“Great European style hotel”
Review of CopperLeaf Hotel

CopperLeaf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This hotel is a gem in downtown Appleton. Rooms are big and well-appointed. Very European small hotel feel. I'd stay here every time I'm in Appleton if they have rooms. Book in advance as they fill up. Wonderful restaurants and entertainment in walking distance. Parking in ramp next to hotel costs $2 -- try that price anywhere else with a great hotel next door.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Carlsonce

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed one Sunday night with wife and kids (ages 10 and 8). I was thoroughly impressed with everything from the professional check-in to the complimentary coffee in the lobby, the complimentary buffet breakfast, the lobby decor, pretty much everything about the hotel. We stayed in one of the suites (Gold?) and it was really well done. Bed was comfortable, tvs were new and nice. Room was modern and clean. Noise from outside was minimal.

Staff was friendly and though the bar was almost empty (Sunday night and all) it seemed like a nice place to have a drink and chat. There is a spa downstairs which offers a large hot tub area for hotel guests (there's no swimming pool). The parking garage next door was very convenient. All in all, though you pay more than some other hotels in the area, the Copperleaf is high quality and would hold its own in a larger city. We did not try the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Extremely disapointed in the Copperleaf Hotel. We had a couples package which was almost $300. The hotel does not tell you that the Spa is for the public and not just hotel guests, nor do they tell you to book your Spa visit the same time as you book your stay. Needless to say, the Spa was fully booked so we had nothing to do all weekend but sit in our rooms (snowstorm, freezing temps prevented us from walking around College Ave). Additionally, the hotel requires you to pay $10.95 a channel to watch anything in HD, so the TV that we did watch was poor quality. There are train tracks directly behind the hotel and the train blew it's horn throughout the night. Very annoying and I was woken up several times from the train, in additional to the drunks partying up and down at the bars on College Ave. I could hear the yelling, and the horns from cars, and the train. Very poor acoustics at this hotel. Every time someone in the room next to or above us would turn on their water, it was SO loud, I had to crank up the volume on the TV just to continue to hear it at all. The restaurant - Belle Vita Ristorante - was extremely overpriced, yes it was nice, yes the staff was great, but the food. Sub par. My $30 steak was so tiny I could hardly see it, it was over cooked, and the "roasted" red potatoes were cold and raw. The Copperleaf has a great concept, but I will never go back, and I was extremely disapointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spotgirl17
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

I regret the disappointments you and your partner endured during your recent visit to the CopperLeaf. Please accept my personal apologies. It would be advantageous for me to know if you spoke with any staff or members of management regarding your concerns while at the hotel. We can best address our guests’ disappointments at the time of the incident(s). Since your post is anonymous, I do not know if you gave our team the opportunity to address your concerns. I tried to contact you via the link at the bottom your Trip Advisor review but, as of the writing of this, I have not received a response from you.

I am sorry you felt mislead in learning the Spa is not exclusive to hotel guests. You are correct in identifying the Spa is open to both the public and hotel guests. However, even if the Spa were exclusive to hotel guests, advance appointments for services would still be highly recommended. If you booked your package online, you would not have spoken to any of our guest service representatives. Yet, our website and the electronic booking source both inform our guests that advance reservations for Spa services are required. If you made the Ultimate Indulgence (couples) package reservation directly with a hotel staff member over the phone, our procedure is to take the hotel guest room reservation and then pass the call to the Spa so that Spa services can be reserved. If you make your Ultimate Indulgence package reservation less than a week prior to your arrival date, we will first connect you to the Spa to be sure they are able to accommodate your appointment for a couples massage.

The hotel does not charge $10.95 to watch HD programming. HD programming is provided free via cable boxes in the Platinum and Silver fireplace/whirlpool suites. HD programming is not available in the Copper King and Copper Double rooms and we do not promote that it is. HD programming in “all” of our guestrooms is an upgrade we are working on and hope to have in place by the start of this summer.

You also mentioned train prevented you from sleeping. In the seven years I have managed the CopperLeaf, I can honestly say this is something that is mentioned, at most, a handful of times a year. It may have been that conditions were just right to make this a noticeable disturbance. The tracks are several blocks from the hotel and trains do not travel these tracks on a continual basis. Regarding noise from outside, like any hotel, we are exposed to the possibility of disruption from guests who simply may be disrespectful and become unreasonably loud especially if drinking is involved. If a situation like that develops at our hotel, or any hotel, please inform the front desk so that we can take the effort to get the situation under control.

I hope you were able to have your dining concerns addressed while dining in Bella Vita. If something does not meet a guest’s expectation, this is our most convenient opportunity to make it right. Regarding pricing, I encourage anyone reading this review to view the menu selection and pricing at our Bella Vita Ristorante website. The pasta dishes start at $12 with the majority of other dishes in the $16 - $18 range. There are a handful of more expensive specialty entrees but diners can surely dine on a budget in Bella Vita, if that is the desire.

Thank you for your comments. If you care to contact me directly, I would value more in depth information about your stay. I would also appreciate knowing whether we were given the opportunity to address your concerns.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is the best quality property in the Fox Valley area. The services are not 4 diamond (i.e. no door, parking, luggage attendant, turndown) but it is pleasant and quiet. Suites have nice layout and quality furnishings. Electric fireplace a bit tacky but not out of character.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Thank you for your endorsement. My team and I are pleased to learn you enjoy staying at the CopperLeaf. I respect your comment regarding the electric fireplaces in the suites. This really is the most economical option for a downtown, multi-story building. However, I hope you can agree they add to the ambiance and warmth of the rooms. I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel is very nice. Our room was exceptionally clean, and the staff was quite friendly. My only concern was the location of the first floor rooms being directly across from the meeting/banquet facilities. We turned in early one night for a 6 am commitment the next day, but the banquet rooms are actually about 5 feet from the doors of the first floor rooms (directly across the hall). The banquet room doors were left open, and the very loud people at some type of cocktail party did not seem to realize that there were other guests in the hotel. The party broke up by 10 pm, so for guests not concerned about evening noise this would not have been a problem. The set up is just odd, and I would be concerned about late night events if I were placed in a first floor room and needed to be asleep by 10 pm (or if traveling with young children). These rooms are very convenient to the breakfast area though. When we asked to change rooms, there were none with our bed type available. In addition, the sidewalk is only a few feet from the first floor bedroom windows. The windows appear to be darkened so no one can see in, but there were very loud people enjoying their weekend evening right outside of our window for a good number of hours during our stay. The parking garage is not "manned" and was a bit dark but still safe. Park as close as possible to the entrance, as you need to walk through the parking garage and down the street in order to get from parking to the hotel. There is no walkway or skywalk, but there is short term street parking available across from the hotel's entrance for those who would like to drop off luggage and/or traveling companions. The breakfast food was hot and plentiful. Check in and out was easy. Beds were comfortable. Counter space was good. Aveda products were a nice touch. Heat was quiet, unlike some other hotels. Location is good.

Room Tip: Request a room on floor 2 or higher
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luve2Travel35
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your feedback and recognition of the hotel being clean and the staff being friendly.

You are correct in identifying the fact of a small meeting /banquet room being located directly across from the guest room you stayed in. The CopperLeaf has only five two-bedded rooms on the first floor located directly across from this meeting room. The balance of the guest rooms are on the upper floors of the hotel. I am cognizant to the fact that events in these rooms have the potential of bringing some negligible noise. For this reason, events booked in this room are not allowed to go past 10 p.m. In addition, events in this room are not allowed to have live music or DJ service, only music from our in-house system. I regret that someone did not have the foresight to close the doors to the meeting room as this surely would have helped to dampen any extraneous noise. I am pleased to learn that the event ended by 10 p.m., as we expected.

With regard to people outside you hotel room on the sidewalk, I would simply ask that you or any guest simply inform the guest service representative at the front desk. We will take it upon ourselves to kindly have the guests move on to a different area that will not be disruptive to our guests.

Thank you again for your comments.