We recently went to Washington DC to attend son graduation from Georgetown University. Because of the limited availability of hotel rooms around this time and the great experience we have had with other Choice Privilege Hotels (namely, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, etc.) we decided to give this Econ Lodge a try.
We booked this way ahead of the graduation date (at least 2 months before) because we knew that availability would be a problem the longer we waited. Both price and amenities were a major factor in our decision. To our surprise, even though the motel was located in a very affluent and uptown neighborhood district, the motel itself is very OUTDATED. There are no elevators as one reviewer has already commented, which could have been a problem for me since I recently had a knee replacement. But fortunately for us we were located on the ground level near the breakfast area.
The positives are:
1) Great Location and just a short walk to the East Falls Church Metro Station
2) Free parking, though we didn't have a rental car
3) Many restaurants in the area, though we didn't use any of them (they all seemed to be very pricey and didn't offer the traditional cuisine we were accustomed to) Typically just ordered delivery from one of the fast food chains or grabbed something while we were out in DC
4) Great Cleaning Staff, we were greeted every morning with a friendly face and they did a great job of preparing our room for the next day
5) The breakfast bar was adequate. The one thing you will always find is pancakes, toast, coffee, cereal and fruits. The eggs & sausage though available did not look all that appealing for digestion.
The negatives are:
1) The desk clerks though extremely efficient were not at all friendly in any way... We were hurriedly checked in, even though there was no line waiting and told militarily how to find our rooms and were then dismissed... We were told that the side entrance would be available to us to bring in our luggage and for entrance and exit from the hotel. Returning from the graduation after a uncommonly hot and blistering day in DC, we buzzed to gain entrance and there was no response so after 10 minutes waiting we trekked up the incline to the front of the lobby to get back to our rooms... We were then greeted at the front desk by the clerk who told us she was helping someone in their room to show them how to turn on and off the TV and had just returned. (Yea, right!!!)
2) Our room on the ground level had a musty odor and the beds were like sleeping on a box spring with a blanket. We complained at the front desk and were told all of the rooms were the same...Very uncomfortable sleeping on the beds and couldn't wait to leave.
3) Fair warning, the breakfast area is very TINY. There are only 8 tables. To give the area a sense of being bigger than it actually was, mirrors was added all over and people were constantly running into the mirrored walls when trying to exit out of the breakfast area.
Final thoughts. Apparently there is a great difference between the level of quality and comfort at an Econo Lodge versus a Comfort Inn or other Choice Privilege hotels that may need to be addressed. Based on this recent experience, I don't think I will be staying at any other Econo Lodge any time soon. This is based on my stay here over the course of 4 nights so I don't think it was a random occurrence... I have been a Choice Rewards member since 2005 and by far this has been my worst experience... I don't give 1 star that often and rate a motel as terrible, but I wish now that I would have paid a little more extra and stayed at another hotel.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Econo Lodge Metro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Econo Lodge Metro Hotel Arlington
- Metro Econo Lodge
- Econo Lodge Arlington
- Arlington Econo Lodge