“obrigado pelo carinho.”

and 1 more site!
Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House)
Ranked #25 of 346 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Marta house is worderful ,Marta is very nice person,true brasilian guest!decent rooms ,we'll be back soon,I was my son 10 moths and my husband,beautiful view,Copacabana is nice place,I feel very safety in there.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 February 2009

Based on the reviews at this site, I spent 6 nights at Marta's Guest House in January. My stay was wonderful, and the B&B lived up to its excellent reviews. The duplex apartment is lovely, its location can't be beat, and Marta and John are friendly and helpful hosts. My room was quiet, had a modern, en suite bath and air conditioning which I didn't use as the ceiling fan kept me cool enough. Other reviews have commented on the fantastic terrace, and I can confirm that the view is absolutely spectacular. Breakfast was available every morning and consisted of various fresh fruits and fruit juices, breads, coffee, cheeses & meats, and always a different cake freshly baked by Maria, an employee. This was always an enjoyable start to the day for me, as I got to meet the other guests and talk with Marta and John, who also could recommend places to go and things to see when asked. The building is art deco in style and has 24-hour doorman service, so there were no worries about coming back too late (or early) and not being able to get inside. As one reviewer mentioned, the rooms don't have a TV (although there's a huge one in the upstairs room off the terrace). I didn't watch TV the entire time I was there, and I didn't miss it. I thought the price was quite reasonable, and I'll definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MizMamie
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We stayed four nights at Marta´s Guest House and it was a wonderful experience!
The setting of this B&B next to Copacabana is just amazing as are the views from the terrace on top of the 10 storey buidling (the terrace can be used by all guests).
Rooms were impeccable and breakfast on the terrace overlooking the beach was wonderful!
Marta was extremely helpful and welcoming!! She arranged guided tours for us and helped other guests to organize the next hotels to stay at their next travel destination (and even took one couple to Buzios in her own own car as she was picking up her grandchild on the way). The accomodation is not for travelers on a tight budget. However, if you do come you will be rewarded with a very warm Brazilean welcome and priceless views of Copacabana and the sugar loaf.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Mannheim09
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I planned a holiday in Brazil for my mum's 60th bday and saw all the great reviews on Marta's guesthouse so i booked 2 rooms at BR400 a night each for 4 nights. The ambience of the place is great as is the much raved about view of Copacabana, and Marta is a friendly host, but to be honest after our 1st night we realised that the price we were paying was way too high in relation to the standard of the rooms and the cost the 3* hotel next door - no hairdryer, no TV, no fridge, 'adjoining' bathroom is actually across the hall not next to the room and there was a constant smell of leaking gas in one of the rooms. So we tried to check out but Marta made things v difficult for us, insisting we forfeit our deposit and pay 50% of the remaining nights and for the airport transfer that was initially complementary. Anyway, this made things v uncomfortable and we really felt that making money was the top priority as oppose to customer satisfaction. I would not recommend this guest house to anyone, there are great views of Copacabana from all over Rio and this one is definitely not worth the price!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TravellerTanya
Reviewed 13 January 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed with Marta for a total of 5 days in August 2008.

When booking our trip, it came down to the Sofitel and Rio Guest House. I am more of a hotel guy and my girlfriend is more of a B&B gal. But both properties are roughly in the same ballpark in price (well - Marta is actually 50-100 cheaper).

I am really glad we went with Marta.

First of all - the apartment is fantastic. It is the top two floors of a building that literally has a front row view to copacabana beach. The apartment faces the beach. The first level has a stunning view through windows - while upstairs there is a massive patio overlooking the entire strip. You can literally see the beach from end to end without obstruction.

While there were a few other guests, we really only saw them in the morning. But not even that often. We woke up a bit later than most but Marta just made sure breakfast was available when we woke up. No deadline or anything. Not Marta's style.

My girlfriend loved the breakfast. I loved the coffee.

Marta also knows a lot about Brazil. Her husband is from Australia and he can also chip in with tips for americans and canadians aka gringos.

Marta provided us with information that we really used in Rio and during our trip. Her husband is also very well read and is always down for a conversation if you are.

We also stayed with them on the tail end of our trip. When John heard we were heading to the airport at the same time - he invited us along and took care of the entire fare. IHe totally didn't have to do that - but he and Marta are just good, hospitable people.

The room wasn't massive - but the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning strong. Each room had a private bathroom and the water was always hot thanks to some instant heat creating machine on the wall.

My only suggestion is that Raphael the tour guide is a very eccentric guy and you either LOVE him (check out his tripadvisor page) or find him odd in a semi hilarious way. His airport pickups are also a bit pricey (though his far e was competitive for the going rate for that kind of serive - but we felt it was just as easy to take a cab). That said - he is a great guy and knows his stuff.

Stay with Marta. She rocks!! And her apartment is amazing!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank aksunder