See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The setting and location are absolutely perfect for a Buziios visit. The views from the pool area, the lounge, and the sea view bedrooms could not be better, and it is a short walk from Rua das Pedras and from several of the best beaches.

The hotel is unusual, full of antique furniture and oddities that have seen better days. There are funny things like loose taps and creaky doors, so if those sort of faults irritate you, give it a miss. It is well cleaned though, and we were quite content.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

It is not cheap, but we found it worth it for the advantages above.

Room Tip: Not sure how many rooms have a sea view. We went for a Junior Suite so we had a balcony with sea view which was fantastic.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rimlog
Reviewed 30 January 2012

View of the sea that you have from pool is breath taking, interior design which have used very old naval stuf is great, breakfast is very good and if you like tranquil atmospheres, definitely you'll love it.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Aidin489
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights and paid R$3900 (£1432) for a junior suite with a sea view - an expensive price, but we booked late and hadn't been away for a while so thought we deserved a treat. The sea view was beautiful, but that's where the good bits about this hotel end.
There is no information on anything anywhere in the hotel - menu's, laundry prices, mini bar prices - everything is hidden. We'd been travelling for a week or so and so desperately needed some laundry done. We asked 2 separate people at reception for a price list and were told none existed. We couldn't find a laundry in Buzios, so eventually had 8 items washed using the hotel laundry service. The cost R$ 93.60 (£34). There were no suits or posh frocks involved - just a t-shirts and shorts. We never saw anyone eat an evening meal here, not surprising as there is no menu as to what is on offer. The owner, who is 1 of only 2 people who can speak English, floats about the place and plays cards with his friends, but doesn't seem to do much else. Another girl at reception seems to know only the words 'No' and 'Not working'. The night before we checked out, I asked the other person who could speak English if we should do it now as we had an early bus back to Rio in the morning. She said we would be better to check out in the morning and that someone who spoke English would be there. She also offered to arrange breakfast in a box for our journey. At check-out, the only people around at 8am spoke no English. We had a small bill to settle (the above mentionned laundry plus a couple of drinks from the bar and pool area), but the total was another R$576.56 (£211.66) when our bar and laundry bill was only R$169.60 (£62). It was then that I noticed that they'd charged 10% service tax on the bar bill AND the room rate! Try arguing that at 8am in the morning when you have a bus to catch and someone is just hissing 'Tax' at you! To add insult to injury, no breakfast had been arranged as promised. I paid up, confident that I could sort this out through booking.com. I have since contacted them and they have contacted the hotel. The response is that the exclusion of the 10% service charge is mentionned on the confirmation email - the same confirmation email that states the full charge will be applied in case of a cancellation. On investigating further, I notice that Expedia, Venere and hotels.com do not exclude the service charge on the room rate from their headline price.
We also asked the hotel about booking a buggy to see the island - we didn't book one through them, they had a 13% mark-up. This is a beautiful hotel with a fantastic view in a great location, but beware - it is a total rip-off, and actually not that great.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MCPNottingham
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed at El Cazar in December, and was very disappointed with my experience. The most succinct way to describe the hotel is as follows: out-dated and overpriced. I paid $600 USD for 3 nights, so I was expecting to find a nice hotel with good service. Unfortunately, the Cazar is not worth even half of that amount and was a complete let-down.

The facilities are simply nowhere near where they should be. The pool is unattractive and ugly, the food is not worth ordering, the rooms are in poor condition (shower heads falling off, rusty sinks, etc...). In addition, a strong scent permeates every room in the building... I can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but as someone who is not a fan of flowery air-freshener scents, it really bothered me and there was no escaping it. I was also charged about $60 for maid service (even though I left a day early), which is astonishing considering the outrageous rip-off that this place was.

Another word of warning: the day I left, I approached the lady at the front desk about arranging transportation to the Rio airport. She informed me that there were no more buses leaving from the terminal, and that the only way for me to get there was to take a private taxi, which would cost over $200USD. I told her that I was under the impression that there was a bus leaving that afternoon, and she insisted that there was not. At this point I realized that I was better off simply not dealing with this hotel staff any more, so I hustled over to a tourist office near Rua das Pedras, where I was able to buy a regular bus ticket for around $40USD. I still believe that the hotel staff misled me about this.

The only positive thing about this place is the location and the beautiful view... it'd be a real gem if it were properly managed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank msf83
Reviewed 12 August 2011

El Cazar is a nice hotel, very friendly staff and the view is awesome. Make sure that you book a room with seaview. Rooms are okay, kingsize beds are available.
the bathroom dates probably from the late seventies and it shows. The red paint on the faucets has aged considerably, there is a bit of mould in the shower and sometimes you have to phone the desk because there is no hot water. But the staff solves that problem rather fast.
The lounge is very special too, nice antiques, beautiful statues and good paintings. Definitely not the average kitch.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple