“Great place to enjoy a quiet dinner”

Texas Land & Cattle Steak House
Ranked #1,140 of 3,970 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Austin
Reviewed 25 August 2016

We ask the hotel staff for a nearby place to go and have a steak dinner. This was the restaurant that was recommended. It was a little difficult to find but once we arrived, we enjoyed a nice, quiet dinner. There really isn't much of a steak selection but the NY Strip was very good. The layout of the restaurant is very similar to a LongHorn restaurant. I'm not sure if I would visit this restaurant again but the food was pretty good and after a long flight it was a great place to just relax.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

TXLC (the I35 north location) was the first restaurant I visited during my first visit to Austin. I wanted to order a sirloin steak, but the waiter recommended the smoked sirloin, instead. I "obliged", and have never ordered anything else in that restaurant ever since.

I have since left Austin, after having lived there for two years, and visited only a handful of times. Last time was this week, and of course, I went to TXLC again. The place still looks promising from the outside, but going in, it does not live up to my memories.

The place looked a bit faded, or maybe it was the the late hour - i don't exactly know. The expected "would Pepsi be OK?" from the waiter was not a surprise, but still a bit of a shame. The sourdough bread, which I never really loved, tasted exactly the same as it did 16 years ago, and kind-of brought back memories. But there was no real nostalgia at that stage.

And then out comes the smoked sirloin, and everything is alright again. This still is the best dish I have tasted, made of sirloin. It's quite simple, really - 4 slices of about 1 cm thickness of peppered, smoked sirloin, with a side of fries (simple me). The gentle smoked taste, the tenderness and the juiciness is just right, and a perfect excuse to continue visiting the TXLC whenever next I visit Austin.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Their freshly baked (not microwaved) bread is delicious! Their smoked sirloin, besides being economical, is very tasty.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

It never fails with this place; they always serve the best steaks in town and always a pleasant experience. This particular location needs a new makeover to uplift it and make it hip again. Their New York strip is the best and their string onion appetizer is delicious!

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Wide and varied menu including quail and seafood along with beef and pork.

Good, friendly service, very attentive to our needs.

A wonderful dining experience.

Been to Texas Land & Cattle Steak House? Share your experiences!