“Bike to Mt. Vernon”

Bike and Roll Alexandria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: From our Alexandria location, we offer two amazing full day adventures to George Washington's Mount Vernon. "Mount Vernon by Bike and Boat" includes: bike rental, helmet, lock, Mount Vernon admission, bike pick-up from Mount Vernon, and Potomac Riverboat Co. ticket back to Old Town Alexandria. "Mount Vernon by Bike" includes full day bike rental, helmet, lock and Mount Vernon admission; bike both ways. 24 hour advance reservation required.
Reviewed 7 July 2015

I was very excited to do this tour, we biked the monuments the last time in DC and had a great time, so I wanted to give this a try. The staff gave us complete instructions on how to get to Mt. Vernon, no problems there. However, I did struggle a bit on this ride, had to walk the bike up a couple of hills. It was very humid, so that probably didn't help. I would say this was a moderate trail. This was a one and done trip for me. Glad I accomplished the ride, but don't need to do it again. I was extremely hot and sweaty at the end, which made me uncomfortable for a good portion of the afternoon. That put a damper on the Mt. Vernon tour itself. I would only recommend this if it was either spring or fall and you were in good shape or if you want a good workout. Otherwise, I would take public transportation or boat ride.

1  Thank 859TK

Reviewed 23 June 2015

The Bike & Roll staff in Alexandria was very helpful and friendly. The bike ride was 9 miles going which took a little over an hour (up hill) and about 50 minutes back. The scenery was beautiful and the trail is easy to follow.

Reviewed 19 June 2015

My family did the Bike and Boat package to Mount Vernon. This package includes bikes, and helmets to ride to Mount Vernon, tickets to tour Mount Vernon and tickets to take the boat back to Alexandria along the Potomac River. My husband and I have two teenage children and the three of them managed the challenge of the hills very well. I am in decent shape, but the final hill to Mount Vernon was too hard so I walked my bike. It was a strenuous 10 miles for me. The bike path is beautiful and much of it is shaded, which was very nice on a 90 degree day. Our complaints included that they did not have water or snacks available for you where you get the bikes in Alexandria, the helmets were kind of gross (we would definitely recommend bringing your own if you can), and my daughter's bike did not change gears well. Overall, however, we had a great time and would recommend the experience!

1  Thank Lhubb123
Reviewed 15 June 2015

For the price of this, why can't they give you a map? Told the operator I get lost easily. He said, all you have to do is make 2 quick lefts, one on Union Street, one onto trail. Didn't explain that the trail is SEVERAL blocks away. So, I made two lefts and found nothing. Came back for better directions and saw three ladies leaving; asked if I could follow them. They couldn't find the trail either! Finally, we flagged down passing cyclist who explained to us. So, after making these two quick lefts, I proceeded down the trail and suddenly found myself on a commercial street with lights and lots of glass in the road. I decided I'd better turn around before getting lost alone in a strange city. Apparently, I didn't understand there were arrows on the ground on the trail. I wasn't looking, because I had made the "two quick lefts." I e-mailed if I could get at least a partial refund, but NO response. So wasted $52 plus metro fares. They did seem very nice when I picked up the bike. I'm sure they quickly rented it to someone else.

Reviewed 4 June 2015

I lovely way to spend a sunny day in Virginia. I did the Bike to Mount Vernon trip, the price of which includes entrance to the Mount Vernon estate --- didn't have to line up to get in. The 9 mile trip from Alexandria to Mount Vernon is a scenic paved trail that follows along the Potomac for a great part of the way. I was told it would take approximately 1 1/2 hours both ways and I was pretty close to that, though there were plenty of speed demons passing me. I spent about 3 hours at Mount Vernon before heading back. The bike was in good shape, the staff at the office were helpful and friendly. Their shop is underneath the Charter House restaurant and I walked by it a couple of times before realizing where it was. A placard sign outside before of the ramp would be helpful, if city by-laws allow it.
Getting out to Alexandria from DC on the Metro is easy and at the Alexandria Station there is a free shuttle bus that takes you along King Street to the riverfront where you will find Bike and Roll DC. This was one of the highlights of my trip to DC

3  Thank David M