“LOCAL, FRIENDLY FAMILY RESTAURANT”

Mohnen's Darboy Family
Ranked #43 of 385 Restaurants in Appleton
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Mohnen’s is our favorite breakfast restaurant. We have enjoyed their home-cooked comfort breakfasts for 21 years! We appreciate seeing the long-time staff who greet us – and all customers – with a friendly smile and conversation. We like seeing their familiar faces! Because this is a highly popular restaurant, we have had to wait at times; however, since we know this, the usually short wait doesn’t bother us. Even when busy, our food gets to us in a timely manner. I love their made-from-scratch light, fluffy pancakes that come to me piping hot; they also poach my eggs, and I’ve found many cafes don’t offer that choice. My husband will eat their chicken salad sandwich when in season, and he always has their German potato salad which he says is much better than other cafes. Too often at other places the food comes out lukewarm or cold; that one gets marked off our list. We also welcome their reasonable prices.

We have gotten their take-out lasagna and chicken-dumpling soup for suppers, and both were tasty. They have bakery items for take-out, too. I have to mention that they have ice cream: I have stopped several times just for a chocolate shake – thick and yummy!

Mohnen’s is a down-to-earth, friendly family-owned restaurant that I do not hesitate to recommend.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Read the reviews for this place and expected a great meal. Sorely disappointed. Coffee was not very good and weak. Food was average, at best. Had the chicken fried steak. It was out of a box. The gravy that went on top of it was okay, if a little bland. The potato pancakes were alright, but, again, nothing to write home about. Service was not very good. Server never came to see how our food was until we were done. We had to ask for silverware. In the interest of fairness, my roommate said the bread pudding was very good. I don't like raisins so I didn't try it. Overall, dissatisfied. We will not be going back.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I recently had the occasion to have lunch at Mohnen's in Appleton. We had potato pancakes and outside of my mother's and some I've had in Germany, they are the best I've tasted. I got three "to go" back to Milwaukee with me. The fish sandwich was delicious too. The restaurant was clean and our waitress was so friendly. I only wish I could remember her name to give her credit.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Great homemade food!!!
Nice staff. You may have to wait but it always consistent.
To go food and bakery available.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

A friend has been a long time customer, and raved about Mohnen's potato pancakes, so of course I had to try them out. I'm glad I did. I'll be returning to try the rest of their menu.

The potato pancakes are huge. My order of two large potato pancakes came with two strips of crispy bacon and a side of apple sauce. The pancakes were absolutely delicious - light, fluffy, and tasty, with a nice crisp outside - and not greasy. I could see flecks of chives. This was a very filling order for a light lunch.

I took home a slice of their chocolate cake, and carrot cake (with cream cheese frosting) - both were scrumptious.

The place was very clean, light and airy. The staff were very friendly, and the customers all looked very happy and comfortable. This is a wonderful, local diner in a great community.

If you know what good food tastes like, you will like Mohnen's. I will return again to try other items on their menu.