“Nice Hotel”

Mirasol Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #96 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 6 December 2014

When it is warm outside the rooms can get uncomfortably warm especially if sunlight is coming in the window. The A/C will only activate by putting your "room key" card into a receptacle right by the door. So when you leave and take your room key all the electrical shuts off including your A/C. l would suggest that if there are two of you and you plan to come back to the room at the same time you leave one room key in the receptacle. That way the room will be cool when you get back. (I know, that is not "green"). My roommate and I had comfortable beds. Room size was OK. Not cramped but neither was it spacious. Oh yes, for the ladies: no hair dryers in the rooms. There is a pool, sauna and a small fitness center on the roof top. You must walk up one final stairwell after getting off of the elevator to get there. Nice view. At night you can see the illuminated Corcovado from there. I thought the breakfast buffet was great. Lots of choices. Fruits, choice of egg preparations, breads, cheeses, yogurt, meats, juices and, of course, coffee.
Walk out of the hotel entrance to the left and two blocks away you arrive at the Copacabana beach. Or go to the right and there are plenty of little markets a short distance away if you want a snack. Also lots of little shops. In addition, the Subway (6 blocks away) is in that direction. Take it to get to Ipanema beach. Prices on things get a lot cheaper as you go to the right, away from the beach. Get current exchange rate at the front desk for US $ without a fee.

Room Tip: If you like having a bathtub in your room you might have to ask for it as not all rooms have a tub.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TomZee

Reviewed 7 November 2014

We are three adults who spent a total of one week at the Mirasol (once at the beginning of our trip and again at the end). The Copacabana area is a wonderful place to stay in Rio. This hotel is literally a 5 minute walk from the beach. And Ipanema is close by - we rented bikes and explored the whole area. We felt safe the entire time we were in the area, but we also didn't stray too far off the busy streets. Most of the tourists are Brazilian, so we did stand out as Canadians. The hotel room was tight even with only carry-on suitcases. But it was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was an amazing buffet included in the price. We had a late flight and the hotel held our bags while we went sightseeing and allowed us to use the pool shower and gave us towels so that we could freshen up before going to the airport. The staff was helpful and pleasant. From the airport we took a premium bus which was cheap and fast - it took us right to the beach. Check out the tourist information booth when you arrive at the airport. They were very helpful. The public buses are excellent and can take you anywhere you want to go. We were extremely pleased with the amenities of the hotel (a very small but functional gym, nice pool, free wifi in the room) and felt at home and very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2014

Surly manager made visit unpleasant coupled with extremely slow elevators, really noisy air conditioning and bed linen that didn't fit meaning rough nights sleep. The location is great though and the breakfasts tolerable.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 707gregr
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Unfortunately my Brazilian tourist visa was not available in time for my trip. I had to cancel my trip about 10 days before visiting this hotel. Although I had a non-refundable reservation and gave them a ten day cancellation notice with explanation of the situation, the hotel's management would not even give me a credit for a future stay. They kept my $2000 plus pre-payment and didn't even try to work with me. I'm sure they, most likely, resold my room as it was the week of Carnival. Another Brazilian hotel which I pre-paid and had a no cancellation policy, happily refunded my money when they learned what happened to my tourist visa. Learn from my experience and do not pre-pay for this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nucleoplasty
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Even after a two-call confirmation, the manager decided unilaterally not to maintain the price that we had agreed upon. Talk about consumer's rights.

Not being enough, the extra bed we had to use was broken.

One last comment: if you are going with kids one of them is going to sleep in the same bed that you and your wife are going to use.

The only thing that is nice about this hotel is its proximity to a metro station.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family