Royal Hotel(Battambang)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
US$75
US$70
Agoda.com
All reviewssister hotelair conclean roomshot waterbus stopplace to stayswimming poolfree breakfastwithin easy walking distancethe riverdouble bedper nightrestaurants and barsmini fridgebamboo traingood sizekilling caves
Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

This is a travel guesthouse and good for a few days.

Ac worked well. Fan. TV with Hbo.

Bonus is round the corner there is choco coffee and a great cafe. Also some great restaurants. About the world cafe was great food and super clean. Woodhouse had awesome food.

Worth a stop. Agoda was a cheaper way of booking as the walk in rate was 7 dollars more.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2016

The Lux Guesthouse is in a great location, just a couple of blocks from Riverside and right in the heart of the old colonial city. Our 3 person room was, huge and clean though slightly musty smelling, Good A/C and fan, hot water, fridge and very hard but surprisingly comfy huge beds.
The reception staff were a little hit and miss, most were super friendly and helpful arranging transportation and solving minor hiccups but just a couple appeared a bit grumpy during our 3 day stay, reluctant to get off the sofa to take/get our key.
Lovely breakfast at the sister hotel 'Delux Villa' just around the corner. Massive portions and great service from the main waiter. Slight downside is that the manager there does appear to be extremely untrusting of the 'lower class' guesthouse guests - he pounced on us for our vouchers every time we appeared for breakfast or to use the pool (which is also fabulous) engaging in no conversation whatsoever and not even smiling. Sadly we witnessed him behaving very differently towards guests staying in the villa which we found disappointing.
Overall though a great place to base yourself in Battambang.

Stayed: November 2016
1  Thank Sara P
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

The location near nat market and night market. Everything good staff friendly and have good air con . Bathroom and have swimming poor and have normal prizes I feel warm when I been there I love that place

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2016

Before booking this hotel I read the many reviews here on TA and was surprised to read that some travelers rated this as the best hotel they had stayed at in Cambodia. Others said it was the worst hotel, giving it a very low rating.

I have personally stayed in dozens of similar hotels in Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand. The Lux Guest House is a typical budget hotel, the likes of which can be found all over Cambodia. It is okay, nothing more nothing less. Perfectly fine for budget travelers looking to spend $20 USD (or less), but nothing rave about.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2016

I booked in to the Lux Guesthouse for 2 nights around the middle of September, 2016. I wish I had not. I stayed at this place so I could get some work done on my laptop that I needed to do. After checking into my room I noticed that the wifi did not work and would only connect for short amounts of time. It was totally unusable.
So taking into consideration I needed to get some things done on the laptop I went down to reception and asked to change rooms, I was hoping that if I stayed in a room next to the router/modem I would get some wifi access. After waiting downstairs for around 30mins while the guys at reception made phone calls and walked and sat around they finally swapped my room. And it was another room far away from the router/modem. The wifi still did not work. The guys who work at reception were extremely unhelpful, dismissive but mostly just useless. I sat in the hallway right next to the modem/router for hours as I was able to get a low level of connection when sitting right next to it.
The room that I was swapped to was quite basic and run down and dirty.....the bathroom ceiling leaked water through a lot. To the point where you would need to be constantly movong out of the way of all the drops coming down. I just hope it was not coming from the toilet above.....although it probably was considering that most the drops were coming from directly above the toilet in my room and therefore there would likely be a toilet in the same position above the ceiling. The fan also did not work. I have attached photos of the ceiling and fan where the water was coming through.
The Lux hotel is also located at the lowest point around the town of Battambang, so when it rains it floods easily and it is not possible to walk outside the hotel unless you walk through knee deep water. I eventually did this and walked through the water after hours of being stuck in the hotel. I have attached photos of the flooded streets around the Lux Guesthouse.
After checking out I received an email from the Lux Guesthouse a couple of days later accusing me of breaking a TV, I am not surprised that their TV was broken as more things were broken than not in the room and through the hotel.
The only up side to staying here is that you can use the pool at the Deluxe hotel down the street, and the pool is quite nice. But all in all I would rate this as the worst place I have stated at in over a year of travel through many different countries.

Stayed: September 2016