“A hidden Gem”

Price range: US$20 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a fine dining establishment, with an ambient candlelit atmosphere, serving authentic Italian food.
Reviewed 28 June 2016

My wife and I had heard good things about Amore, so we selected it for a special dinner on our anniversary. The restaurant is located in a shopping strip on one of Birmingham's busiest thoroughfares. Pulling up in front of the establishment is less than impressive, but when you walk through the door, that all changes. Amore has a magnificent atmosphere. Their bar is first rate. They make one the best vodka martinis that I have ever had...with blue cheese stuff olives! There are several dining areas. One near the bar, a small dining area called the "wine room" and, I believe, two larger main dining rooms. We enjoyed the "wine room". I had the eggplant parmigiana and my wife had the shrimp marinara. Both dishes were excellent and the portions plentiful. The only drawback was service was a bit slow, due to several wait staff members calling off work. The co-owner, Angela, went out of her way to explain the situation and make up for the situation by providing some drinks and desserts on the house. We plan on a return visit soon. It may become our new favorite restaurant in the area!

1  Thank pilotpaul70

Reviewed 28 June 2016

Celebrating a special occasion or just looking for a nice Italian dinner the Amore Restaurant is a great choice. It had been awhile since we visited Amore and it has been expanded and remodeled, a nice transformation. Other reviews mention the dark interior and it does take a while for your eyes to adjust. We did ask for a flashlight to read the menu and that took care of the situation.
The food was fresh, delicious and well presented. My husband and I ordered different veal dishes. Both were excellent! Background music was very relaxing and added to the overall ambiance. Great service too. Will definitely return.

2  Thank merriment27
Reviewed 25 June 2016

We have lived in Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Kentucky and Florida. We love Italian food! We have eaten at most of the top Italian restaurants in those states which covers most of the South. I truly believe Amore Ristorante Italiano in Birmingham on Highway 280 is the "Best Italian Restaurant in the South". They recently remodeled and expanded due to demands for more seating. I was afraid the restaurant might lose some of it's ambiance. The opposite is true. The atmosphere and music match the food which is difficult to do.

3  Thank TommyLimbaugh
Reviewed 23 June 2016

We have gone to Amore for a number of years and seen it through several changes in restaurant seating and ownership/chefs. This last time was the best yet. Finally, they have hit on enough space and the restaurant doesn't feel crowded anymore. Enjoyed a very nice evening before Father's Day. Food was terrific. Always recommend the meatballs whether as an appetizer or a main course. Caprese salad is always excellent too. This time we each ordered different salads, Caprese and regular house salad. Was surprised how good house salad was. For entrée, ordered crabcakes which were so very good and Fruti De Mari with lemon butter, white wine sauce. Ended with tiramisu which was light and very good. WIne selection is good. Enjoyable part of evening was that the tables are now spaced well enough apart to actually enjoy the conversation you are having with the person you came with. Really recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Outwego
Reviewed 13 June 2016

It was my husband and I's wedding anniversary and we found this restaurant online. Let me start off by saying the food and staff are amazing!!! It was the perfect romantic dinner with classical music playing softly in the background and candle lit tables. Everything we tried was just outstanding and we will for sure be back.

2  Thank grwalden