask for a inner room not near ground flood lights that shine up
Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 October 2011

My room was huge, clean and comfortable, and the staff most pleasant and helpful. I had booked through Hotwire because of it's rating and airport van service.

My only problem had to do with my pick up on arrival at the airport. Since I have knee problems, I called the hotel a few days before to get down the logistics of connecting with the van at the airport. She told me the courtesy phone was right across from the baggage claim and the area I'd be picked up was right outside the door. I asked her if there was a place to sit, and she said there was. The reality was that after I phoned the hotel that I was ready to be picked up, I was told to wait between pillars 6 and 7 outside. Once I got outside, I couldn't see the numbers on the pillars, but a kind airport employee showed me where. Once I got there, it was a greater distance from where I'd claimed my baggage than I'd anticipated, and there was nowhere to sit, and the wait was a bit longer than I'd hoped. Once I was picked up, everthing was great; the concierge himself was the driver filling in, and he invited me to Happy Hour was was to begin in a bit.

Happy Hour -- actually available more like three hours -- offered local draft beer, local and California wine, iced or hot tea or coffee, both beef and chicken taquitos, tortilla chips with cheese dip and/or salsa, sandwiches, popcorn and crudites with ranch dressing! After spare airplane edibles, was I ever ready for that!!!

The swimming pool -- very attractive -- was great for exercise and relaxation in 88 to 90 degree October afternoon in the Heart of Texas.

The WiFi worked very well, so I got some work done.

This was by far the best of the five hotels I've used in the past four years of trips to Austin.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TexanJerseyite
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My colleagues and I traveled to Austin recently for a conference and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express instead of the conference hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff and the comfortable accommodations. The hotel hosts a nice happy hour each afternoon and serves a full, hot breakfast. It's close to the airport and major freeways in the Austin area. The front desk staff was friendly and made several recommendations about restaurants in the area and made us feel welcome. We're planning to travel to Austin again this winter and are making plans to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Although I appropriately cancelled my hotel reservation as required, I was charged nevertheless. Discussions were fruitless. The "day manager" was very rude and unfriendly, her name is Nora Morales. I took this situation up with the national Holiday Inn service center (1 800 621 0555). They advised I call my credit card company to have the charge cancelled or talk to the owner. So I opted for the latter at the time being. I learned that no day manager would be available the next three days and the owner was in California but could be reached anytime at ----------. So I called only to be shocked by the lack of education and social manners expected of a hotel owner. Billy, the owner, claimed he had nothing to do with daily business and could not help. ????? Uhhh ??? In my opinion, this hotel does not deserve the name Holiday Inn. Unfortunately, a few rotten apples always ruin the bunch. At least the credit card company could help. Hope Billy was enjoying California. Do you think he was staying at a Holiday Inn? I wonder.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Angelica G
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Be aware of thieves at the hotel. They state they have cameras and security but they do not. Even the crime scene unit and police officer could not find cameras outside. The hotel itself was good and the desk was nice. But when you park right in FRONT of the hotel and someone bashes your window and takes over 500 dollars of stuff. Well just add it up.. almost 1000 when it was said and done, a Saturday down the drain, and it makes the overall stay a bad one! Its funny how they were so nice but not as helpful with the crime that occurred. Get a rental and have them break into that but from what Austin PD told us its a high crime area for hotel vehicle break ins. Of course the hotel wont tell you that and they will put their stupid signs that they are not responsible. I get that but put those signs when you have at least some sort of security for your customers!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family