“Failed Expectations for a Choice Privilege Hotel”
Review of Econo Lodge Metro

Econo Lodge Metro
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 21 May 2017

We recently went to Washington DC to attend son graduation from Georgetown University. Because of the limited availability of hotel rooms around this time and the great experience we have had with other Choice Privilege Hotels (namely, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, etc.) we decided to give this Econ Lodge a try.
We booked this way ahead of the graduation date (at least 2 months before) because we knew that availability would be a problem the longer we waited. Both price and amenities were a major factor in our decision. To our surprise, even though the motel was located in a very affluent and uptown neighborhood district, the motel itself is very OUTDATED. There are no elevators as one reviewer has already commented, which could have been a problem for me since I recently had a knee replacement. But fortunately for us we were located on the ground level near the breakfast area.

The positives are:
1) Great Location and just a short walk to the East Falls Church Metro Station
2) Free parking, though we didn't have a rental car
3) Many restaurants in the area, though we didn't use any of them (they all seemed to be very pricey and didn't offer the traditional cuisine we were accustomed to) Typically just ordered delivery from one of the fast food chains or grabbed something while we were out in DC
4) Great Cleaning Staff, we were greeted every morning with a friendly face and they did a great job of preparing our room for the next day
5) The breakfast bar was adequate. The one thing you will always find is pancakes, toast, coffee, cereal and fruits. The eggs & sausage though available did not look all that appealing for digestion.

The negatives are:
1) The desk clerks though extremely efficient were not at all friendly in any way... We were hurriedly checked in, even though there was no line waiting and told militarily how to find our rooms and were then dismissed... We were told that the side entrance would be available to us to bring in our luggage and for entrance and exit from the hotel. Returning from the graduation after a uncommonly hot and blistering day in DC, we buzzed to gain entrance and there was no response so after 10 minutes waiting we trekked up the incline to the front of the lobby to get back to our rooms... We were then greeted at the front desk by the clerk who told us she was helping someone in their room to show them how to turn on and off the TV and had just returned. (Yea, right!!!)
2) Our room on the ground level had a musty odor and the beds were like sleeping on a box spring with a blanket. We complained at the front desk and were told all of the rooms were the same...Very uncomfortable sleeping on the beds and couldn't wait to leave.
3) Fair warning, the breakfast area is very TINY. There are only 8 tables. To give the area a sense of being bigger than it actually was, mirrors was added all over and people were constantly running into the mirrored walls when trying to exit out of the breakfast area.

Final thoughts. Apparently there is a great difference between the level of quality and comfort at an Econo Lodge versus a Comfort Inn or other Choice Privilege hotels that may need to be addressed. Based on this recent experience, I don't think I will be staying at any other Econo Lodge any time soon. This is based on my stay here over the course of 4 nights so I don't think it was a random occurrence... I have been a Choice Rewards member since 2005 and by far this has been my worst experience... I don't give 1 star that often and rate a motel as terrible, but I wish now that I would have paid a little more extra and stayed at another hotel.

Room Tip: Great location and in a very nice neighborhood with easy access to Metro Station
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willie B
econometro, General Manager at Econo Lodge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

As we pride ourselves being at a great location, excellent hard working cleaning staff and experienced desk staff with an exceeded breakfast during your stay , I am disappointed to learn that we have fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the for the musty smell, small breakfast area and uncomfortable beds .I understand your frustrations about the waiting for desk clerk, while she was helping another guest . You have to understand it`s a small property and we have only one person working specially in the evening times . You mentioned, you were aware of the fact that we do not have luxury of elevator.Yes we are a small forty seven rooms three level hotel, with two of them on ground level, serving our 60% of our rooms . I am sorry about your knee surgery, and do admit you being a tough reviewer. It seems we are not your type of hotel. We certainly do take pride in our services and the other 400 hundred reviewer speak for itself . I commend my staff even earning one star by you after acknowledging their friendly and hard services.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Arlington. Thank you.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Friendly, helpful staff. Decent Breakfast. Clean! safe! Great location in great neighborhood with choices of dining within 2 blocks. If you're visiting DC to see the tourist sites this is a great jumping off point. Paved Walking/biking trail to METRO Station just
5 - 7 minute walk. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
econometro, General Manager at Econo Lodge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Thank you for your review and I am happy that you found our property so inviting and accommodating. Our team makes every effort to provide a memorable experience and it is rewarding to hear that they accomplished this. Thank you again and we look forward to count on your pledge of coming back to see us on your next visit to Arlington.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Very good location (couple of minutes walk to the metro which takes you to the national within roughly 15 minutes), staff is friendly and attentive, especially during breakfast.
speaking of which, breakfast is solid and slightly above average for this kind of motel.
however, not everything is great: although our room was clean, it showed its age: the carpet is shabby, the door knob to the small bathroom was loose and the window was not soundproof (same goes for the motel overall). However, this did not turn out to be a problem, since we had a room on the side of the building that did not face the highway. Overall, quite recommendable if you would like to visit washington d.c. and only need a place to sleep.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 3DeeP
econometro, General Manager at Econo Lodge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Thank you for taking time, writing good things about our property and recommending us to other visitors. We are satisfied, we provided you the real value of money. You are correct, this property is getting to it`s age, Knowing that we recently renovated one of our floor and the rest are in the pipe line .Thank you again, hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this motel for our first time visit to Washington DC area and it was a great place to stay and perfect for our D.C. Tour. It was clean and very reasonably priced compared to the hotels in Washington D.C. The staff was very friendly and accommodating too. The best thing about staying at this motel is the metro train that takes you right into D.C. National Mall area is only a 5 minute walk in a very nice and safe neighborhood from the motel. That made this D.C. sightseeing trip so easy for us.
There is also a free breakfast and coffee bar too. I highly recommend this motel.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gdoty74
econometro, General Manager at Econo Lodge Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Thank you for your recommendations, and pledge to come back. We are certainly looking forward to great guest like you, who kept us going all these years . You are so correct it`s a great and convenient location specially for a educated guest who really knows how to to get the maximum return of their hard earned dollars. I have shared your views with my team and we are all so grateful. Thank you again, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

I have just returned from a week long stay in D.C, and my mother & I stayed at this Econo Lodge. The hotel is dated but clean. They say they serve a "Full Hot Breakfast". While they have the equipment set out for this, they tend to not keep the servers full. The one thing you will always find is pancakes, toast, coffee & cereal. The eggs & sausage may be cold or non- existent. Fair warning, the breakfast area is TINY too. There are only 8 tables & the room is about 15'x20'.

The hotel is 3 floors, you will enter on the 2nd floor. Breakfast is on the 1st floor, rooms on all 3 floors. BUT there is no elevator!! YES, you read that correctly!! NO ELEVATOR!! Unfortunately, I suffer from RA & had to haul our luggage up the stairs to the 3rd floor. My elderly mother had to climb the same stairs everyday in order to eat breakfast, leave the hotel & of course return to the room.

I won't be staying at this location again, for sure!

Room Tip: NO ELEVATOR! Ask for a room at the ends of the hallways, away from the lobby. It is quieter for su...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gillqueen

Thank you for taking time and sharing your views with us . We are glad you liked most of our services, like clean and comfortable rooms etc , and were gracious to award us three stars despite the fact breakfast area was small and non availability of elevator. Please accept my apology for not being up to your mark. For last somewhat, our thirty two years I am struggling to find out a key where I can achieve the 100 % satisfaction of our patrons being in economy segments and exceeding the expectations of my wonderful guests . Certainly, your views guides me that there is still more room for improvements, and I assure I will continue my struggle. Thank you again and we are looking forward to be of service to you.