All reviewstiger leaping gorgebeautiful gardenold townprivate balconyshower curtaindrivertaxienglishoutskirtsheating
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I dreamt of staying a place like this. I found the TripAdvisor reviews on the Bruce Chalet and Lijiang in general really helpful. I was after somewhere magical, just like all the guesthouses in Lijiang had described themselves on their websites. This place was so beautiful. I regret only staying 2 nights.

The Bruce Chalet is outside of the old town (2nd old town, not main old town). It is on the edge of some fields and is a walled complex situated amongst a tranquil and serene private garden through which runs a stream into a pond. There are little bridges over the stream and places to sit in the garden. The buidlings themselves are in the traditional style with balconies out the front. I believe there are 3 or 4 separate buildings, with all rooms overlooking the garden and with an amazing view of the snow capped peak of (I think) Jade Dragon Snow Mountain 玉龙雪山. The rooms themselves are spotless clean and decorated so beautifully (with very thick duvets and fluffy pillows).

Our host and her helper we so wonderful and gracious. My most cherished experience was the host picked fresh kumquots from the garden and gave me a bowl. They were delicious, I couldn't stop. In the morning she cooked us fresh eggs, and at night we were given warm milk and treats. I bought some strawberries in the old town and brought them back and the host insisted on cleaning and preparing them for me to eat. I can't go on about this place enough! It was magical. You must stay here if you come to Yunnan province.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank N2dalo
BruceChalet, General Manager at The Bruce Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2011

Thank you for your coming, wish seeing you next year!

Reviewed 15 May 2011

A nicely refurbished and homey accommodation with Naxi architecture, Bruce Chalet is a home away from home equipped with modern facilities, beautiful garden with pond, friendly staff who serve with their heart and a playful pet dog. The view from the 2nd floor and the upper balcony is beautiful with Snow Mountain in the background and farmland near the Chalet.

We like all the modern comforts in the room, incl the electric blanket and LCD TV. One comment is the height of basin in my parent's room (Snow Mountain View Room). It is too low and they have to bend down to do the washings. My room (Garden View Double Room), however, is good and value for money.

The location is quiet in a local neighbourhood. It is a good 15-min walk to ShuHe Old Town but you walk along a farmland against the backdrop of the Snow Mountain and may occasionally come across locals doing their daily chores. The experience can't be more authentic than this.

The staffs in the Bruce Chalet are very friendly and helpful. Belle helped me to arrange transport to the Snow Mountain, bought tickets for Lijiang Impression and also the train ticket for us to depart to Dali. The service is very personalised and she gave us very good recommendations on sight-seeing as well. Every morning, she will make fresh soy milk for breakfast.

All in all, this is a great place to unwind, soak up the local culture and hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
BruceChalet, General Manager at The Bruce Chalet, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2011

Thank you very much for you comments, I apologize that I can't show up this time, and I make sure meet you when you come next time.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

My husband, our 2 boys (5+7 years) and I stayed at Bruce Chalet for 4 nights. It was a perfect choice in regard of location and hospitality. It's a cozy place, almost like a private house with about 12 rooms in different sizes located on 2 floors facing a charming garden. In front of the rooms there are chairs to relax and to enjoy the view into the beautiful garden. Before we arrived Bella was already very helpful to arrange the transfer from the airport and even though we arrived 4 hrs later than expected, we were promptly picked up by our driver. The garden was lightened so beautifully when we arrived. After the trouble with the delayed flights, we immediately enjoyed the relaxing athmosphere. The family room was nice, traditionally furnished, clean, with a super large bed that easily fit for the 4 of us, they offered us to put in an additional bed - but it wasn't necessary. The aircon was a bit small for the size of the room, considering that the evenings are still cold (it's probably an issue during winter), but there was a strong heating lamp in the bathroom and the mattress could be heated as well. The stuff was so extremely friendly, it was wonderful! They made us feel so comfortable, our boys loved Bella. When we arrived that night, both my husband and me were caughing a lot which made them serve us a special tea straight away - I was so impressed....Without even asking for it, they offered me to use their washer which was so great with the 2 boys always messing up their clothes....they did not even charge us for that! Also they had a 3 months old dog which became the best friend of our boys... Breakfast was served in the Kitchen, interesting (!), but all right. Kitchen is a bright room, clean, facing the garden. They made eggs and served special food of the region, also they had toast and jam, fruits and yoghurt and more chinese items. It was very basic, but ok for the start into the day. We only missed a real coffee!!!! The second point why to choose this hotel is definitely the great location. It's located in a rural neighborhood - but only a 5-10 minutes walk from "Shuhe old town". Shuhe is definitely nicer to spend time at than busy Lijiang old town!!! Surprisingly it's not mentioned in the Lonely Planet and many travel books...It's smaller, but with the same set up of a typical old town, less crowded, very relaxing and therefor has a nice atmosphere! There are wonderful restaurants, shops, cafes (with great coffee!) and much more... About 100m from the main entrance, outside the old town is a bycicle shop where you can rent all kinds of bikes. They even had a seat for our younger son (not too proper but ok for the 2 days we used it). We went by bike to Baisha Town, quite nice, and to a temple up the mountain. Another day we went by bike to the Black Dragon Pool Garden and Lijiang Old Town (maybe 3km from our place), but as mentioned before we returned happily to our peaceful surrounding! Also the hotel helped us to hire a driver for 1 day to bring us to Yulong Snow Mountain for a very reasonable price. We took the cable car to he highest point (4500m) and it was amazing and beautiful. The snow up there, the clear blue sky and the views were stunning. And really no problem with the kids - we were a bit concerned about the height and breathing problems and therefor bought 4 bottles of oxygen - definitely not necessary! You can still buy extra ones up there if needed. The whole trip with all the fees, tickets and eqipment will probably cost about 350RMB per person + oxygen bottles and driver.....but it's definitely worth to go! Also the whole park is beautiful and we almost spend the whole day their.
If we go back to Lijiang we will definitely stay at Bruce Chalet again and recommend it to anybody who is looking for a cozy, quiet and beautiful place with great personal hospitality. It's not a 5 star hotel, but a great value for the money and in one of the best location in Lijiang!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny140674

Thanks for your coming, I heard from Bella that she had a very good time with you 4, especially your 2 sons. When you come next time, we wish we both can serve you again.

Reviewed 10 May 2011

Our stay in The Bruce Chalet was wonderful. The hotel is situated in a village where locals are so hospitable and away from a small town by 10-15mins walk. It has a big balcony where my friends and I had a nice BBQ time lol. Staffs are limited but they are happy to assist at our convenience. We think the price is very resonable for all the joys we had. Is a very nice natural place for relaxation for busy city people <<< ME.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

When will you come again? Candy said she will come again this year, you can contact her and come together again.

Reviewed 22 April 2011

The View of the Bruce Chalet is excellent......the room is soft and clean.....
And the owner of the inn (Bruce) is so nice and friendly.....We are friends now^0^

I wish I can travel to Lijiang next year ......and meet Bruce and his lovely pet dog again^_~

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo

Come! Come! Let's come and meet again!
Thanks