All reviews great hotel be careful hotel room recommend this hotel shaolin temple chinese taxi
Reviewed 4 October 2014

The hotel met or exceeded our expectations for a 41/2 to 5 star hotel. The inclusive breakfast was extensive with lots of seating area. Lots of healthy fresh food choices but too heavily slanted towards Chinese selections for my taste. Our room was ginormous, quiet and very comfortable. In the words of another reviewer, the bathroom area was quite swish. The fitness centre was adequate but not 5 star. Some of the fitness machines seemed of a poor make and hard to adjust. Also, not much selection as the room was small. At the time of our visit, the pool was freezing. We ate our lunches and dinners elsewhere while we were touring so I can only comment on breakfast. Great place to stay as long as you're picked by by your tour company for the day as there is no reason to take a stroll in the area.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paddleballdude
Reviewed 15 September 2014

The hotel is nice with spacious and clean room. It was returned 5 star but maybe not Internationally rated. Upon arrival i was a little bit down because the lobby was huge but dark. The stay was just ok and nothing special of this hotel. The breakfast were plenty but it was too Chinese, I would suggest more international foods. One of the good thing is that they have nice pianist playing piano in the lobby in the evening. Apart from that, nothing seems quite special. i recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2014

Was grand and excellent hotel(maybe in the past)as some of it starts to aged.Hotel is right opposite Holiday Inn Express and these hotel is no where near to anything(no shops no stalls and nothing you can do without a taxi ride).Laundry bag in room cannot be taken away(written clearly)...

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Let's get the double espresso issue out of the way first. 78 Yuan (roughly 10 Yuan to the GB pound) for a double espresso - they just double the price of a single. I mean - COME ON GUYS!! It wasn't even a particularly good one. We tried complaining but they didn't seem to understand what the issue was. As these people haven't travelled abroad they won't have noticed that even the best hotels in the world don't charge anywhere near that much for a double espresso so to be charged that in a fairly bog-standard hotel in a fairly bog-standard Chinese city is a bit annoying to say the least.

Apart from that we were quite pleasantly surprised by the Lee Royal. We were given interconnecting rooms which were very pleasant. The one with the double bed had a computer. There was free wifi. The bathrooms were quite swish. The food in the restaurant was good. We had a very amusing incident when we decided to check out the Karaoke one evening, and when the lift opened we were greeted by a line-up of about 10 young Chinese ladies. The choice of songs in English was a bit limited so we didn't bother but the young ladies were very amusing, and found our blond, 8 year old son beyond cute and were very giggly (he got a LOT of attention in China). We also tried eating in the Chinese restaurant but it consisted of a whole bunch of private dining rooms which we found a bit odd so we just went to the main buffet place, which had Chinese food and was fine. The first night I asked if the dumplings were vegetarian and was told they weren't, and then on the second night, completely unasked, they brought me some (extremely tasty) veggie ones which they had made specially and I thought was a very nice touch.

We used the pool on the top floor which had lovely views. It was a bit chilly (the Chinese seem to like their pools on the cool side) but still useful to amuse the kids.

Really not a bad choice at all - just don't ask for a double espresso.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in July 2013 during my business trip to Luoyang. This hotel is located next to my office branch so it was the best choice for me. The hotel lobby is very grand however, it's 5-star impression was soon disappeared as none of the staff can speak English. Fortunately I can speak some easy Chinese. Overall, this is not a hotel for foreigners.

The room was pretty big but lack some maintenance. I found the layout pretty strange..when enter the room, you would find yourself in the middle of the toilet. Then you have to walk pass the toilet to the bed. Fortunately, there's a sliding door (actually a wardrobe door) separated bedroom and toilet. There was no wifi available in the room..only the lobby. There's a desktop computer provided in a room but I wonder who would use it since there's no internet provided. Breakfast was ok but the coffee was really bad. Service attitude especially front desk staff was not good but I didn't expect much from local hotel anyway. The cleanliness is above Chinese standard, which is ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business