“Awesome shrimp and grits!”
Review of Magnolia's On King

Magnolia's On King
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolia's On King is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 832 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Description: Magnolia's On King offers Southern Immersion Cuisine in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. Magnolia's On King is proud to use sustainably raised and grown ingredients from regional farms and purveyors. Our food is cooked fresh, to order. All desserts are house-made. The Palm Lounge, our second floor craft cocktail experience, features comfortable seating to enjoy one of our specialty cocktails including our signature Magnolia's Old Fashioned. Our full dinner menu is also served in the Lounge. Magnolia's can also accommodate groups of up to 60 people for private and semi-private events.
Reviewed 14 September 2016

During a recent visit to DC we stopped for dinner in Alexandria after touring Mount Vernon. Magnolia's is a charming restaurant with a varied menu and helpful staff. The shrimp and grits was "off the charts" delicious and definitely the best that I have ever had. My son enjoyed his fish and grits and my husband liked the pork chop which was huge. We had the spicy crab dip for an appetizer and highly recommend that as a great starter to an excellent meal. The location is good and this place is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We had the most amazing Brunch EVER!! We arrived a little early because we heard this small restaurant fills up quickly on a Sunday. As we were waiting outside, the waitress let us in early, showed us a table, told us to make ourselves at home while she went to put her uniform on. I am terrible with names but she was the sweetest thing ever. (Yeah, you know who I mean) She gave us great recommendations and when I said that I didn't care too much for mimosas cause of the OJ, she fixed me one with crushed berries. Awesome. She also suggested the dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped with bacon. Heaven!! And the Eggs Benedict were absolutely fabulous with the smoky cheese grits. The fruit in the fruit cup was perfectly ripened (My pet peeve is fruit that is crunchy UGH). My only regret was that my stomach wasn't big enough to try the Bananas Foster French Toast!! Okay, my 2nd regret was not getting the Bloody Mary my husband had with the duck infused Vodka. OOOOOOOH it was so good. I am dying to come back for dinner!! Thanks for such a lovely Brunch and the great service.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

The atmosphere is welcoming, the staff helpful and friendly and the food delicious.
We went during Restaurant Week and the selections for that menu were outstanding.
The stuffed dates and the BBQ duck on Grits was delicious. The roasted chicken and pork dish were very good. The selections of sides are also very good and delicious.
The pecan pie was grand. We will be returning!

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Went there with friends as part of "Restaurant Week." We ordered the three types of appetizers offered (crab dip, duck bbq, and stuffed dates. They all were excellent...especially the dates. For dinners, we tried the grilled skirt steak, the fish/grits, and the chicken. Having tried all my friends' dinners, I personally think the skirt steak was the best. The steak was tender and the veggies that came with it were awesome. The fish/grits was a bit spicy for my taste and I didn't expect cheese grits to have such a "kick." We tried three desserts, too...the coconut cake, the bread pudding, and the pecan pie (with the maple bacon ice cream). Of all those, the pecan pie was the best. But, that's just me...I'm not much of a fan of bread pudding or coconut cake. They both were good, though...just not my thing.

We ordered cocktails, too. This was probably the worst part of our experience. While they were good, too, they were quite small and rather expensive (at least for me) with a cocktail being $12 and wine being $11. But, on the other hand, they were jam-packed with liquor!

However, the thing that made Magnolia's on King the best was the greeting we received at the door and the very attentive (not overbearing) waitress we had. I'm sorry I forgot her name, but she was excellent. The setting is great...classy, but not overly fancy or uncomfortable; small but not cramped; and just a very pleasant experience. We all decided that we would come back there, even when Restaurant Week was over!

1  Thank PeggyVA
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

This week is Restaurant Week in Alexandria so we decided to give Magnolia's a spin. All in all, I definitely recommend the spot! The food is solidly good. But there are some hits and misses which explains the rating. First things first: With our reservation, we were seated on the second floor near the bar area. That area maybe okay for brunch or earlier in the day, but definitely stay away from it in the evening on the weekends. In short, it became a nightmare because of the noise(we could barely hear each other speaking). They have an odd configuration outside of the bar area where it's a strange lounge with people sitting and yelling and talking in an open seating area next to the dining area. On top of that, they were moving the dining tables around while you're trying to eat. Odd! The first floor seem to be more ambient and it also had white tablecloths; at the same time, we noticed that the first floor was much warmer when we came in. MUCH warmer! As for the food itself, some of it was absolutely divine and other dishes were misses. The crab dip and the Caesar salad are worth the price of admission alone! They have perfected both of these appetizers. The smoked chicken is nicely seasoned and delicious as well, though it would be great to have better green vegetables on the side. The fish and grits is definitely going to be a surprise for people looking for a certain style of urban, southern comfort food. Spoiler: this ain't it! The grits are a very coarse, chunky hominy that tasted very much like a rich, creamed corn. The cheese flavor was absent all together. While the Rockfish had a nice flavor and seasoning, this dish did not resemble any traditional Southern fish and grits that I've ever seen or tasted. I definitely would not recommend it unless you really want to try a very haute take on the dish. The pecan pie dessert was okay/average. As for service, it started out really amazing but as the evening went on, our waiter kind of disappeared for a while. All of their staff were very nice and accommodating though, so I will definitely return. I will just do so knowing what to order and where to be seated to have a more enjoyable experience.