“Awesome and safe deep water solo adventure”

Spidermonkey Climbing
Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

A friend and i were in the south for climbing for a month last year (i finally go around to downloading this app). We decided to deep water solo on phi phi. We talked to one guide service that was cheaper than Spider Monkey but they ran a lot of different tours and the guides could not answer basic climbing questions. We decided to go with Spider Monkey because Book was really knowledgable and involved in the rebolting effort. We had a totally awesome day. Book is very knowledgable and safety conscious. He really loves climbing and that is not the feeling we got from the other guide service we talked to. It was for sure one of the big highlights of our trip. Sorry for the late review Book (do you read these?) but better late than never.

2  Thank mattsauce

Reviewed 21 May 2015

If you're at all interested in climbing, you have to deep water solo with Spidermonkey Climbing. Very knowledgeable guide with reliable gear. Safety focused, and fantastic customer service. May be the highlight of the entire trip. Hard to beat free soloing 20 meters and peeling off into the water at the top. So much fun.

2  Thank TheChuckDee
Reviewed 1 January 2015

Took my daughter climbing here. Was a little worried that she was too young (she's 10 years old) but she did better than I did! It was enough adventure for us both! Great safety procedures, we were always well cared for and fabulous instruction. Thanks!

1  Thank turtletango503
Reviewed 12 September 2014

I had learned after going through some hoops to find the right Spider Monkey that there is a look a like company that has taken on the good name that Book has created and is trying to capitalize on the Climbing Guide business. I'm a decently experienced climber who climbs in Cali and I found that Book was very on top of safety. He quizzed me and did all of the normal safety checks I would do in regards to double backing your harness, tying all the right knots, being aware of which anchors are sort of shady vs. which ones are bomber. On top of safety, Book is a down to earth guy who is really cool to hangout with. After an awesome day with him, he gave us some really good tips on where we could go for some deep water soloing. Again, make sure you find Book's shop which requires you to take a right after passing the big boat restaurant. Please beware of the copy cat company for the following reasons:

- They are inexperienced
- They are inattentive: Smoking while belaying you, etc.

Notice, that all of the bad comments are because of this look-alike company. Enjoy Koh Phi Phi!

5  Thank Stephen L
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My instructor, Book, was really helpful and motivational as I really struggled doing it. It was a one-on-one session as nobody else had booked onto it meaning I could take it as quickly or as slowly as I liked.

He was a wonderful guy! Eventually, despite all his motivational talk, I did give up anyway. I'd tried it, done two climbs and my legs and arms were shaking. It was very hard to do as I'm so weak, but he was still so friendly.

He could have just called it a day and said goodbye, gone for dinner early, but instead he took me to a bar to meet his friends to teach me to tight-rope walk and then invited me to watch him fire spin later in the evening which was very enjoyable.

2  Thank Scarlett M