“Top Notch Customer Service amidst breathtaking views”

Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

I had the good fortune of staying at the Sarova Lion Hill for a business trip for a week. I consider myself one of the luckiest people in the word to have had the opportunity to stay here. Above all- each and every staff member must be trained in world class guest services! As a Walt Disney World Alum, I’m aware of good service when I get it and these folks go above and beyond. After a week here I not only feel welcomed by all staff, but loved and cherished and will take these new found friendships with me for the rest of my life.

The hotel itself is incredible- a wonderful view of the lake and beautifully landscaped grounds. The bar area was elegant, the restaurant, the pool and the conference room all were great. My hotel room was also great- my only comment is that the ONLY pictures advertised are of the top tiered rooms- which to some could feel a little misleading. However all rooms are certainly satisfactory and even the cleaning crew is as great at service as anyone else front of house.

The food was marvelous- plenty of options including local traditional meals and other delicacies. For dinner, they have a charming young man playing a guitar and can play most of your favorite songs. The wait staff is also impeccable. They also have a nightly traditional song and dance show complimentary for guests.

For our large group they were even willing to help us throw a small happy hour near the pool. They went above and beyond to make sure we had beverage service and a fun environment complete with colored lights and chairs. There- the customer service remained!

And finally, there are the magnificent environment you are in! You can go on three hour game drives throughout the nakuru lake park. We saw plenty of buffalo, zebra, impala, baboon, giraffe, rhino, flamingo, and heyena. I heard from several other guests they also saw lions as well. Sunset- when you get one- can be breathtaking as seen in my images below.

Thank you to each and every staff member who made our stay here feel safe, warm and like we will always have a place to return. Our retreat attendees all stated how welcoming and affirming all staff were to us and our very diverse attendees.

A shout out to- Evans, Edwin, Angela, Ruby, Lucy, Andrew(s), Peter, Ian, Matata, Frederick, Samuel, Keziah, Patrick, John, Benjamin, and Chefs Robert, Steve, Komu, and Tobias. You all have something very very special that you provide this venue- your warmth, your love and your beautiful energy. Thank you! Peter I promise the next time you see me I will know more Swahili!

I fell in love with this place because of the people above all else!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Ronnie K, General Manager at Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Happy New Year greetings from Sarova hotels.

Thank you very much for your great feedback and choosing to stay with us.

We are elated to learn that you enjoyed you week stay with us. Am happy to note my team did exude professionalism and exceeded your overal hospitality experience.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

We went there for the christmas holiday and we had a great time. The food was delicious and variety,the hotel staff were great as well esp the ones based in the restaraunt. We enjoyed the game drive too. Thank you Lion Hill family

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Ronnie K, General Manager at Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Happy New year!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your feedback on your memorable stay.

Am happy to note that the food service and overal festive service made your stay memorable.
Am glad to note my staff took good care of you as mentioned.

We do look forward to hosting back you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Booking with Sarova can be a nightmare. I was put on hold for quite a while, slightly over 10 minutes, there were promises to call back, and it took the fun out of staying with them that I had half a mind to look for another lodge in the reserve. However Jackson who I finally got on phone apologized for this and held my hand through it all. Thanks Jackson.

When we got there we were warmly welcomed with a glass of juice and a packet of wet wipes (I wish they had warm towels) but there is no sitting bay at the reception. This means you alight your car and your plus your luggage get to enjoy some stand time for close to 20 minutes despite the fact that we had even called before to notify them that we were on our way.

After that we were taken to our rooms. My God the rooms are small. We even called it a bedsitter because of how small it was. We ended up updating to a Ziwa suite which was much more luxurious save for the dated furniture. The beds are comfortable. I kid you not. The beds feel heavenly to sleep on. The shower works perfectly and the room service team should be applauded. Our room was kept clutter and mess free for the 3 days we were there. I also got a wonderful cot for my son and it made our nights that much more relaxing.

The food at the dining was amazing. Plenty of variety and every meal was different. However we got to a consensus that the evening meals were way better than lunch meals. Then there is the guy who serenades with his guitar. What a cheerful jolly good fella. He has such a good voice and made dinner that much enjoyable.

Before dinner there are traditional dancers and they dance their hearts out. This makes for good entertainment considering the day can be a bit meh as there isn’t any activity at the hotel.

Speaking of activities, there is a pool. A cold pool. That’s it folks.

The massage was good but not entirely my best. I was relaxed and the ambience is amazing in the massage room. The masseuse was friendly. I forget her name, she is short, light and quiet. Not unnecessarily chatty. A quality I liked a lot.

When checking out I noticed a-bit of an attitude from the lady at the reception area. It confused me but I suppose that’s the attitude to expect from most Kenyan hotels. Unenthusiastically friendly. It rubbed me the wrong way as I didn’t understand it but I wasn’t too bothered to confront the reluctance in being served. Perhaps it’s because I was checking out and my stock value immediately depreciated. I don’t know.

Overall, I would recommend it but it requires patience. Also do not by Jove book anything less than a suite. Oh and go with games if you are staying for more than 1 night.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Happy new year greetings!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and giving us your candid feedback.
We welcome your insightful comments on your experience with us and take note of your feedback in reference to the rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

The moment you arrive it is wonderful. Food was great, front desk staff amazing and you simply feel like home from the moment you get there. Everyone knows your name, what you and greets you like old friends.

Our game drives were perfect arranged by Lion Hill and we saw so many animals and the lake just oozing life. Although the park lacks elephants like Massi Mara, it is smaller and just super enjoyable. We really enjoyed our time and could have stayed more than just 2 nights. The value at hotel is fantastic, the only drawback is the expensive park entry fees that make staying there longer a bit less appealing for extended stays. We also visited the spa and Jane was super! Great service and great value. Had a 2.5 hour session with 3 services for $85.

We give this hotel thumbs way up and as we are planning to return next year and bring a large group of friends, we will plan to stay there so everyone can experience what we just did.

Room Tip: We stayed in standard room and it was great
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Ronnie K, General Manager at Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear Guest
Happy Holidays.

Thank you for visiting and taking time to giv3 us 6our feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff and food amazing.

Look forward to hostin* you again.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

We stayed at the lodge for a day while on our honeymoon safari trip and had a great experience. We were greeted on arrival, our bags taken to our room and told that there was live entertainment that night, which was amazing. All the people at the hotel were really friendly and attentive. We looked forward to our meals with a great choice of tasty buffet food at our fingertips that meant we always went back for seconds. We loved having a room that was our own cabin. The room was a reasonable size and adequately equiped. The bathroom was ok - not the greatest luxury but functional and good enough. We would recommend visiting the gift shop as there are some things in there that we didn't come across elsewhere and was reasonably priced. All in all this was a great hotel and we would definitely come back to stay and hope to visit Nakuru again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for taking time to visit us.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay and found our services professional including awesome food.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Best regards

6.5 km away
Flamingo Hill Tented Camp
Flamingo Hill Tented Camp
#2 of 7 in Lake Nakuru National Park

Been to Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge? Share your experiences!