“Shim L”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Stopped in on a visit to Austin after hearing many good reviews from others. Very big menu with lots of choices depending on your appetite. I chose the Migas with flour tortillas, (first time trying this dish) it was very good. Basically an egg scramble with onions, peppers, jalapeños, and some melted cheese. A few chips were broken up in the dish as well, served with black beans and the warm flour tortillas.
Definitely would go back as many other dishes looked fantastic as well.
Be sure to stop in when visiting Austin you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

The cafe has a lively atmosphere with a Bohemian edge to it. Staff were pleasant and we didn't have to wait overly long for our food. The food we found to be generally acceptable without being in any way exceptional.
However there was one aspect of the food which as a European traveller I find depressingly common in America - poor quality salads. I had salad with blackened fish. The trouble is that too often you are simply presented with a an average sized dish or bowl with a gargantuan amount of salad ingredients piled up in them and with a bowl of some nondescript gooey liquid in a small bowl next to it. The key to good salads in my view is simplicity but what I was presented with was the opposite - not just the usual salad ingredients like lettuce and tomatoes but bits of rock hard bacon, blue cheese etc etc all in a large unwieldy pile which would have been sufficient for two or three people. Salads only require a few ingredients which should be tossed thoroughly prior to serving so that the dressing has adhered to the lettuce etc. I would also say that a salad dressing (vinaigrette) should be prepared fresh every day - good quality olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper thoroughly mixed before the salad is tossed in it. What I was presented with was a highly processed concoction - sweet and tasteless.
Sorry I know you do things differently in America but really the kind of salads I am advocating are standard in the great food counties of the world like France, Spain and Italy.

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed overnight in Austin, Texas so we went to the SOCO area and found Magnolia for dinner. Interior was cute kind of hippieish, and the service was good. I ordered the Lawyer’s lunch which included a 6 oz ribeye. There was peppercorn gravy over the steak. Also their “love spinach” which was laced with garlic. So much garlic it burned my mouth. The steak was filled with fat and gristle. Several nights ago I had a better ribeye at Applebee’s. My partner had a platter of roasted veggies with acorn squash which she enjoyed. Amazingly people were standing in line to get in. Why?

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

We waited approximately 45 minutes for a table. We had heard awesome things about the food and service. Upon being seated, we were greeted by a nice hostess. The waiter, Terry, was very rude. He did not know the menu. I ordered our appetizer three times. DO NOT SIT IN TERRYS SECTION. We were very disappointed!! The Magnolia Cafe can do much better than this!

Reviewed 10 November 2017

The food here is fantastic, and the art on the walls is for sale. The service is great, and the servers are hilarious and attractive. Open 24 hours a day, it can be busy at times, but is always worth it.