“Very chilled, helpful and friendly”

Nomad Guesthouse & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Lijiang
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at Nomad in 2009, for a few nights, and stayed nearby a little longer, eating often on Nomad. my Chinese wife stayed there for a couple of months the same year. The staff are wonderful, Peter, who is Dutch and his Taiwanese partner. Making every effort to help, inform and make comfortable all guests, with lots of local knowledge, advice and hospitality. Great vegetarian food, coffee and cakes too...

Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

We were in Shuhe at the end of may 2013. Unfortunately this place was closed for renovation. I hope it will be open again so because we didn't find any non chinese restaurant in Shuhe.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Great place to stay if you are in the Lijiang area and want to get away from the crowds. Shuhe old town is beautiful and more peaceful than Lijiang (just 10 minutes by shared minibus at 2 RMB) - I was lucky enough to get there just after the touristy season so there were literally just 2 other people in the whole guesthouse.
I had a Deluxe room at around £7 per night, very comfortable but in room shower/toilet was not included. Not sure if any of the rooms have this option but I found the communal facilities really clean.
The owner is a Dutch vegetarian guy so expect only (good) vegetarian dishes and some great infusions (no alcohol as far as I am aware, I really fancied a beer..).
In addition he is the most helpful man I found on the trip: apart from helping me booking some buses and giving me general ideas for off the beaten track sights he made, on the day of my departure he made the extra step to wake up earlier to walk me towards the taxis and bargain with them for me. He even made me coffe to bring with me (a real rarity in China.)

2  Thank Barbieturici
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We can only comment on the food and the excellent service provided by the very talented Dutch proprietor, Peter [as we were staying at the Hui Feng Inn, which doesn't ordinarily serve meals (see separate review)].

This is a vegetarian establishment and more care is taken with the food than in many restaurants. The menu is itself attractive and offers both a la carte and good value 'set' selections comprising, for example [in the case of breakfast], a freshly squeezed mixed fruit and/or vegetable juice (half size), fried potatoes with rosemary and baby toms, choice of eggs, toast & preserve and coffee or tea (38 yuan).

Portions are generous and a bowl of noodle soup with vegetables is almost a meal in itself. We're meat-eating vegetarians and the food here made a very nice change in itself, and especially from Chinese!

Even if you're on a day-trip from Lijiang and not dining then this is a great place to pause for a tea or coffee. Peter has a great selection all lovingly prepared and, whilst I noticed some inconsistency in the cheesecake, the apple strudel is excellent.

2  Thank Chris_and_Jean
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I am not staying there with owner Peter from Holland.
Passed by when I am wandering in the old town, I found it nice and warm looking inside the cafe.
Decided to start dining with coffee Latte as the beginning. Cannot believe that Peter can produced smooth not milk covering the excellent expresso base.
This is the only beginning !
I took my wife Annie and sister-in-law Nikki there the next day.
Nikki is vegetarian , so we decided to order tomato pasty and also apple strudel as desert .
100 percent vegetarian food guaranteed to readers here online. For apple strudel , it could compared with the one I did try in Vienna and Prague two years ago. The only difference is the sourcing problem in China for the flour powder and ice cream or cream. But, all food are cook well and care.
The last but the least, I would highly recommended the raw fruit juice. Don't missed the Juice with name " Secret ".
I am sure you love it.