“Avoid Best Westerns East of the Mississippi”

Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 16 September 2017

If there is one lesson learned from my nationwide travels; Best Westerns East of the Mississippi are never very nice properties, for some unknown reason I can't explain - maybe corporate knows the answer. West of the Mississippi, they are generally always good. This Iwo Jima Best Western is conveniently located near the famous Marine Monument. That is where the benefit of staying here begins and ends. This is probably my 3rd or 4th time staying here. Honestly, if not for the price, I'm not sure why I'd go back. I have no idea why their average user score is 3.something - the reality is more like a 2.something. I guess it might depend on which room you are assigned. On this visit, they gave me room 125 - in the far SW corner of the first floor. Parking is tight, but free. The room was dark and smelled like mold. The mold either is due to the darkness, maybe some water on the carpet from the A/C condensation, maybe something else, I don't know. It was borderline go back to the front desk to ask for a different room bad. While clean, I think, the room had a lot to be desired if BW wants to compete with other mid-level hotels in DC. For example, the bed had a rut in it from all the previous patrons - time to buy a new mattress, Best Western East of the Mississippi. I mean, c'mon man, a rut in the mattress? Is this a Super 8? Other little details - the TV mounted on the wall could not be pivoted - I know, petty. But, the cable channels looked were blurry and practically unwatchable. Really? HD isn't possible here? The door was dated and needed new hardware. The clothes rack was rusty. I don't know, maybe I expect too much. I just wish Best Western had higher quality East of the Mississippi - that's all. The price was right, though, so there's that... One more thing, you can't see the US Capitol from this property. You can't even see Iwo Jima. You can walk about 5-minutes to a view of both, though. So, the location is good.

Room Tip: ask if they have any newer renovated rooms or newer mattress rooms
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Manager104, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Hello

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Rosslyn Iwo Jima and for taking the time to share your feedback with us and the Tripadvisor community.

Have a great week.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,644)

Reviewed 14 September 2017

While our room was fine, the hotel is technically not handicapped accessible.There are stairs to most sections of the hotel without the option of an elevator. To get to the front desk, there are stairs and no ramp. We were told that to get to the front desk and that section of the hotel that we had to go down the parking lot hill to the parking ramp, use that elevator and come up that to get to the front desk. It was ridiculous. There was a fire alarm that went off one night so the elevators were not in use so my husband couldn't go outside. Thank goodness it was a false alarm. The hotel is a decent price for the non-handicapped and is close to the Metro. The restaurant on the premises is absolutely horrible and I wouldn't count on that. Thank goodness after a long day, Papa John's delivers.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 September 2017

It was clean and comfortable, but the rooms are outdated and some of the fixtures in the bathroom was very old and needed repair. But overall it was a decent room for the cost and considering we just needed a place to sleep it was okay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Manager104, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Spent one night traveling for business. The hotel has a Ledo's Pizza restaurant on the premises as well as a covered parking garage. I hate the Washington DC area in general, so the fact that I didn't have to venture out for meals was a BIG plus. Room was large with updated amenities. Walls are a little thin, so neighbor noise was a problem initially trying to fall asleep. If I had to stay in Arlington, VA again, I would choose BW Iwo Jima.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed 8 September 2017

We stayed at the Best Western Iwo Jima on two occasions during our holidays at the end of August 2017. During our first stay of four nights we had a room in the main hotel and found the hotel to be comfortable and convenient to the metro into Washington. The free parking and swimming pool are also great additions.

During our 1 night stay at the end of the holiday we had a room within the motel section. Whilst the room was a little damp and noise from the stairs and adjacent vending machine, the biggest issue was we had a mouse in the room which disturbed our stay. There was mouse droppings on the bed and on our belongings.
On reporting to reception staff at 3am we were offered a new room in the morning. I found the request to remain in a room known to be infested with mice to be unacceptable and asked for alternative accommodation in a nearby hotel, upon which a spare room within the hotel was found

Our concerns were raised with the manager on duty upon checkout, and whilst we have now had a refund for the room we have not had an apology for the disruption experienced either at the hotel nor following the email sent to the hotel management.

The hotel is well placed to visit Washington, however the experience with the mice soured our memories of the hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Manager104, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017