US$47
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
All reviewsgreat hotelwestern restaurantrestaurant staffbe carefulhotel roomrecommend this hotelshaolin templemiswifitaxiyuan
Reviewed 13 September 2014

Was grand and excellent hotel(maybe in the past)as some of it starts to aged.Hotel is right opposite Holiday Inn Express and these hotel is no where near to anything(no shops no stalls and nothing you can do without a taxi ride).Laundry bag in room cannot be taken away(written clearly)...

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Let's get the double espresso issue out of the way first. 78 Yuan (roughly 10 Yuan to the GB pound) for a double espresso - they just double the price of a single. I mean - COME ON GUYS!! It wasn't even a particularly good one. We tried complaining but they didn't seem to understand what the issue was. As these people haven't travelled abroad they won't have noticed that even the best hotels in the world don't charge anywhere near that much for a double espresso so to be charged that in a fairly bog-standard hotel in a fairly bog-standard Chinese city is a bit annoying to say the least.

Apart from that we were quite pleasantly surprised by the Lee Royal. We were given interconnecting rooms which were very pleasant. The one with the double bed had a computer. There was free wifi. The bathrooms were quite swish. The food in the restaurant was good. We had a very amusing incident when we decided to check out the Karaoke one evening, and when the lift opened we were greeted by a line-up of about 10 young Chinese ladies. The choice of songs in English was a bit limited so we didn't bother but the young ladies were very amusing, and found our blond, 8 year old son beyond cute and were very giggly (he got a LOT of attention in China). We also tried eating in the Chinese restaurant but it consisted of a whole bunch of private dining rooms which we found a bit odd so we just went to the main buffet place, which had Chinese food and was fine. The first night I asked if the dumplings were vegetarian and was told they weren't, and then on the second night, completely unasked, they brought me some (extremely tasty) veggie ones which they had made specially and I thought was a very nice touch.

We used the pool on the top floor which had lovely views. It was a bit chilly (the Chinese seem to like their pools on the cool side) but still useful to amuse the kids.

Really not a bad choice at all - just don't ask for a double espresso.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in July 2013 during my business trip to Luoyang. This hotel is located next to my office branch so it was the best choice for me. The hotel lobby is very grand however, it's 5-star impression was soon disappeared as none of the staff can speak English. Fortunately I can speak some easy Chinese. Overall, this is not a hotel for foreigners.

The room was pretty big but lack some maintenance. I found the layout pretty strange..when enter the room, you would find yourself in the middle of the toilet. Then you have to walk pass the toilet to the bed. Fortunately, there's a sliding door (actually a wardrobe door) separated bedroom and toilet. There was no wifi available in the room..only the lobby. There's a desktop computer provided in a room but I wonder who would use it since there's no internet provided. Breakfast was ok but the coffee was really bad. Service attitude especially front desk staff was not good but I didn't expect much from local hotel anyway. The cleanliness is above Chinese standard, which is ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kulanuj N
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We found the Mudu Lee Royal Hotel to be very nice, very clean, but had very hard beds. Their breakfast was extremely good. I only wish that there would have been a few more employees that spoke English. We wanted to eat at their Chinese restaurant on the 4th floor but no one spoke English and we had no way of figuring out what we could or would order. It would have been nice if they had put English descriptions on their menu. We ended up going to their restaurant on the 2nd floor both nights where we had an employee - Durand - help us out. He was so friendly, and although he kept saying that his English was not very good, we found it to be excellent. We did have one incident that happened when we checked out. They had a lot of complimentary items in the hotel room and when we saw the packet of condoms we thought it was so funny that we took them to give to our nephew (who was in Beijing teaching English) as a joke. When we checked out and were waiting with our tour guide for my brother and sister to come down, an employee came up to speak with our tour guide - glances went back and forth to us and finally our tour guide came up to us to say that the hotel was saying that a packet of condoms was missing. That we needed to pay for them. I laughed and told her what happened, then gave them back to the hotel - but, I felt a bit sorry for our tour guide who had to confront us about this - we are older adults so I'm sure that at first she was telling the hotel employee that we probably had not used them! The guide did tell the hotel that they should put a price on the packet so that the customers know. We looked at the incident as being very funny, but I would guess that if someone had actually used them and then were confronted it could be very embarrassing ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a softer bed
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed for 3 nights with my husband and 3 kids. It seems that they're trying hard to be a 5 star hotel, but at best they are a 3 star. Service was good for us, from the greeters at the door, to the numerous free toiletries, daily gifts, and the numerous curteous attendants, but it was just too dirty! The carpets were stained, the showers were extremely mouldy, and the rubber shower mat was disgusting. The bed was extremely hard - there seemed to be a wooden board put on top of the mattress! The food in the buffet breakfast area was often mis-labelled in English and the chairs were in need of a good cleaning. On the plus side, there were free computers with internet in the rooms. Would not recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family