“Good enough. EXCELLENT LOCATION”

Hotel San Marco Ipanema
Ranked #194 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I just wend to Rio alone for the 1st week of april and reserved a Standard queen bedroom.
First: The room was basic, clean, comftortable bathroom, had a safe and a small refrigerator.
The AC is noisy but I was barely in the room and slept well considering how tired I was after spendign the day exploring the city.
Wifi is in lobby, Breakfast is basic but good enough.
The Location however is excellent!!!! it is the best area in ipanema, close to the beach, bars, and best shopping, there is a super market right next door so could buy a few necessities. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a 7th floor to avoid noise from street. Also the Standar room has a better bathroom than the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Well, this is a divided review. Forst of all, I've lived at San Marco several times during the last 10 years with great memories and although the prices have risen drastically - like with anything else in Rio - the standard of the rooms have not.
There's always a friendly staff and the location is wonderful, but that's it. My last stay during last years megaevent Rio+20 was a great disappointment. First of all the price was - due to greed and hotel politics - 4 times the normal (no I did not pay myself - but I care) - second the standard of the hotel is now outright bad. In need of thorough renovation. And with those prices I don't see why they don't just do it.
Unfortunately Rio has suffered from few available rooms for so many years that the hotel owners have grown too comfortable and just cashes in. it is a shame.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank RioUrbanExploration
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Wow, this area of Ipanema certainly is expensive.
I could complain about paying more than €100 for a room that was not perfectly clean.
But in fairness i chose the cheapest hotel in the area and they could probably still fill the hotel with those rates and even worse services.
All in all not a bad option, of the limited options!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rudy c
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I have never felt I paid so much for so little ! I paid almost US $130 for a "cell" in which the toilet is inside the shower ! Yes, THE TOILET IS INSIDE THE SHOWER ! I could never imagine that I would find such thing in Rio. This hotel classifies itself as "two stars" but I truly believe the Rio's tourism authority should not allow any star to this hotel. The room is ridiculously small and there is no closet ! I could barely open my luggage. Positive things are the password-coded safe and the location. In summary, this hotel is the result of the poor touristic infrastructure of Rio: no competition, high prices ! The other hotel right on the front, the Ipanema Mar Hotel, is way better but costs 3 times more. I am trying to imagine the DISASTROUS that will be lodging during the world cup and the Olympics.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank F_C_BR_IT
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This hotel is my Rio base, and I've been staying there for the past 4 years. Alway welcomed at the reception desk with polite smiles and prompt service. I stay in room 801, which is accessible by the stairs after taking the elevator to the 7th floor... Which could be an inconvenience if you have lots of luggage, but the staff are on hand to help out. When pn holidays, i want my hotel room to provide me with what I need: an excellent bed, a perfect shower and A/C. There's also a tv and fridge, but whose going to watch tv when Ipanema and Leblon beaches are only a stone's throw away? The morning breakfast bar is perfect to start the day with a coffee, fresh juice and a variety of rolls, buns, cakes, breads as well as eggs and meats... The hotel is near everything - and it always gives me great pleasure to go to H. Stern, the bespoke jeweller just down the road, and buy a new trinket, knowing I'm staying in a value rate hotel! this place isn't a 5 star property, but it's in a 5 star neighbourhood and you get excellent service and lodgings for a great price. I'm already planning my next trip back...

Room Tip: Always ask for a superior room, and if on the street side, ask for a higher level room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family