“Great Climbing”

Spidermonkey Climbing
Reviewed 1 January 2015

Took my daughter climbing here. Was a little worried that she was too young (she's 10 years old) but she did better than I did! It was enough adventure for us both! Great safety procedures, we were always well cared for and fabulous instruction. Thanks!

1  Thank turtletango503

Reviewed 12 September 2014

I had learned after going through some hoops to find the right Spider Monkey that there is a look a like company that has taken on the good name that Book has created and is trying to capitalize on the Climbing Guide business. I'm a decently experienced climber who climbs in Cali and I found that Book was very on top of safety. He quizzed me and did all of the normal safety checks I would do in regards to double backing your harness, tying all the right knots, being aware of which anchors are sort of shady vs. which ones are bomber. On top of safety, Book is a down to earth guy who is really cool to hangout with. After an awesome day with him, he gave us some really good tips on where we could go for some deep water soloing. Again, make sure you find Book's shop which requires you to take a right after passing the big boat restaurant. Please beware of the copy cat company for the following reasons:

- They are inexperienced
- They are inattentive: Smoking while belaying you, etc.

Notice, that all of the bad comments are because of this look-alike company. Enjoy Koh Phi Phi!

5  Thank Stephen L
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My instructor, Book, was really helpful and motivational as I really struggled doing it. It was a one-on-one session as nobody else had booked onto it meaning I could take it as quickly or as slowly as I liked.

He was a wonderful guy! Eventually, despite all his motivational talk, I did give up anyway. I'd tried it, done two climbs and my legs and arms were shaking. It was very hard to do as I'm so weak, but he was still so friendly.

He could have just called it a day and said goodbye, gone for dinner early, but instead he took me to a bar to meet his friends to teach me to tight-rope walk and then invited me to watch him fire spin later in the evening which was very enjoyable.

2  Thank Scarlett M
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was looking forward to climb on Koh Phi Phi but this shop managed to waste three of my days on the island including enormous disappointment and no climbing after all- since you really should choose your climbing company wisely I chose spider monkey climbing- however on the first visit I forgot my passport which is needed for the insurance one day prior to climbing- so I wanted to come back the next day. Not staying close to the center and with a sick friend I tried to call the next day and wrote an email with my details to book the trip- however mr book was not available- there was never any reply to the mail although you get an confirmation that says they get back to you within 24 hours. Since I really wanted to climb here I elongated my stay for one night and went by the shop the next day- nobody was there. So I called again in the evening finally reaching mr book and almost begging to go climbing the next day. So I had to send him my details via SMS and I thought finally it would work out. I got a confirmation SMS so the message went through. When I went with my climbing gear to the shop the next day- happy and prepared to FINALLY climb, mr book said he didn't get the message so I couldn't climb today. I couldn't believe it and went back to my hotel with tears in my eyes. I was so disappointed I even didn't want to try another company. This is yet another example of how people on this island apparently don't need customers and the climbing community seems to be quite different from what I am used to in Europe. So all in all- the shop lacks kindness and effort to make customers feel taken care of so maybe after all it made sense I didn't climb with them.

3  Thank DR1988