“EXTENSIVE GLUTEN-FREE MENU”
Review of Ka-Prow Bistro

Ka-Prow Bistro
Ranked #635 of 4,028 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai
Description: Ka-Prow Thai & Sushi Bistro holds deep roots to Thailand and brings a variety of authentic and health-conscious dishes to Austin like the popular Pad Thai, Spicy Chow Mein and chef specials like Ginger Tilapia and Paradise Duck. Along with stir-fry and curry dishes, we seek to apply the fast-paced nature of preparing Thai food in a range of dynamic, exciting and flavorful ways. Beyond the quick movement of Thai, we also specialize in what we think is the artful and meticulous preparation of sushi by delivering traditional rolls as well as unique ones like Apple Blossom with spicy tuna, apple, and kampyo. We prepare our dishes fresh every day, are considerate of gluten and shellfish allergies and seek organic ingredients. We look forward to sharing our passion with you soon.
Reviewed 8 February 2017

I love this place! My son lives in Austin and every time we visit from Tennessee, I want to come here. I have to eat gluten-free and they have one of the best gluten-free menus of any restaurant I've found anywhere. The servers also ask if there are any other food allergies before they put in the orders. The dishes can be adjusted to make them milder or hotter. My favorites so far are the Pad Woonsen (to which I added chicken and tofu) and the Tom Kha soup which is made with lemongrass and coconut milk. We usually go for dinner, but we went once for lunch and the place was packed. If you eat gluten-free, make sure your food is served on black dishes, otherwise, question to make sure it's gluten-free.

Reviewed 10 January 2017

One of our pseudo-family traditions is to eat out on Friday after work and school, usually at an Asian restaurant. Our kids really like Chinese food, but we've been pushing them to try other things beyond the usual buffet. We happened to be in the area for a separate errand and my husband suggested we try Ka-Prow. Wow, what a find! Our waitress suggested that we go Thai or sushi since that is the chef's expertise. There is great variety on the menu and we didn't go wrong with anything we tried. We even got the kids to try some new dishes as well. Everything tasted so fresh. I had the Ka-Prow Noodles - perfect amount of spice.

1  Thank luv2travelMAP
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

This is my favorite restaurant! As someone with celiac disease, my options for restaurant dining are pretty limited. Even places that allegedly cater to a gluten-free diet can be very haphazard about it, leading to cross-contamination. At Ka-Prow, however, they take dietary issues very seriously. Not only do they have a separate (and extensive!) gluten-free menu, but they have a system in place to make sure things that are meant to be gluten-free stay gluten-free. All meals for those with food allergies and other such restrictions come out on black plates (normal plates are white) so you can see right away that your meal is marked for your dietary restrictions.

One of the most reassuring experiences I had here was an occasion where my husband's meal came out alone, and the chef came out personally to apologize to me and let me know that my meal was going to have to be remade because someone had used the wrong pan for one of the ingredients. I didn't even care that my food was late, I was just really excited and relieved to know that it was being taken that seriously!

As far as the food goes, I have never had a bad meal here (and neither has my gluten-eating husband). For an appetizer, I highly recommend the spring rolls - the peanut sauce they come with is amazing. My favorite entrees are the Pad Kee Mao, the Yellow Curry, and the Spicy Grilled Duck off the dinner menu. Don't be afraid to order tofu as your protein, even if you don't normally like tofu - I have no idea what they do to it, but it's absolutely delicious. Try the sticky rice with egg custard for dessert, rather than defaulting to mango (or get both!).

I've only tried two kinds of sushi here. Both were pretty good, but not exceptional. In general I'd recommend sticking to the Thai dishes. Service can be a little hit-or-miss, but it's never been outright bad.

Overall, it's a great little restaurant, especially if you are gluten-free. Even if you aren't, you won't regret trying it.

1  Thank nrc42
opartudom, Owner at Ka-Prow Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

You just made my day! Thank you so, so much for your support and for taking the time to write up such a wonderful review. I loved reading every word. Food allergies are not something to be taken lightly, so we're always more than happy to accommodate. I hope you'll be back to see us again soon!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 19 May 2016

I really like have a nice Sushi appetizer with before a Thai entrée!

I started with a couple of pieces of tuna nigiri. The fish was super fresh with great texture.

Their green chili chicken had the right amount of heat (it's a bit closer to "hot" than "medium"). The fresh Thai basil is always the right touch for this curry. In addition it had Chinese egg plant which was different than any other curries I have had.

Server was very helpful and attentive.

I highly recommend and will go back the next time I'm in town.

opartudom, Owner at Ka-Prow Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2016

This sounds like such a wonderful dinner, William -- excellent order! I'm happy to hear it was all delicious. Thank you for sharing such a lovely review. I hope you'll be back soon!

Take care,

Reviewed 11 May 2016

This is a gem that most people may have missed. Lunch is outstanding. Service and atmosphere is fast and friendly. The staff know what's in each dish that is unique nowadays. Chef O is always willing to make your dish just like you want it.

opartudom, Owner at Ka-Prow Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2016

Your support means so much to me! Thank you for saying such nice things here about our lunch, service, and atmosphere. I hope we'll be lucky enough to see you again soon.

All the best,