“Wonderful Surprise”
Review of Bamboo Restaurant

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 975 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 26 September 2016

We had heard this restaurant was good but we weren't prepared for the experience. It was a Thursday night at 7:30 and we waited about thirty minutes to be seated. The place was alive with a well dressed crowd from late 20's through old age like me. As you enter there is a long bar on your left and a long seating area to the right. The decor in comfortable and very NY, LA, Miami. Its a bit loud due to the hard surfaces but that adds to the bustle.
Our waiter, I believe his name is Brent, was very attentive without being intrusive and he was very knowledgeable about the menu and the extensive Sake list.

We wanted to try the Momos but it was not available that night because a necessary ingredient had not arrived from Tibet, a testimony to the Chef's commitment to twisting traditional Tibetan recipes. We were, however very impressed with the Spicy Tuna, Avacado, Cucumber with Aioli for a mere $8.00, the Tako octopus salad was stellar and the Seared Tuna with Ponzu and Jalapenos $13.00 was to die for. The presentation was beautiful.

Those of you who had read my other reviews will find me picky. This was a perfect experience and I look forward to returning soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2016

I have never reviewed any resturant a second time but there is always a first. I must say Bamboo on 2nd. in Birmingham AL. is off the charts. Maybe the best Pork Belly Ramen soup stateside and Sushi to die for. Start early as it can be very busy but worth the wait!! Over and above the fabulous food Bamboo has some of the best inherent ambiance I have been a part of!!!

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

Great atmosphere, smooth chardonnay, amazing service (thanks Sofia). The food spoke volumes. My son joined me later & loved it.

Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had our date night at this restaurant and the food and service was excellent! They were pretty busy as it was a Saturday night. We almost left as we were very hungry and it was a 35 minute wait. So happy that we waited as it was worth the wait! I have eaten at many sushi restaurants in and around Birmingham and hands down this is the best one!
The only downside is that it is a very small restaurant and the seating is very close to others. We sat at the bar, and it was ent bad. I will definitely return!

Reviewed 31 July 2016

Walked in around 5:30 or 6 on a Saturday evening. There was one table left. The tables are pretty jammed close together, so not a great "date" arrangement. We moved to the bar. The food was pretty good-and interesting, but mostly appetizer/small plates instead of dinner portions. Good food to share. We had pork belly skewers, egg roll, momos, and a wham Bham sushi roll. All good. Most run about $10, sushi more like $15. Food comes out quickly, within minutes of ordering. Jackie Chan movie on one TV and a Godzilla flick on the other. Trendy, like I said. The crowd was almost all under 30. Last time we came on a Friday night and it was more crowded but not so "young". Parking is a challenge, be prepared to walk a few blocks. If you park in a lot, be sure to pay and put your ticket in sight or you'll get a boot or towed.