“Whole leaf Caesar salad”
Review of Asti Trattoria

Asti Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Asti Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #247 of 4,243 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Duval Road
Description: Asti Trattoria features excellent regional Italian food with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients. Located in Austin's historic Hyde Park, it offers a unique neighborhood experience in the true spirit of an Italian trattoria. Whether celebrating a special occasion with a great bottle of wine and a five course dinner or coming in for a pizza and a beer, Asti offers an unmatched combination of quality, affordability, and an atmosphere that welcomes any occasion.
Reviewed 5 June 2017

My hubby and I went here for dinner before heading to the theater. It's a small little modern, bright Italian place that has been in Austin for decades. There's a open kitchen with dishes etc...stacked all around so you can't actually see into the prep area.

The service was excellent.

My hubby ordered the Caesar salad and while the server asked if he wanted anchovies he didn't mention the Caesar was whole leaves of romaine lettuce. Not a problem for me but my hubby cannot cut his food so I had to cut it for him. (He hates when I have to do that for him in pubic.)

We both ordered the carbonara. It had these odd grey/black what tasted like deep fried lumps of pork skin sprinkled all over it. Well that's when my hubby gave up. Took 2 bites and said never mind. He didn't like the dish at all. I quite liked the pork but not the spaghetti at all. My plate was very liquid and rich/creamy. My hubby's plate was cheesier and not so runny. Not what we expected at all.

It wasn't noisy when we were there but the tables are very close together so when it's busy noise could be an issue.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Five of us had an excellent dinner at Asti Trattoria on a busy Saturday night, but the kitchen never wavered. A chef's gift of a snack was a new touch, and it was delicious. They also provide wonderful focaccia for the table.

We started with a couple of appetizers for the table. The blanca pizza was delicious as always, but the beet cured salmon was a new treat for all of us, and we loved it. The only other dish for sharing we had was a side of well roasted brussel sprouts - very nice.

Everyone loved the entrees, which included gnocchi that was remarkable for everything else in the dish as much as for the gnocchi itself. It was a melange of different flavors that worked together quite well. The rigatoni was equally appreciated; these people know pasta. I had the caprese salad with burrata instead of mozzarella. It was very pretty, but nothing out of the ordinary.

We finished with chocolate cannolis, affrogato and tiramisu. Opinions of desserts at our table varied between good and very good.

Our bill for the six of us came to just over $250 with the mandatory tip and tax.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 2 May 2017

Creative, varied menu, and excellent quality food. We hard a large table, and everyone seemed quite happy.

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

This is an appealing Italian restaurant with good food. Not a white tablecloths type. The waiter was engaging and efficient. My wife's quail with demi-glaze balsamic vinegar reduction over puréed sweet potatoes was excellent. My capellini with meatballs was less showy but still very tasty. Tiramisu and gelato were enjoyed.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

Four of us were here for dinner on a recent Saturday evening, two new to Asti and two old hands having dined there many times before. We had a reservation and found parking right outside on the street (there is also a lot a half block away). The restaurant is small in size, but the menu is large and everything we tried (including the day's special) were very good. Wine is a bit pricey (approx. $12 a glass) but also available by the bottle. The service was excellent and non-intrusive and helpful. The newbies loved it and as for the vets, we'll be back again.