“Very complete tour of Salvador”
Review of Bahia Metisse

Bahia Metisse
Ranked #5 of 50 Tours in Salvador
More attraction details
Owner description: Private day tours to discover Salvador and its habitants, authentic, and outside of the main tourists tracks... A new way to explore the diversity of the Bahia culture. Responsible Turism. With us, you will get be able to know places where only few tourists will ever go, places essential to understand the place, the people and the culture. Agency operating since 2010.
Reviewed 17 July 2017

This was a very complete tour of Salvador. We had a very knowledgeable guide. We covered a lot in one day, not only the historical side of Salvador, but also the lower city, and the coast, etc. The guide was a wealth of information and provided us with a well-rounded view of the history of Salvador. We visited a few artists' studios and drove all over town. I strongly recommend this agency.

All reviews
"culture"
"afro"
"neighborhood"

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We spent 2 days with our guides from Bahia Metisse, one in the city of Salvador, one on the North coast. We would have missed so much without them! They are knowledgeable, very professional and friendly. It was the best part of our trip to Brazil, highly recommended!

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I contacted Nicholas before arriving in Salvador to arrange a tour - the moqueca cooking class with Fafa, Crispine and their adorable daughter Eliza. We - Joao Luis and I - did a bit of city touring first (it was just me, which I enjoyed a lot, so we took our time and stopped when and where we wanted) then hit the market. Being in the tour business myself and also living in a country with a rich history of colonialism and mistreatment of the indigenous peoples, it was fun to get the scoop on all the details of what happened in Salvador. So much tragedy, so much history - and Joao knows it all.

In the fisherman's community on the waterfront, which is also home to some of the more downtrodden of Salvador's citizens including the drug dealers, I felt completely at home in Fafa and Crispine's house directly overlooking the sea - a million dollar view that the rich and famous would pay dearly for. Fafa is the man, and if he says it's OK to wander around and take photos, it is.

The moqueca lunch with the obligatory caipirinhas prepared by Joao Luis was perfect and delicious.

I would highly recommend this agency as they focus on the social aspect of tourism, not just drive-by photo shooting with no interaction.

Muito obrigado Nicholas and Joao Luis!

Reviewed 5 June 2017

Joan took me to the market to shop for the ingredients. Wonderful at explaining and demonstrating the way to pick the ingredients. Fountain of knowledge on Bahia, Brazil, history, culture et al. The journey to the fishing village is quite an adventure. You literraly walk under a freeway through a neighborhood and find yourself on the fringes of the under city where a whole fishing community lives. There I was introduced to my teacher and her family. And we proceeded to make the Moqueca fish stew. With fish just caught an hour earlier by her husband. Bahia Metisse provides you the recipe via email, and you get to dine on the family's deck overlooking the bay. This is truly the way to immerse yourself in local culture and cuisine. Highly recommended for the adventurous traveler cooks out there.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 January 2017

Our family was looking for a 6-day trip around Salvador. I would like to say that Nicolas da agencia Bahia Matisse clearly understood what we were looking for and built up a program perfect for us : visit of the city of Salvador, explaining about the history of this part of brasil, one day on the beach of Praia do Forte and Imbassai, a trek in the chapada diamantina (wonderful) and to finish up we visited Cachoeira and a manufacture of cigars. All was well organized and full of historic explanations and good restaurants.
It was a success !