WEStay @ Bagan Lotus Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$121
US$19
  • Breakfast included
US$57
US$30
All reviewsmountain viewrose petalsnice place to relaxswimming poolexcellent amenitiesfree shuttle bus servicee bikecar rentalsunset cruisethe hotel managernice terraceday tourlocal disheshotel is greatthe breakfast areafried riceearly in the morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Sometimes even a very frequent visitor can have an unexpected moment of awe.
Let's call this moment "The Tuyin Taung Pagoda. Ask a just departing visitor to Bagan, waiting in the departure hall of Nyaung U Airport if they had visited the above-mentioned pagoda. Ninety nine percent sure the answer will be negative.It's the expected answer because most foreigners spend maximum four nights in Bagan, visiting the most famous temples/pagodas located in the Archeological Area of Old Bagan. You will forgive me to make a small detour from the Tuyin Taung Mountain Top Pagoda.
Basically when you locate Bagan on a map, in fact it's at least three places: Old Bagan, Nyaung U to the North, and New Bagan to the South, all along the east bank of the majestic Ayerwaddy River. Bagan Airport is in fact in the Nyaung U part of greater Bagan. When the guests are taken by car to their hotels, they are going in a southerly direction, away from the airport, and away from the first mountains that extend toward Mt.Popa with its famous monkeys.
Naturally, as the plane comes in for a landing all passengers's eyes are glued to the windows to catch a glimpse of the thousands of pagodas/temples for which Bagan is so famous..
My u-turn ends here.I am back at Lotus Hotel, my residence when in Bagan. From the window of my room I don't know what to admire: the hotel grounds, the huge swimming pool, the three giant mango trees, and the jungle covered mountains on the other side of a highway. You settle in tired, and the only climbing you have to do is to go upstairs to the terrace restaurant for breakfast or dinner and then you see a snow white pagoda on top of a peak, blinking in the night or shining in the tropical sun, joined by two other temples a little to the left.
This is what happened to me. I just couldn't take my eyes off of that mountain top. From my vantage point the white pagoda seemed close enough for an exciting walk: cross the road, jump a property fence, and slowly walk toward the white pagoda, ignoring the fact that my walk would pass through rather dense jungle vegetation.And the mountains looked more like hills to me.
Listening to smart advice I hired the hotel car to take me up there. A very winding, and steep road, and a good driver, places you in the small parking lot of Tuyin Taung Pagoda. Several gift shops later, shoes off, of course,a long and steep flight of stairs later, you exit onto a plaza, a prayer hall to your right, and the big white pagoda-shrine towering above you. I still said: Is that all? But...then the terrace behind the prayer hall opened up an incredible panorama extending along the majestic river, from way up north to the southern horizon to finally pour its Himalayan waters into the Bay of Bengal. For locals TuyinTaung is a shrine. They come with gifts, offerings, bringing their families and friends to pray. Expect crowds most of the time.Going up or carefully coming down... And make sure you carry lots of AA batteries for you camera or...charge your mobile phone to last two to three hours. You will be grateful to have an extra Micro SD card in your pocket.
Now , you might ask me: why has TuyinTaung become famous?
Vantage Points are few on a very flat Bagan Plains.
Before the recent violent earthquake the only high point from where you could admire an unforgettable sunset was from the top platform of Shwesandaw Pagoda. But the earthquake damaged over 650 pagodas, temples, stupas. For some time access to the top of Shwesandaw was forbidden. Another high point for photographers was the Viewing Tower next to the famous Aureum Hotel. The tower built during the former regime did not attract too many people. But after the earthquake it became the only high point for photographers. Now Bagan has three: the repaired Shwesandaw, The Aureum Viewing Tower, and lately the more and more famous mountain top Tuyin Taung mountain top pagoda.
Which one to choose when you spend only three or four nights in Bagan? ALL THREE !

Enjoy all three of them

Koko D.

Room Tip: Rooms about same size, but not all have windows facing the pool
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

This place was a find. In all my years of travel, I have never once encountered a hotel staffed by such dedicated, considerate, and kind people. And I’ve been very lucky with a lot of hotels, so I’m not just tossing this out there.

The rooms were very affordable for what we got ($34 for a duplex villa room with plenty of space and a bathtub, with complimentary breakfast, gym, and pool; this place could have charged twice as much for what they offer).

The location, which is often sited reluctantly as a low point, was actually ideal. Just south of Nuang Oo by a few km, with regular (free) daily shuttles it is no inconvenience. Once there, the hotel has an agreement with an be-bike shop which offers reasonably priced rentals for exploring the temples. Furthermore, this location is quiet and peaceful, surrounded by fields and hills. And there’s stuff to see here as well—we biked to a temple stop a hill overlooking the restaurant on our first evening.

The staff, however, are where this place stands out. In the course of discussing our upcoming itinerary, I mentioned it being our honeymoon, which someone at the front desk must have heard, because that evening when we returned to the room someone had taken the time to write out a happy honeymoon message on the floor in rose petals, accented by towel-folded hearts and elephants. As we were finishing dinner that evening, getting ready to head down and thank them for their thoughtfulness, the front desk staff appeared at our table with a happy honeymoon cake!! All of this was done without my having requested a thing, only having mentioned it in passing as we made plans for the next few days.

We spent a night near Mount Popa, and returned here to catch our balloon ride, only to find that they’d prepared our original room for us, with a welcome back message and more decorations.

I could easily stuff a few more paragraphs with numerous other instances of the staff going out of their way to accommodate us, help me with a couple travel blunders, and make our stay special. But I’ll show mercy on anyone who’s read this far.

I booked this place in a hurry, basing my decision on the uniformly positive and praising reviews I saw in Agoda. And I am now quite happy to add to these.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2018

I really enjoyed my stay at WEStay @ Bagan Lotus Hotel, the hotel and it's grounds are lovely, the rooms very good and the staff were outstanding.

It is a bit further out from other hotels in the area but it is nice after a long day of looking round temples to have somewhere quiet and relaxed to head back to and the hotel provides a free shuttle service to and from the airport.

I would also like to commend the staff at the hotel, everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. My trip had started off not so well as my luggage didn't make it to Yangon and then I was leaving to go to Bagan the next morning so it had to be sent there afterwards. The staff were very helpful in letting me call the airport the evening I arrived and letting me know when they were informed what time it would be arriving, they also took me to the airport to pick it up with no charge. It helped massively and I can't thank them enough.

If I come to Bagan again I will most definitely be coming back here to stay and will recommend to anyone I know coming there.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We loved staying there! The rooms were great- very spacious, clean, comfortable and beautifully designed. We enjoyed the hotel rides to and from downtown Bagan. The staff was extremely helpful and kind. We enjoyed the pool a lot.
The food was very good and we enjoyed eating on the roof balcony.
We highly recommend this place!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2018

We stayed 2 separate nights here. The staff were very helpful and pleasant and wonderful to our grandchildren. Rooms were clean, breakfast was plentiful and delicious, pool area beautiful. The only issue we had was when we were at the pool they did come by to say they were going to spray pesticides, which I thought it was a strange time (5 p.m.) to spray while it was in the middle of happy hour at the pool and there were several people there while we were there also. When they sprayed it fogged up the whole outside of the hotel and pool area that you were forced inside. I would suggest they have someone do this at a more remote time.

Room Tip: We were close to the main street which was a bit loud, I would ask for a room in one of the outer buildings
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family