“Nice place”

Barracuda Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #12 of 181 Restaurants in Koh Tao
Price range: US$3 - US$17
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in the centre of Sairee Beach, Barracuda is a laid back and stylish dining alternative. Specialising in a large selection of seafood and Thai style fusion dishes. Within our extensive menu you are bound to find something to suit all tastes. After training as a Chef at, English's Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar in Brighton, straight from school in 1998, Ed moved to Koh Tao in February 2007, where he has since been working as a chef at various locations around the island. Ed had developed his menus using feedback he has received from his customers since he opened, Barracuda, in July 2010. With his latest menus, Ed has started to introduce the "Thai Fusion" range of dishes to suit all tastes, these are proving to be extremely popular with the locals and tourists alike.
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Although I have been to Koh Tao many times this is the 1st time to this restaurant. I went at the invitation of friends who live on the island to join them for dinner. I was very impressed. The starter of duck liver pate was fantastic and filling. I then had to have one if the signature Barracuda dishes. Brilliant. Even the red wine was a very good standard and all for half the price you would pay in London. The staff and the owner were very attentive without being intrusive. Just perfect. Best to book rather than just turning up.

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
“Brilliant food and service!”
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed every bite when our food arrived. Tasty starters, mains and delicious cocktails. This restaurant offers a superb variety of Thai/western dishes. The staff are very friendly, attentive and dedicated hard workers. The owner keeps a keen eye on things and really has a hands on passion for this restaurant. Highly reccomend!

Vienna, Austria
“Best food experience of Southeast Asia”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We came around New Year time and you need to reserve because they are often fully booked but you'll discover why when you get there!
The food is delicious, it is a great fusion between Thai and European food. There are so many good dishes on the menu that we came a second time! We each had the barracuda specialties the first time and sashimis, tuna steak and cheesecake the second time. The owner is passionate, he is there every day/night and he makes sure that you are well taken care of. The staff are friendly and very competent. It was my best food experience of Southeast Asia!

west yorkshire
“Great Fish!!”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We dinned here during our stay in Koh Tao after seeing the reviews on TA and were not disappointed, we were quickly seated during a busy service and felt really welcomed by the English and Thai Staff.
We sampled the Chowder, King prawns and fresh barracuda which were all fresh and superb.
A restaurant well worth seeking out and one to re visit when we return to the wonderful island

Thank Adele and Phili... H
New York City, New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We came here feeling very excited about a change of pace cuisine wise after weeks of roaming around Thailand eating Thai food. I ordered the stuffed chicken breast and tuna sashimi and my boyfriend ordered barracuda cakes and red curry. I was surprised by the size of the portions for our appetizers--they were huge. The sashimi was served at room temperature which I found a little concerning. The barracuda cakes were 97% breaded and fried potatoes which I found really disappointing. The entrees came out and my plate looked great. I dug into my heap of mash potatoes onion rings and chicken to find that the meat was really tough. It was supposed to be stuffed with feta but didn't find the cheese till I was half way through the fillet. I cast aside a part that looked a tad undercooked and shared some of the chicken.with my boyfriend only to find towards the end of my meal raw meat on my plate. The guy working the bar apologized profusely and told me I would not be charged (which was in my opinion the least he could do) and offered me a dessert which we refused since we were both nauseated by this time. He charged us for everything else including my boyfriends meal that was not finished as his plate was also contaminated with the chicken and taken away before he had finished his own meal. There's no excuse for serving raw chicken--it's dangerous and can cause serious illness. Hopefully I will not be poisoned from my exposure!

• Visited January 2013
Edjones500, Owner at Barracuda Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
Hi there,

I would just like to begin my apologising once again for the situation that occurred with the chicken in my restaurant the other night. You are totally correct in your response, that there really is no excuse for serving undercooked chicken and I am deeply sorry that this happened.

However to future readers I would just like to give some feedback on some of the points raised in your review:

You mention about not being happy with your appetizers, however when I checked on you whist eating them you told me that everything was delicious and never mentioned anything negative about the tuna or the Barracuda cakes. I would just like to clarify that the tuna is extremely fresh and is kept refrigerated, but when taken out the fridge it is sliced and put straight on the place and served immediately.

As for the situation with the chicken, as I said to you at the time I was very embarrassed and apologetic about the whole situation as this is the first time in 2.5years of being open a mistake like this has occurred and yes you are totally correct there is no excuse for this.

My decision to not charge for you dish is 100% mandatory if a mistake has been made or if someone is not happy with something that is served to them. However I only removed your boyfriends’ plate because he said he was finished, I didn’t actually realize the reason he told me that he’d finished was because it had chicken on it, had I have realized this at the time I would never have charged him for his dish either, I only wish you had raised this point when you were in the restaurant

I would just like to clarify to other readers about your last comment;

“Hopefully I will not get poisoned from my exposure.”

This to me is a little confusing as you wrote this review on 28th January 2013, but you visited my restaurant 10 days prior to this, so no, you obviously did not get sick otherwise you would definitely know about it by now. This is why I don’t believe the full story has been portrayed within the review.

Please can I end by apologizing once more and encouraging future readers to take a look at our more positive reviews and you will see that this was a very rare mistake and this was a one time situation within Barracuda.

Thank you for taking the time to read my response and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Best regards, Ed