Hotel Pousada do Arcanjo(Ouro Preto)
US$81
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$103/night.

Rock in Hostel(Ouro Preto)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
  • Free Internet
Trilhas De Minas Hostel(Ouro Preto)(Great Value!)
Pousada Villa Verde(Lavras Novas)
TripAdvisor
Pousada Chao de Minas(Cachoeira do Campo)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsspiral staircasebeautiful architecturebucket listniemeyerduplexcarpetbalconybedroommaintenancecarnivaltownstreetbrazil
Reviewed 27 September 2017

The only thing going for this hotel is the position in the town. The common area has a lovely view out and lunch on the deck is very enjoyable.
However, you can not see the view if sitting on your deck as there is a lattice fence in the way.
Sounds from the surrounding area affect your sleep.
It was great to open the windows and avoid the airconditioning.
The rooms are basic - the towels and linen thin though clean.The bathroom is small and the shower just OK.
The feeling in the rooms is of the 1950's and not in a good way.Very brown and dull. I think that the rooms should be given a freshen up. The carpet in the common area needs replacing.The notices in the rooms need replacing and the light fittings need to go.
Its handy to the local reataurants and it is a short walk up the hill to the square.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2017

The hotel has perfect architecture: soundproofing, large rooms (two rooms connected by a spiral staircase) and a beautiful view of the city. But it needs urgent maintenance. The beds are tiny, the mattress is lousy, the living room and the balcony does not have enough furniture. The breakfast is bad, with poor quality products - the cheese bread (a type of bread typical of Minas Gerias) tasted horrible! For the price it charges, there are better options in the city.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dgmelo
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

It was on my bucket list for years as my grandma used to stay there in the 70's. I was expecting a good hotel but what I found make me feel beside myself! The hotel is AMAZING, bedroom clean, very spacious, it has such a special layout . Staff was beyond helpful, food and breakfast perfectly done, everyone did as much they could to make my experience great. I cannot wait to go back to grande Hôtel Ouro Preto to jump in the beautiful pool again and enjoy a delightful glass of wine with the best view ever ! You are crazy if you do not stay there .

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2016

This landmark hotel designed by Oscar Niemeyer, the famous Brazilian architect, had been on my bucket list for more than half a century. On learning that I would be staying there for a special event, I was more than excited.
Our arrival was dampened by the news that the building has no elevator. Nor was there anyone to help us with our luggage. We had to schlep our bags up two long flights of stairs. I’m a senior with mobility problems and there were no handicap provisions whatsoever.
We were in a suite ("apartment") with an all-glass two-story view of the colonial city. Each suite has two levels, the beds being reached via a perilous wooden spiral staircase with steep steps--beautiful, but very impractical. One has the choice of lugging bags up the staircase or leaving them down below. I wasn't surprised to learn that a cousin of one of my companions had once fallen on the steps and hurt her head.
I think the architect's idea in designing the suite on two levels was for guests to be able to pull the tall curtains and see an expansive view of the city. Since we didn't spend much time in our rooms, we were never able to appreciate the effect.
Amenities like the TV sets and refrigerators were out of date and some of the new replacements, like the bathroom light fixtures, were garish and cheapened the overall effect.
The best feature was the open first floor, divided between the restaurant and the spacious lobby, furnished in luxurious Midcentury Modern leather sofas and armchairs.
The food in the restaurant was very good.
However, given the chance to return to this colonial city, I would definitely not stay at the Grande Hotel Ouro Preto again.

Room Tip: If you don't want to fuss with the spiral staircase, ask for a room facing the back.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peripatetic33
Reviewed 15 October 2015

I stayed first in a room on the back side of this hotel and the second time I stayed in a very nicer room facing the city of Ouro Preto, having a wonderful view from the balcony , I would recommend to choose this apartment, it is a duplex one . Breakfast was great and the staff was very friendly and helpfull too.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends