Rin Bay View Bungalow & Restaurant(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$189
  • Pool
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$464
US$338
Agoda.com
US$436
US$391
US$405
US$212
Agoda.com
Green Papaya Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$151
US$136
US$304
US$243
Sunset Cove Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$85
Orbitz.com
US$1,351
US$1,249
Cancelon
All reviewswellness centreyoga classesopen mic nightraw foodmr moonguys barstar housenew agesteam roomspa treatmentsweight losshaad yuandetox programtaxi boatpre and postamazing foodlong tail boat
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

What an amazing place...coming from Ireland we just had such an adventure. From arriving on to the beach by speedboat the adventure began straight away. You just feel like you have arrived in a place, not home, but full of friendly,helpful,beautiful people. There is so much to do if you want or so little to do, you can only relax & unwind. We completely left life behind, did some yoga, swam, walked the trails to the little beaches, ate such beautiful fresh food and completely chilled. All this happened because of the surroundings put in place by Michael, Nolan and all the beautiful staff who made our stay so special. Nothing was too much trouble for these people, always one step ahead. From the spa to the wellness centre to the tea temple to the yoga, there is something for everyone. The vibe in the restaurant, the Open Mike night, the background music were all just so beautiful, chilled and relaxing. We were spoilt for choice with sleeping options, beautiful jungle houses, air conditioned rooms, all clean, comfortable , with the best views on the planet. While the place is special, the people are more so, well done Jill, Michael, Nolan, Chard, Sam, Mimi and so many more. Hope to see you all again soon.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
SanctuaryThailand, Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hi Mary and thanks for your stellar review . We loved your family visit- you are well relmember by all - it was great to see the unity and fun you all had - i hope you can return again soon - Thanks for your honest review :-) Mike

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

I have stayed in the resort for 3 weeks to joined yoga teacher training course. Would love to say thank you to Sam and team who worked hard for us. I was enjoying to stay with the resort but only few things need to improve. First yoga mat that resort prepared for us it wasn't good quality and too old. Second unfortunately I haven't seen the resort prepared small towel during when we were practicing. Absolute yoga or another professional yoga resort they always prepare it. Last thing, the beach in front of the resort wasn't clean at all I had to walk to Haad Yuan which is cleaner and nicer.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Hi and we are so glad you enjoyed your training with us . Your comments on the Yoga mates are well noted - We had an order in to replace all our mats after a busy season - but unfortunately they were delayed . All halls now have lovely new mats and we have a good stock - sorry about that . The other centers you mention charge an "arm and a leg" for their trainings and have to offer many added extras. Most students carry their own personal towels we have found . Our beach is different to Had Yuan but not dirty :-) its cleaned daily of the human debri the seas bring in in the wavey season - . Delighted you enjoyed most of you Sanctuary Experience , our crew are amazing and we do hope you will return sometime . Mike

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

I came here for a 200 hour yoga teacher training and was highly disappointed. My bungalow was in the "slum area* of the resort near the dorms reserved for yoga groups. The bungalow was dirty, the fans provided full of dust, the mosquito screen was brioken; my bed had springs coming out of it. The cleaning service was terrible since the sand under the bed remained there for the 3 weeks I was there. The final straw were the hopping fleas on my bed. The dorm area had a total of 8 showers - 4 shared independent ones and 4 in a common space.. The independent shared showers had trickles of water coming out and often the group had to use a bucket to wash. The common shower (with 4 shower n it) did not work at all. Therefore 18 people on the yoga course had to use only 4 showers that did not even work properly.
Location wise the dorm area is situated at the top of the resort. This means a steep hike in a humid and hot jungle about 6 times a day to go up and down to the beach area. Not the best for any training courses.
Food wise the sanctuary has a nice menu and good food. However the prices are very high and for my course variety was lacking. Although the organiser of the course approached management numerous times to vary the food; our group was given pretty much similar things every day.
All in all I would not recommend the dorm area for groups unless your aim is to test the endurance of participants.

All this said, I have no idea what the other bungalows were like as I experienced only the dorm area. But I can say that because of its isolated location, the prices are super high espcially for Thailand where you can get lovely accommodation for a fraction of the price. Consequently the place foes not feel authentic and attracts that kind of clientele.

Also note that the resort does not have a boat to get you to and from haad rin like other resorts in the area. Therefore you may also get ripped off by the tail boat people who know that they can rip you off as you are essentially dependent on them.
Location wise the beach is lovely but the neighbour beaches are much prettier and more authentic. The staff working at the restaurant were helpful.

All in all I was highly disappointed with the sanctuary and that the marketing is good but the reality in my experience of the dorm arra poor.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
SanctuaryThailand, Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Dear Sea Buttefly.

We are so sorry that your budget accommodation was not to your satisfaction. We remember you very well at Sanctuary and, together with the YTT Group leader we do feel that we did everything we could to accommodate your needs. We have just conferred with her - she and we had no complaints of fleas in this facility - nor did our concierge so I do question this report. We are very attentive to critters in our rooms

We tweaked the delicious subsidised food menu many times over the course of the program - based on all students feedback.

From the thanks and hugs we received at the end of the program (sorry you were not here for that) I do think 99 % of the students had the time of their lives at Sanctuary - I know that the group leader was very happy as she has already booked a retreat for next year.

We do and did acknowledge some issues with the showers in our lovely Group Dorm / room space but were unable to attend to it during your stay as it required bigger and noisy work which would have disturbed your intensive group.
This work has now been attended to, magic dust has been sprinkled and we are very happy and proud to offer this space to other incoming retreats. This space is especially priced for budget retreats and groups - We also offer a much wider range of budget and deluxe bungalows - suitable for all budgets.

The taxi boat services that operate from and to Had Rin and service all 3 bays are under the auspices of the local Thai Community . No resorts are allowed to run their own taxi service – apologies

Best wishes

Nolan

Reviewed 11 May 2017

When I first booked The Sanctuary, I was expecting a small, cosy, friendly place, but when I got there all the magic and grandeur of the place started to sync in.
The place stands in a really beautiful beach, and the place itself is quite big with an enormous rather community than guest, as I could feel.
Mr Moon and Gabriella as well as the other staff made me feel really welcome and all needs met (including finding me a HDMI cable for my laptop, something I didn't imagine would be possible to find there lol).

If you're a nature lover and active person who loves hiking, running like me, surely you won't be put down by the steep hills at the back of the resort leading up straight to the mountains or the rocks that surround the beach, wanting to climb them and have a dive. Few people done it or didn't even know it was possible. And if you love your morning run, you'll find that a Friday night party at Guy's bar that goes on until next day is really good for stopping by and dance in the sun with your brothers and sisters to burn extra calories. Top Tip!

The restaurant serves amazing, tasty and succulent healthy food, but if you're looking for a full body detox, you'll find the wellness center just nearby. Very peaceful with great atmosphere.
I would highly recommend a body detox, as you'll find it very useful in many ways.
It's also mind cleansing and will also help you in many other areas.
I went there for the detox to try and bring a balance in my life, and almost trying it as my last call for personal problems and it worked like magic.
I'm now more energetic, balanced and have clearer thoughts and stress none to 0.

Just remember that you're in for a great adventure and just enjoy it to the fullest.

Room Tip: I stayed at the C2. Really cute room with huge bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Dionathan D
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

The beach is nice but seriously the staff is not kind. For a "sanctuary" I did not feel any happiness from anyone working there.
I also really really disliked the fact that we had to pay for wifi. Honestly I felt those people were here to make money.
I really hate when people use the hippy this way.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Hi there Lucie , Thanks for your words,
Very interesting that you had to pay for your Wifi - which would indicate you were not a guest at Sanctuary, as we give all our guests free internet.

Sorry you didnt find our lovely staff hospitable when you popped in to see us - we find them the jewel in our crown

Best wishes