“Fab stay in Porec”

Valamar Diamant Residence
Ranked #11 of 109 Speciality Lodging in Porec
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Valamar Diamant Residenence from 8th – 22nd Sept so the hotel and Porec itself were a bit quieter as the season was coming to an end. The apartments are located approx. 15-20 minute stroll into the old town of Porec. They apartments are in a lovely setting, are spacious and on arrival were very clean with a lovely large balcony. Maid service was every day (change of towels if required, bed made) sheets changed every 3 to 4 days, however I think cleaning of floors, bathroom, kitchen work surfaces etc was left to a minimum. Bed was soft and pillows extremely lumpy! There was no iron in the apartment but after a phone call to reception we had one within 10 minutes. Our apartment (A1) was very noisy in the morning being next to the recycling bins which were emptied at about 6 o'clock and you could everything from the surrounding apartments from screaming children, scraping of furniture (this went on every morning for about an hour - god knows what they were doing!) and the occasional snoring!

The facilities at the hotel are fantastic, the gym is great, we didn’t use them but there is a spa and beauty salon and very large indoor and outdoor pools - although both pools were cold. We tried the buffet restaurant one night which had a lovely variety of food and we thought very reasonably priced. The pool bar is great as is the hotel bar with a great range of drinks along with cakes and sandwiches available. We found all the staff to be very helpful with all speaking very good English and German.

Wifi is only available in the hotel lobby which is a bit annoying. To start with we were given a daily code but in the second week were told we had to register then receive a code by email to then gain access - which doesn't really work if you can't get access to wifi to get the email!

This review sounds a bit like I’m complaining but I’m most definitely not! None of our “complaints” spoiled our stay; we had a great time and would definitely recommend Valamar residence for anyone wishing to stay in Porec.

Room Tip: We were in A1 which is the block closest to the hotel and was a bit noisy especially first thing in...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PKOF
ValamarDiamant, General Manager at Valamar Diamant Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear guest,

In the name of Valamar Diamant Hotel & Residence I would like to thank you for choosing our residence for your vacation. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts and impressions with the Tripadvisor community and for the recommendation
I’m very pleased to see that you had a great time and enjoyed your stay. We know that we have some deficiencies in the apartments and that we have to improve that. We care about the opinion of each guest, and your remarks will definitely be taken into consideration to improve the overall quality of our services. We apologize to you for any inconvenience that you had during your stay.

We hope you will come to visit Poreč and our residence again, we will be happy to accommodate you.

Kind regards
Valamar Diamant Hotel & Residence Team

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed 4 days at the VDR during a very hot period in August, 1 night in a 1 bedroom apartment and then 3 nights in 2 bedroom version - so able to comment on both.

This was accidental, as they had made a mix up with our booking. Normally this would preclude me giving a 5/5 rating but the matter was dealt with so professionally that it actually enhanced my opinion of the hotel.

We selected the Residences rather than the hotel as we wanted more space for our family of four and the option to self cater. I do not think the 1 bed version would have met the brief for the former, the sofa bed in the living area is large enough but still felt like you were sleeping in the kitchen. The 2 bed ground floor was exactly what we were looking for, decent bedrooms separated by a spacious living area with kitchen, opening onto a private courtyard (nice and shady in the heat of summer).

The Residences were also quiet and I do not think this could be said about all the hotel rooms as the pool area here (and next door at the Crystal) is used for night-time entertainment.

We ate breakfast each morning in the Hotel and unable to fault. The choice was remarkable, the dining room clean and light and the service excellent.

This standard is carried on through out the property. There is a large and warm indoor pool which most guests seemed to ignore in favour of the outdoor pools here and at the sister hotel next door but for keeping children both amused and out of the sun in the middle of the day it worked great.

If you are self-catering (we ate 1 night in the restaurant, again great choice & quality, no issues) I would agree with previous comments that car an advantage to get to the shops - although there is a supermarket just behind the marina in Porec so you could get provisions and get quickly back to the hotel using the tourist train that shuttles along the coast or the cycle rickshaws that plough the same route.

As regards the location and activities, the hotel is a gentle 5 minute walk to the sea and 15/20 minutes into Porec. They also seem to run a full program of events, not our scene but sitting and watching free fireworks at midnight over the Adriatic was a real treat - as was our entire stay.

3  Thank Silex
Reviewed 1 September 2013

These apartments are 3 *, exactly as classed. We stayed in a 2 bed apt, which are based on the ground floor and do need external repainting, mainly as they are all shaded by trees in the patio. The top,1 bed apartments, have the sunny patios.

The accommodation was spacious for a family of 4 and cleaned daily with towels changed as required and pool towels provided. Beds were better than expected too.

We were hardly in the apartment as we were by the pool, beach or out and about.
The hotel facilities are good, and on this complex are 3 valamar hotels which can all be used. We didn't eat in the restaurants as we liked the beach restaurant (jedro) for lunch and ate out in town every night.

Towards the beach (which is public access and not linked to the hotel so sunbeds are payable) there are trampolines, crazy golf etc to keep the kids busy (all payable). At the beach there are lots of water sports if you like, pedalos, kayaking etc. There are also playgrounds dotted around. Also, bike hire is available. I found the costs of all these things to be extremely reasonable.
Within 10 minutes walk of the apartment there is loads for the kids to do.
We didn't use the kids club either, although discovered on the last day that they could have had free ice cream everyday between certain times which would have saved me some money!

The walk into Porec from the apartments was a good 20-25 minutes along the sea front path. It was a walk we never tired of as it is a beautiful walk next to the pine trees and the clear sea. The sunsets were stunning too.
Porec itself is a lovely town. Lots of restaurants to choose from and a nice little marina. Compared to euro countries we found eating out a lot cheaper and excellent food. In the whole 2 weeks we did not have a bad meal.

We had a car so we could visit various places. We went to Rovinj, Motovun, Umag, Novotown, Lanterna. All well worth the visit, unsurprisingly Motovun and Rovinj were the highlights. Istria is a beautiful area, one of the nicest I think I have been to. Everything is close by and you're always close to the clear sea. A warning if your going to climb the bell tower in Rovinj the steps are wooden and narrow and open, so you can see all the way down. Unfortunately I didn't get to the top as I had to turn around to take my daughter down who was too scared.

We also hired a boat taxi for a private 2 hour tour to the Linkski canal and Rovinj. To see Rovinj from the sea was better than from the land. I highly recommend doing a boat trip of some kind.

The weather for us was slightly mixed. We had some spectacular thunderstorms during the night with torrential rain, which led to few sleepless hours, but the days were mostly lovely and sunny.

I would definitely come back to Istria, and based on value for money, convenience and location I would also stay in the residence again.

2  Thank hgbe
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Hotel Diamant in Porec, me and my family stayed in the apartments as we wanted to be self-catering and for more room. First impressions of our apartment wasn't the best, from the outside the paintwork looked mouldy and the walls were covered with ants, however inside the room was clean and quite spacious. There wasn't a kettle or a toaster in the apartment which was a bit disappointing. Apart from this the apartment wasn't at all bad and the maids were very efficient in cleaning and putting in more towels and toilet rolls. The other apartments especially those on the second floor seemed better I think it was mainly the ground floor apartments which weren't very appealing on the outside.

On the other hand the hotel was great, I think they had painted the outside as it looked much more clean and new than previous photos I had seen of it before I came, the inside was very modern and clean and all staff were extremely friendly. Likewise the swimming pool area was also clean and the poolside food was very nice.

I wanted to go self-catering so that me and my family could go into Porec in the evening and try a different restraunt each night, although we found that porec was very busy at night and often in the main square loud music was played live by bands and so finding a restraunt was a bit manic! After eating in porec a few times we decided to stay nearer the hotel where it is much quieter. Our favourite place was Dino's, the food was fantastic and the price very cheap averaging about 285 kuna for a full course meal for 4 people which is only about £30! Also the hotel food was very tasty as we paid to try their buffet style cuisine one night, if we stayed again I would definitely stay in the hotel rather than the apartments as the food was excellent and the interior of hotel was very welcoming.

When we first arrived the temperature was around 37 degrees which was far to hot to even lie in it, (as you will find everyone is under an umbrella in the shade) but after 2 overcast days the weather cooled down to a more suitable temperature for us.

Overall porec and the hotel was lovely, and me and my family had a pleasant stay. Just a few little improvements I.e. a lick of paint would have made the apartments much better. The area is great for little children, with trampolines etc near the beach. We really enjoyed the holiday on a whole and would most definitely return to Croatia as it is so beautiful. I also recommend anyone staying to book the fish picnic boat trip, where you travel to Rovinj which is absolutely beautiful, it was well worth the money, we had a great day!

Room Tip: If I was to stay again I would stay in the hotel rather than the residence
3  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have stayed at Valamar Diamant Residence 5 days in June 2013. The two bedroom apartment (K8) looked like as we expected ( spacious, relativelly new furniture, well-equipped kitchen, small bedrooms).
Only one thing made a very bad impresson. When we enter to the apartment we can feel fustiness. I found black mould spots in the bedroom!!! We have complained about it. They was not able to give us another apartment. They sent cleaner to reclean the room. Cleaner removed the stains from the wall, but that wrong smell stayed there the whole vacation. It was a big disappointment with this residence. I don´t understand how they could in this bad condition give the room to the quest.... I was worried about our children not to become ill in this unhealthy room. We have booked the accomodation in January, so I thought we will get better apartment.
We have used the Diamant Hotel services, food was various ( only soups were not according to our taste), staff was always smiling, helpfull, well-kept surroundings ( flowers, cleanness ).
Other negative was that we had to pay in advance for the apartment, because the system not allowed to charge money from the credit card + ants in the kitchen.
Except of the mould in the bedroom our vacation would have been perfect.:(

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family