“Great views, below average guides”

Spidermonkey Climbing
Reviewed 3 January 2016 via mobile

The views are fantastic, and climbing is always fun, But Spidermonkey didn't live up to its reviews.

The directions they provided us were wrong, which made us over 30 minutes late. No big deal. But the guide took the company's mistake out on us by acting rude, telling us "don't talk ok" when we asked a question, and generally giving us dirty looks.

When we got to the rock wall, I noticed that one of the climbing shoes I got from them had a hole in the toe (not ideal since you use mostly that part of the shoe while climbing). I asked the guide if there was another pair of shoes available. He curtly told me none were available and that I should have inspected them more closely back at the shop.

After climbing for an hour or so, they started treating us more normally and we got a few good climbs in.

The climbs were all easy (nothing over a 5.8), so not challenging if you have experience but good for beginners.

All in all, can't recommend this place. There's surely a more friendly company in ko phi phi (or better yet, go to Railay Beach, the climbing is way better and so were our guides!).

6  Thank Mason W

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

A friend and i were in the south for climbing for a month last year (i finally go around to downloading this app). We decided to deep water solo on phi phi. We talked to one guide service that was cheaper than Spider Monkey but they ran a lot of different tours and the guides could not answer basic climbing questions. We decided to go with Spider Monkey because Book was really knowledgable and involved in the rebolting effort. We had a totally awesome day. Book is very knowledgable and safety conscious. He really loves climbing and that is not the feeling we got from the other guide service we talked to. It was for sure one of the big highlights of our trip. Sorry for the late review Book (do you read these?) but better late than never.

2  Thank mattsauce
Reviewed 21 May 2015

If you're at all interested in climbing, you have to deep water solo with Spidermonkey Climbing. Very knowledgeable guide with reliable gear. Safety focused, and fantastic customer service. May be the highlight of the entire trip. Hard to beat free soloing 20 meters and peeling off into the water at the top. So much fun.

2  Thank TheChuckDee
Reviewed 1 January 2015

Took my daughter climbing here. Was a little worried that she was too young (she's 10 years old) but she did better than I did! It was enough adventure for us both! Great safety procedures, we were always well cared for and fabulous instruction. Thanks!

1  Thank turtletango503
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 September 2014

I had learned after going through some hoops to find the right Spider Monkey that there is a look a like company that has taken on the good name that Book has created and is trying to capitalize on the Climbing Guide business. I'm a decently experienced climber who climbs in Cali and I found that Book was very on top of safety. He quizzed me and did all of the normal safety checks I would do in regards to double backing your harness, tying all the right knots, being aware of which anchors are sort of shady vs. which ones are bomber. On top of safety, Book is a down to earth guy who is really cool to hangout with. After an awesome day with him, he gave us some really good tips on where we could go for some deep water soloing. Again, make sure you find Book's shop which requires you to take a right after passing the big boat restaurant. Please beware of the copy cat company for the following reasons:

- They are inexperienced
- They are inattentive: Smoking while belaying you, etc.

Notice, that all of the bad comments are because of this look-alike company. Enjoy Koh Phi Phi!

4  Thank Stephen L