“Terrible!”

Maki Fresh
Ranked #509 of 985 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Maki Fresh is a fast casual Asian restaurant offering a variety of fresh options including rice bowls, sliders, salads and sushi in a modern and inviting atmosphere.
Reviewed 8 August 2017

I took my special needs nephew to this restaurant. He ordered what was suppose to be a spicy dish however, this was so spicy you could not eat it. It called for green chilies but after ordering we realized they were out of them so it was not on there. He normally enjoys spicy (the hottest wings you can find) but this was truly beyond spicy. I mentioned to the cashier that he could not eat it. The cashier made no attempt whatsoever to make it right. I ended up ordering him an additional entree so he would have something to eat. At one time this was one of my favorite places but I will not be back.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

They serve tempura without tempura dipping sauce. I gave this one 2 different times. Don't think they will get a third visit from me. I tried to be nice because I ordered the first visit through a third party it can ice cold and just ugh. So while we where there visiting we gave it another try. I couldn't believe they didn't have any sauce to give me. I ask and the look that was given was a deer in the headlights look. The smell of the cooking oil just about made me sick(I maybe more sensitive to it than others ) but it had been over used. They really need to change it about a week before.The crab was imitation crab meat in the roll we ordered.The staff for the most part where friendly but didn't seem to be able to help guide or answer any questions that we ask the male at the register wasn't friendly at all. Bottom Line : Won't do this one again.

Reviewed 15 May 2016

My family eats a lot of sushi, both in Birmingham and everywhere we travel This place has below average sushi. The sushi does not taste very fresh and the service is average. Honestly, the Publix deli sushi is better

Reviewed 5 March 2016

I highly recommend Maki Fresh. This is easily one of the best restaurants in the area. The service is fast. The food is very good. I order the chicken Hibachi bowl each time, and it is very good. Great food. Try it out if you have not yet been. I have also tried their California Roll, and it is very good.

Reviewed 31 December 2015

Deceptive menu, failure to inform, tables and seating that has not been cleaned, dried out pickled cabbage...those are just some of the reasons why I'm giving this excuse for a sushi place my first "terrible" grade.

I have a real issue when the person taking your order asks if you want to substitute an item (seaweed salad) for the listed combo appetizer (it was something else), and doesn't tell you that there is a $1 upcharge for making the switch - even though both cost the same amount on the appetizer (side item) menu.

I have another issue when the spicy tuna roll is made of mashed up tuna rather than whole chunks - I've never seen that at any other sushi restaurant - and even more of an issue when the manager tells me that "that's the way everyone does it." (To which I responded, "Really, where do you eat sushi?" She answered some place in Hoover that I'd never heard of and I said, "Well, I usually go to Ginza or Mt. Fuji, where they would never dare to even think of making it that way.")

Our table wasn't clean, nor was the bench at the booth - and the restaurant was less than 1/2-full, so there was no excuse for lack of time between patrons.

The pickled cabbage was dried out and there was no wasabi on the condiment counter.

This is simply NOT what I have in mind when I go out for sushi. I had not been to Maki Fresh in quite a while, and sincerely regret giving it another shot - we should have gone to Nothin But Noodles, which is next door and quite good.