“One of my favorite luncheon restaurants”

Umi Sushi Bar and Grill
Ranked #742 of 4,027 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 17 August 2016

Umi is a nicely laid out restaurant with the sushi bar in the back where it is quiet and one can appreciate the their expertise in making of the dishes. We ordered off the luncheon menu which has a great selection. We always order the garlic edamame which is for garlic lovers only. Love it! I had the yaki soba which came with a salad and great miso soup. It was almost too much. I have always had a satisfying meal at Umi. I did find the service a bit slow but nothing that would take more than a tenth of a point off.

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Great place. Went in during happy hour and left happy. Had assorted of sushi and appetizers and enjoyed everything. Staff friendly

Reviewed 28 June 2016

I came with a group of friends on Saturday night and were excited to eat delicious sushi as we had heard good things. However, our waitress was quite slow at serving us and bringing out the food. Two peoples food would come out at a time with the last three people receiving their food after the first two had finished. While the food was good the lack of good service really left a bad taste in my mouth. Then to find out we had gratuity added into our check for being a party larger than 6 was the cherry on top.

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

A Groupon motivated us to go to Umi for a recent Friday date night dinner, and the excellent food, popping atmosphere and excellent service definitely earned us as return diners.

I recommend a Bento Box because you'll get a lot if tasty, Umi delights in each box.

The House Signature Rolls is chock full of special rolls like the Longhorn Roll, and many more familiar options such as the Dragon Roll.

Even if you don't have a Groupon, Umi Sushi is worth your time, money and taste buds.

1  Thank markstorey
Reviewed 3 June 2016 via mobile

I took the wife to dinner last night while we were in Austin. We found Umi tucked away in a little strip mall.

The size and architecture were a surprise, because it was way more than what you would expect from a store front in a strip mall. It was very nicely built and decorated, making an excellent first impression as we walked in the door.

We were seated and got our drinks within a minute. It wasn't very busy and yet it took the waiter about 15 minutes to come back and take our order. That's when I started noticing some things that would prohibit me from coming back.

1) The music was terrible. It doesn't fit what you would think of when dining at a sushi bar. It was like a new age drum machine driven- echoey vocals kind of tune. It sounded like the same song being played over and over again..... Very monotonous, to the point where it became irritating.

2) The music was way too loud. The drum machine percussion prevented any type of conversation. We waited for our waiter for 15 minutes and couldn't really talk. This would be a terrible place to take a first date. We ended up both passing the time looking at our phones. Not the romantic evening I had hoped for.

3) The waitstaff was dressed in very very short skirts with black lace type thigh high stockings. Inappropriate for taking someone out for a nice dinner. The wait station looked like a bunch of hookers standing out a corner. It felt like they were going for a Hooters type thing, but from the waist down.

The food was great. Really really great. I think every table could be filled if they changed the above 3 things. Unfortunately, the in house dining experience was ruined by decisions of management. But..... You might see me picking up a "to go" order.