The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB
US$127
Curio.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$152/night.

US$116
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$146/night.

US$99
US$101
US$98
Travelocity
US$90
All reviewsfive pointsvalet parkingboutique hotelwithin walking distanceupgraded to a suiteparking deckvulcan statuecorner suiteuab medical centerbirmingham hotelself parkice machinewater pressurestaff was friendlyfree breakfastdefinitely stay here againthe breakfast area
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

So much for the romantic night away from home we'd planned..

Pros: it was convienent to the restaurant where we had a dinner reservation.

Cons: we were informed that the hotel was under rennovation when we made the reservation...what we WEREN'T told was that it was generally very dirty, construction debris was everywhere, it reeked of cigarette smoke, there was NO hot water (gotta love a cold shower in february), the heat did not work ( 29 degrees outside, 65 inside our room) there were barking dogs in the rooms on both sides of us (pet friendly and no other rooms available when I called the front desk), the exercise room was closed, no business center, no Wifi, towels coarse enough to remove skin...... I'm sorry but the whole experience was like a Saturday Night Live skit for a bad landlord...

Unsympathetic staff. (Sorry there's nothing we can do....)

In a situation like this the hotel should just be closed during renovation.

I'm not a big complainer - this is the only negative review I've ever given on TA. But if you're planning on staying here I'd suggest calling for a reservation and ask a LOT of questions.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2017

Looked like they were in the middle -- or the start -- of transforming it to a Hotel Indigo. There was no signage on the street side for the hotel so it was a little frustrating to find. Reception is actually around the backside - If you are coming off 20th street, walk toward Sleek and follow the path to the right, you'll see a sign for reception.
Tip: There's a parking deck off Magnolia Avenue. Park there and go to the bottom and it will bring you to the back end of the building

Folks working at the hotel were very nice. The room was enormous, but - alas - had the look of a place under construction. Corridor on the floor was a mess. Room had some signs of age - like it was ready to be redone (shower was a little rickety, accessories were old).
Bed was comfortable and black out curtains def did their jobs (ive been many places where they did not)

Good location, easy to get an Uber.

I'd go back when they have the HOtel Indigo in and give it another try.

Stayed: December 2017
Reviewed 7 December 2017

My husband called and made reservations for my birthday, Dec 2. We were really looking forward to a nice kid free night away. That is the opposite of what we got. Upon making the reservation by phone, he was not made aware of the renovations. When we arrived for check in it was very apparent that we probably wouldn't be getting what we paid for. We decided to give it a chance. We were given a room on the 8th floor and it was very nice so we became optimistic. We went out for dinner and drinks and came back around 1030. As we were getting ready to settle in for the night you could hear music as if it was in the room with us, when I say the walls were rattling, I'm not exaggerating. My husband called the desk and the Lady said out was a new bar that just opened directly below and to the right off the hotel and she would call to see if they would turn it down but it was probably so loud because of the construction (and lack of sound insulation) in the hotel. Now don't get me wrong, we've stayed near bars\clubs before but this was unreal. We gave it a while longer then realized no rest would happen for us and we packed up and checked out. Upon check out my husband asked for a manager he could talk with about a refund. He was told to call Leslie during the week. He's since left messages with no response. My advice, go elsewhere. Also, it'd be nice to inform your customers of the renovations prior to them wasting their money.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beth120282
Ray M, Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Thank you for telling us about your stay. While we strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience with us, we are truly sorry about the disturbance caused by the local businesses and will be addressing this issue immediately. We certainly hope that you will come back and see us after renovations are complete so that we may redeem your loyalty and give you the romantic night you should have had for your birthday. Again, thank you for telling about the issues you had so that we take action to ensure that this does not happen again.

Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

I was looking forward to this “boutique” hotel and I’m sure once the renovation is complete it will be the gem of Five Points. Currently under construction to become a Hotel Indigo. Negatives based on the Reno: no valet parking, restaurant & business center are closed and parking is difficult to find if you’re a first time visitor. Positives are it’s a beautiful historic area with wonder architecture, great restaurants and walkable.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Ray M, Manager at The Hotel Highland Downtown UAB, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We certainly hope you will come back and see us after renovations are complete.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Hotel was under renovation on arrival and whilst we were aware before arrival we had no idea it was to be to this extent. Soon to become hotel indigo I can see the aim and indeed some of the decor who h is bring attempted. Sadly our too. Was unfinished. Tap in sink was broken and together with a minor leak from the shower showed the rush for completion. However news were comfortable and soft furnishings classy. The kitchen area of the suite was again unfinished sadly.
I think we arrived at an unfortunate time. A ok hotel...hopevully soon to become a very good one.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple